Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Factory reset questions

I've done a search on the forums and internet and didn't see much info about this.

I am contemplating a factory reset to resolve some minor issues with my phone. It's bone stock and has never been rooted, and never will be. I've installed 70-80 apps and uninstalled some I didn't want. I'm new to Android with my DX2 purchased on 6/20/11. So far I'm loving it, but not sure what exactly a factory reset (Menu>Settings>Privacy settings>Factory Data Reset) will do to my phone and what I need to do/reinstall after a factory reset. Apparently there is a popup or something that will ask if I want to erase internal storage. DX2 Factory Reset

1. Should one do a factory reset every once in a while to keep things running smooth?

2. Will I need to reinstall all the apps I've downloaded and installed up until this point?

3. Should I format internal storage as well? Or is this part of the factory reset- the erase function?

4. Will my phone be back to the Android 2.2.2 that came on it? If so, I'm thinking the very first thing I should do after the factory reset should be to install 2.3.3 back on it, correct?

5. Do I also have to re-activate the phone and go through that whole process?

6. Is there a way to backup all my phone settings so I won't have to figure out all of that over again? I did see under Settings>Privacy Settings there is Back up my data, which says "Back up application data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers", but what exactly are "other settings" and where is this info stored?

Sorry so long winded, I'm just trying to weigh whether this is going to be worth it in the end depending on what all I have to do after a factory reset, never having done one before.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default Re: Factory reset questions

I can answer some of your questions because I have done a couple factory resets on the X2. I had some issues on my first X2 (bad lag, randomly restarting itself) that I tried solving by doing a factory reset. It didn't work, so I took my phone back and got another brand new X2. No issues with the second one, but I factory reset it again once I got home from the Verizon store (just cause they had installed 2.3.3 at the store, and I wanted to start fresh with the new OS installed).

2- Will I need to reinstall all the apps I've downloaded and installed up until this point?

Yes, though if you go to Settings/Privacy Settings/ and enable "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore." the phone will automatically restore all apps you downloaded from the Android Market. You'll have to manually replace apps you got elsewhere (like Amazon App Store).

3- Should I format internal storage as well? Or is this part of the factory reset- the erase function?

I reformatted the internal storage (why not?). It's not automatically part of the factory reset...but a pop up will ask you if you also want to reformat the internal storage and SD card (or media card) as part of the factory reset.

4- Will my phone be back to the Android 2.2.2 that came on it? If so, I'm thinking the very first thing I should do after the factory reset should be to install 2.3.3 back on it, correct?

Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) will remain on the phone after the factory reset. You will not have to reinstall it.

5- Do I also have to re-activate the phone and go through that whole process?

You will have to re-activate the phone, but that's part of the initial setup of your phone after the reset. It's super easy...and takes a minute maybe. You don't have to go back to a Verizon store or anything. It's the same thing as if you dialed right now *228 and selected option 1.

6- Is there a way to backup all my phone settings so I won't have to figure out all of that over again? I did see under Settings>Privacy Settings there is Back up my data, which says "Back up application data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers", but what exactly are "other settings" and where is this info stored?

See answer to #2. I don't know right off hand what "other settings" are. You will have to replace the icons/widgets on your desktop. One way around that is to use a launcher software like Launcher Pro or Go Launcher EX. Then you can backup all your icons/widget settings on to the SD card.

I don't know the answer to #1...but I'm guessing if you don't have anymore issues with it after your factory reset, then don't bother. But I am curious to hear others opinions on that.

I hope this helps!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Factory reset questions

Thanks alexlc13!

I've been having a few issues with some texts that appear to have been sent to find out they never did. Also had a few random reboots. Hoping a factory reset and installing only the apps I really need might make these glitches go away.