Comparisons?

rooktdphi

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the processor, what major differences are there? The photos look like it's pretty much the same. Isn't the point to make it a little better than the last to try and get people to want it?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the DX and really liked the overall design but the camera button was just in the way all the time. Still the camera hump itself could go away as well, but at least the button is gone.

Still everything else is bumped up internally so that makes up for it, and you can get all the accessories you need from the OG DX. Cases of course would have the camera button hole but still cost less.

cromag.rickman

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Aside from the processor, what major differences are there? The photos look like it's pretty much the same. Isn't the point to make it a little better than the last to try and get people to want it?

The processor is a BIG upgrade, more RAM, higher resolution screen. I don't understand how so many folks don't consider this a major upgrade. Is it because of the same body style? Or because it doesn't have LTE? What's wrong with keeping a winning design and giving it current internal hardware? Or keeping it a 3G phone for the millions that don't have access to 4G and won't for the next few years, and in doing so keeping the cost of the phone and eventually, the data plan down? There's benefits to refining an external design and beefing it up internally. You have the brand/phone recognition but with new goodies.

Kinda like how they got Razr's in everyone's hands, and how it ended up being such a popular phone. *NOTE* They took the Razr thing TOO far without a major redesign, I agree. But this is only a second generation, they're allowed, and in my opinion, welcome to keep some things the same.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I like what it offers, plus if Moto follows the same format as the OG DX we will get a lot more FREE storage memory than the ThunderBolt. Advertised as 8GB with only 2.38GB available. The OG DX was advertised with 8Gb and came with ~6.5GB (I forget the exact amount since I sold mine). Still the better screen, memory, bigger battery without the hump on the back an lots of already existing accessories available is a winner.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Has a bigger non-hump battery been confirmed for the X2? At any rate, I have the extended Moto battery on my X and I don't mind it one bit.

Supposedly the X2 will bring:

QHD screen resolution
Tegra 2 dual-core CPU (either 1ghz or 1.2ghz) and GPU
768mb RAM
Faster responding camera

All of this in exchange for the trade-off of (likely) less battery life and no more camera button. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I would also anticipate that the HDMI-out will become a LOT more useful on the X2, as most of the Tegra2 tablets allow full mirroring output via HDMI.

I personally don't need a FF camera or LTE at this point in time. Battery life & device performance are more important.
I like the X2 formfactor and the physical Android buttons. I have invested heavily in a Moto car dock, desktop cradle, 2 cases and 2 spare batteries for my current X. So I could very likely see myself picking up an X2 later this year at full price or a gently used one to replace my X. Then when I am eligible for renewal in 2012, I can see what the LTE landscape looks like at that point in time. Something tells me the X2 may be the VZW sleeper hit of the summer, performance-wise.

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The processor is a BIG upgrade, more RAM, higher resolution screen. I don't understand how so many folks don't consider this a major upgrade. Is it because of the same body style? Or because it doesn't have LTE? What's wrong with keeping a winning design and giving it current internal hardware? Or keeping it a 3G phone for the millions that don't have access to 4G and won't for the next few years, and in doing so keeping the cost of the phone and eventually, the data plan down? There's benefits to refining an external design and beefing it up internally. You have the brand/phone recognition but with new goodies.

Kinda like how they got Razr's in everyone's hands, and how it ended up being such a popular phone. *NOTE* They took the Razr thing TOO far without a major redesign, I agree. But this is only a second generation, they're allowed, and in my opinion, welcome to keep some things the same.

I agree, why are people freaking out about very little cosmetic changes, look at the 3rd gen iPod touch compared to the 2nd. And the 3GS compared to the 3G. They're just updating the internals. If apple can do it, so can motorola.

Sent from my (almost) HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Reactions: DROIDFANX2

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I am sure almost every one with the X has got the Real HDMI app. So if the X2 had mirroring than iam in.

