Any X2 dealbreakers as a first smartphone for my retired mom?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My 60something mom wants a smartphone. She saw the X2 rated very well in almost every category in Consumer Reports. I like that it has a big screen, is thin, and doesn't have the 4G battery life downside. Her main stumbling blocks with any smartphone will be that she can't read small print without her reading glasses and is not tech savvy, but aside from a big launcher I've seen, I don't think there's much we can do about that. I drive an Incredible 2 and would just have her get one of these, but I feel that the earpiece is just too quiet. I can tolerate it grudgingly, but I don't like it and don't want her to have to put up with it. If it was your 60something mom, would you say the X2 has any particular dealbreaker flaws that would make you not recommend it to her?

elphie28

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I am just under 60, and I'm somebody's mother, and I love my DroidX2! I can't really think of any reasons NOT to get her this phone unless she doesn't want a larger phone. I wear bifocals and the print is easy to read on most sites without making additional changes. If I do run into a situation where something is difficult to read, I either select a larger font (on sites that offer that option) or I rotate to landscape. The colors are vivid, and there is just so much to do with this phone that doesn't involve games! The speaker is ok for music, I load books so I'm never without one, I do load word games from the app store, and I browse and email a lot. I once had an Eris and I had an Incredible, but the X2 is my favorite of all of them, so I hope your mom enjoys her's if that is the way you decide to go .Best of luck!

WVULTRA

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure who your provider is; but my wife's several years away from 60 and we just updated her from an original flip razr to the X2, and she loves it! And yes, she's used to using her reading glasses when using the IPad or her new phone. Verizon offered her an $80 coupon to upgrade, so she got the X2 for $20 and tax.

Highly recommend the X2!

;)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I love my X2. My Mom is around that age, and, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend my phone to her... or anyone for that matter. When I bought my phone, I did a ton of research, and, at the time, there wasn't a better 4.3 inch option out there. Now there are some other options.

I'm sure the X2 is still free, but, there might be other free phone options out there to consider. Or if you are willing to spend 50, you could get a Droid Bionic. I have heard good things about it, and, the display is the same size. I guess what I'm trying to say is, make sure to check other similar options out there. Unless you already have, then just ignore this. :D

Are there any other phones you were considering?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10