Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Theot's Avatar

    Posts
    199 Posts
    ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

    Default Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Does anybody else have an issue with their X2 when it's plugged in to either the wall or computer of the screen not responding like normal thus rendering the phone completely useless while charging? It doesn't happen every time, but probably 35% of the time which is still more than it should. And it's not just my phone either, my wife's X2 does it as well and all 3 of the X2's I've had have done it on both stock and eclipse.

    Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue.

    Tapped from my Eclipsed X2
    Last edited by Theot; 02-01-2012 at 11:08 PM.
  2. #2  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    I have had my X2 since basically launch, and, never experienced this issue. Know someone else with an X2, and, they haven't either. When did you get your phone? Just curious if maybe it was a problem with the batch or something. If both phones are experiencing it, that might be the case.

    Also, 35% is very accurate... I like it.

    If it's really bugging you, and, the phones are relatively new, I'd return them and get new ones. If not, I'd at least contact Verizon and make a stink about it and try and get them to replace them.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    Does anybody else have an issue with their X2 when it's plugged in to either the wall or computer of the screen not responding like normal thus rendering the phone completely useless while charging? It doesn't happen every time, but probably 35% of the time which is still more than it should. And it's not just my phone either, my wife's X2 does it as well and all 3 of the X2's I've had have done it on both stock and eclipse.

    Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue.

    Tapped from my Eclipsed X2
    Since it's happening with all the phones you and your wife have had, I'm wondering if it's an app setting. Some programs have a setting to only sync or update while charging. Maybe an app that you load on all your phones has this setting, and as soon as you plug it in, it starts to sync or dl a large amount of info. I know if I'm downloading a few app updates and try to do something else, it bogs my phone waaaaayyyy down. Dual core optimization would be nice, some day.

    Just a thought.
    Verizon Moto X - Stock
  4. #4  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by myriad46 View Post
    Since it's happening with all the phones you and your wife have had, I'm wondering if it's an app setting. Some programs have a setting to only sync or update while charging. Maybe an app that you load on all your phones has this setting, and as soon as you plug it in, it starts to sync or dl a large amount of info. I know if I'm downloading a few app updates and try to do something else, it bogs my phone waaaaayyyy down. Dual core optimization would be nice, some day.

    Just a thought.
    That's a good point. You could try doing a factory reset, and, not install any apps. Then use the phone for a while and see if the issue still occurs.

    Or before taking that step, if it's something with data and apps, you could try turning your phone on airplane mode for a while and see if you can reproduce it, if not, you know what your culprit is. Well, not quite, but, at least you know it's probably an app. Then you could try uninstalling whatever apps are the same on both phones one at a time until the problem goes away.

    But, if you don't care about your phone setup, the factory reset test would be way easier and less time consuming.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    I've had this happen a lot also. When I plug it in, either to the wall or computer with stock cable, screen is almost unresponsive, can barely even text. Keyboard doesn't work right half the time, takes twice as long to type out a message. Any more, if I'm texting, I'll plug it in to charge, and when I need to send something more than just a few words, I'll unplug it just to be able to type. Then plug it back in as soon as i'm done. I'm on my third phone, exchanged for many various reasons other than this, and every one of them has done this. And I've tried it from factory fresh, and still does it. No clue why it does it, but have learned to work around it. I'm tired of exchanging for this reason or that. The one I currently have has been relatively decent, so I can work with it. But rest assured, I'll never own another Motorola phone, just too many bad experiences. Had the orginal x, and after three of those, demanded an upgrade. Was suppose to get a droid 3, but at the last moment they decided to give me the X2 instead. Come to find out, same amount of problems with it also.
    But this one i have right now is workable. Very low amount of problems compared to the others I've had. So, I can't bash it too much.
    Last edited by Cereal_Killer; 02-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.
  6. #6  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience. I know someone with an X and someone else with an X2, and, no one has experienced any issues like this, or, any other issues that would warrant getting a new phone. All issues I've had have been solvable and were Android issues.

    I'm not sure I'll get another Moto phone in the future, I'll get whatever phone catches my eye when I'm ready for an upgrade. However, if we don't get ICS I will indeed be upset with Moto and that will factor into my decision when I'm due.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Theot's Avatar

    Posts
    199 Posts
    ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    I have had my X2 since basically launch, and, never experienced this issue. Know someone else with an X2, and, they haven't either. When did you get your phone? Just curious if maybe it was a problem with the batch or something. If both phones are experiencing it, that might be the case.

    Also, 35% is very accurate... I like it.

    If it's really bugging you, and, the phones are relatively new, I'd return them and get new ones. If not, I'd at least contact Verizon and make a stink about it and try and get them to replace them.


    I've had this one since 2 days before Christmas. Its my 3rd one in 6 months and all 3 have done it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
    I've had this happen a lot also. When I plug it in, either to the wall or computer with stock cable, screen is almost unresponsive, can barely even text. Keyboard doesn't work right half the time, takes twice as long to type out a message. Any more, if I'm texting, I'll plug it in to charge, and when I need to send something more than just a few words, I'll unplug it just to be able to type. Then plug it back in as soon as i'm done. I'm on my third phone, exchanged for many various reasons other than this, and every one of them has done this. And I've tried it from factory fresh, and still does it. No clue why it does it, but have learned to work around it. I'm tired of exchanging for this reason or that. The one I currently have has been relatively decent, so I can work with it. But rest assured, I'll never own another Motorola phone, just too many bad experiences. Had the orginal x, and after three of those, demanded an upgrade. Was suppose to get a droid 3, but at the last moment they decided to give me the X2 instead. Come to find out, same amount of problems with it also.
    But this one i have right now is workable. Very low amount of problems compared to the others I've had. So, I can't bash it too much.
    I'm on my 3rd one in 6 months. First one got so hot when I was using it I asked for a swap. 2nd one that just got replaced 5 weeks ago the 3g radio just up an died on it one day.

    So needless to say moto and verizon have left a sour taste in my mouth because I chose the X2 as a replacement for my 4th Fascinate. Not sure I want any phone verizon is peddling when my contract is up but fortunately their customer service has sold me on sticking with them as they've replaced my phone 7 times in a year.

    Tapped from my Eclipsed X2
  8. #8  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble. I have my phone plugged in frequently and didn't notice it. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out to see if I'm having the issue.

    Wow, seven times. That's a lot of phones. I'm surprised they didn't try and give you hard time about it a few phones before that. Good for you for making them replace their messed up products so relentlessly. I'm the same way, so, I appreciate it.
  9. #9  
    bizymare's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    I had that happen quite a bit until the Gingerbread update came out and it hasn't happened since.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    Does anybody else have an issue with their X2 when it's plugged in to either the wall or computer of the screen not responding like normal thus rendering the phone completely useless while charging? It doesn't happen every time, but probably 35% of the time which is still more than it should. And it's not just my phone either, my wife's X2 does it as well and all 3 of the X2's I've had have done it on both stock and eclipse.

    Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue.

    Tapped from my Eclipsed X2
    Just a thought but I read somewhere that these phones need to only use the Motorola charger and USB cable
    approved for the x2. The generic ones sometimes cause data problems.
  11. #11  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by GigaRack View Post
    Just a thought but I read somewhere that these phones need to only use the Motorola charger and USB cable
    approved for the x2. The generic ones sometimes cause data problems.
    Citation needed. Could just be Moto propaganda.

    Seriously though, I use OEM chargers just to be safe. Besides, you can pick them up for a couple of bucks of Amazon, why not use em.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    Citation needed. Could just be Moto propaganda.

    Seriously though, I use OEM chargers just to be safe. Besides, you can pick them up for a couple of bucks of Amazon, why not use em.
    Non Motorola chargers causing crazy stuff was well documented with the first generation of Droids. Phones would open apps, make phone calls and all sorts of other stuff all by themselves. I haven't heard of it with recent phones, but I wouldn't be suprised.
    Verizon Moto X - Stock
  13. #13  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by myriad46 View Post
    Non Motorola chargers causing crazy stuff was well documented with the first generation of Droids. Phones would open apps, make phone calls and all sorts of other stuff all by themselves. I haven't heard of it with recent phones, but I wouldn't be suprised.
    I wouldn't be surprised either, but, that doesn't mean some links wouldn't be prudent. I gave my charger to someone that didn't have an X2 the other day and they had no issues. They used it for hours as well.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised either, but, that doesn't mean some links wouldn't be prudent. I gave my charger to someone that didn't have an X2 the other day and they had no issues. They used it for hours as well.
    Could you please provide a citation from your friend referencing that they didn't have any issues? It might just be Devinator propoganda. :-P
    Verizon Moto X - Stock
  15. #15  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by myriad46 View Post
    Could you please provide a citation from your friend referencing that they didn't have any issues? It might just be Devinator propoganda. :-P
    Well played good sir... well played. Hahaha.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Theot's Avatar

    Posts
    199 Posts
    ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

    Default

    Update, I think it's something in the rom, including the stock rom. I'll venture a guess it may have something to do with blur. Anyway since updating to Eclipse 2.04 and now 2.10 as of yesterday I'm not having this issue.

    Probably jinx myself now ;-)

    Tapped from my Eclipsed X2
  17. #17  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    Update, I think it's something in the rom, including the stock rom. I'll venture a guess it may have something to do with blur. Anyway since updating to Eclipse 2.04 and now 2.10 as of yesterday I'm not having this issue.

    Probably jinx myself now ;-)

    Tapped from my Eclipsed X2
    Well, glad to hear the issue has be resolved. I hope it stays that way. Thanks for coming back and posting your findings.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    I had the same unresponsive issue on galaxy s3 as i was using different wall charger. Once I started OEM charger, problem went away
  19. #19  
    MunkinDrunky's Avatar

    Posts
    76 Posts
    ROM
    DX2:eclipse2.2 Fasn8:ICS

    Default Re: Phone almost unresponsive when plugged in

    Im just going to put my experience out there and some of my thoughts in this matter. For the most part ive just ignored my unresponsive screen problems, but now after reading through this thread, I wonder if something else might be going on with this phone from time to time.

    I should say I use exclusively a non moto usb cable as I dont have one. I am on eclipse 2.1 (damn i can remember which 2... version right now). But i have and always had, even back on non-rooted stock, unresponsive screen issues. The screen would be on and not register any touches and only ever goes back to being responsive if i turn the screen off and then back on. It comes back somewhat laggy then returns to normal. Considering the this phones quirks I think my problem is just problem of ram and the screen get unresponsive. Though my free ram is always around 100. SO when the X2 is charging I am asking if there could a problem with process that monitors battery charging and usb controls that is eating up too much ram or processing? It this just a bad guess?

Posting Permissions

B