I have had no problems with my X and all I want is dual core and mirroring than I think this is a great updated phone. Don't care about 4G or front facing camera.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, dual core, ffc is not requirement for me. Processor, memory, storage display if you can put all of that into a design that works (sure it looks the same) but it's what's under the hood that counts. Didn't anyone see the movie Raith (with Charlie "tiger blood" Sheen)?

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully enough people don't look to interested in the X2 and we all can pick one up for 149 or unrealistically for $99. A man can dream.

jcrawford777

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, dual core, ffc is not requirement for me. Processor, memory, storage display if you can put all of that into a design that works (sure it looks the same) but it's what's under the hood that counts. Didn't anyone see the movie Raith (with Charlie "tiger blood" Sheen)?

Everyone that see my DX loves the look anyway. And even after a year I still think it's pretty cool. Gotta do something with the battery though. I can't get near a whole day ever

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately the extd battery fits with the std battery door (allows cases to fit). But you will get more time out of a 3G DX2 than a 4G phone.

Jager#CB

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My present contract is up on June 13th. I hope the X2 released/available by then. I really have no need for 4G and the X2 suites my needs very nicely, at the present time...

If you haven't already seen this, here is a benchmark test as compared to other smart phones:

motoroladroidx2benchmar.jpg

Works for me!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Those are some serious benchmarks. I am having trouble deciding between the Droid Charge 4G LTE SuperAMOLED+ Screen single core, etc, etc vs the DX2 3G Dual Core Tegra 2, more RAM, more Internal storage etc, etc. I like them both but can't use to at the same time and I won't be buying both either.

They are both coming this month its just a matter of when.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Charge comes with a 32GB card, has a better screen (SAMOLED), and of course LTE and a FF camera. And it supports more devices with its hotspot feature.

The Drod X2 counters with a dual-core CPU, better GPU, higher-resolution screen, more RAM, more internal app storage, HDMI out and better battery life. It's also possible the camera on the DX may be a bit better than what's on the Sammy.

Then there are the intangibles such as the higher likelihood of timely OS updates on the Moto versus waiting on Samsung.

Since I already have a DX and would be buying the device at full price or used, the DX2 is a no-brainer. If I was a new customer and getting a sudsidized device w/ contract, I'd still probably lean toward the DX2. The Sammy has a few major pros but the X2 just has more overall points in its favor.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What's more important to you duel core or 4g? Are you sure you have 4g in your area?

Actually I want both, dual core and 4G. My market will have 4G by end of summer, so I will have it. I take bench marks for what they are, tests that can be accurate or not, but still lower RAM and lower internal are two negatives.

I can live with 3G just fine, I just didn't want to get caught on the wrong side of 4G when the prices go up, up, and away.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Charge comes with a 32GB card, has a better screen (SAMOLED), and of course LTE and a FF camera. And it supports more devices with its hotspot feature.

The Drod X2 counters with a dual-core CPU, better GPU, higher-resolution screen, more RAM, more internal app storage, HDMI out and better battery life. It's also possible the camera on the DX may be a bit better than what's on the Sammy.

Then there are the intangibles such as the higher likelihood of timely OS updates on the Moto versus waiting on Samsung.

Since I already have a DX and would be buying the device at full price or used, the DX2 is a no-brainer. If I was a new customer and getting a sudsidized device w/ contract, I'd still probably lean toward the DX2. The Sammy has a few major pros but the X2 just has more overall points in its favor.

I have to agree with you completely, I had the DX before and it was a great device. I regretted selling it and now that its coming back around with big improvements well you understand.

I am very interested to see how the qHD 540*960 display looks in a 4.3" space vs the 540*800 Super AMOLED+ in the same footprint. I know the color depth is a winner on the Charge but sometimes it jut looks weird, and TouchWiz is too iPhonish for my taste. (hen the lawsuit).

I just want it to actually launch on time next week so I can get a droid again, I am sick of not having my droid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol