X2, Bionic or Charge?

Lincoln

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Currently I have a Blackberry Tour and I really can't get rid of it fast enough. The problem that I'm facing is which Android phone to get.

I've heard the Motorola UI is very nice and that Samsung's is "cartoonish", but is the X2 worth it over waiting for the Bionic with 4G or getting the Charge right now? Although the Charge doesn't have a Dual Core if I recall.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
x2 and bionic will be similar other than front camera and 4g and the looks. So its up to you, if you wanna wait or not.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
From what little experience I have using Samsung phones, I've found that I do not like their user interface nearly as much as the UI on Motorola phones. Samsung is also known as being pretty slow to update their phones to the latest version of Android.

Between the 2 Motorolas, you have to decide whether you want/need 4G service (if it's even available in your area) and whether you're willing to trade battery life for it. I'm not a huge data user myself, so I'd rather have a 3G phone that makes it through the day on a single charge of the battery than have a 4G phone that has great data speeds and horrible battery life.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I also prefer Motorola (hardware, software, support) better than Samsung, but in particular here I wouldn't go with the Charge because it's a single core phone. Dual core phones will be standard by the fall, and coming software will be designed around this, so I'd either go with a DX, or if LTE and video chart are important to you hold out for the Bionic (or even whatever Galaxy SII variant Verizon gets).

Only you can decide how important those two things are versus having to wait, but while the screen on the Charge is very impressive I certainly wouldn't spend a large premium to get a phone whose hardware I feel is already almost obsolete.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
Once Ice Cream comes out early next year it will bring optimization for all these dual core phones, Now that Verizon has shafted us by taking away one year contracts its important to futureproof you phone! Skip the charge, it has a great screen but is only single core and will get left in the dust soon. If 4g isn't important to you or not going to be in your area for a long while then got for the X2, its a great phone and it has a dual core processor. But if you can wait sounds like the Bionic is a good choice, or if you really like the screen on the Charge the Galaxy S 2 will be dual core and have that really nice screen!

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Yup need to ask yourself a few questions.
Do you have 4g if not when will you get it?
Duel core or single core?
Moto or samsung?

Now my 2 cent is I live where there is no 4g and don't know when its coming. And have not heard good things about batt life on any 4g phone. 4g is is still new and will get better as time go on. Now duel core phones will becom a standard by the end of the year most likely. The dx2 and bionix will have the same duel core in them the same bloat ware. No front camera on the dx2 witch I don't need anyway,but that might be important to you. We don't know when that phone will come out anyway. No onto motto or sammy. I've had the samsung vibrant and it was a good phone for about a min. No working gps and a very bad lag issue and all updates through mini keys. ( stupid) I don't feel that samsung cares for there customer. So I stick with what works and that's moto. Now im sure that that wont be the same with all of there phones but ut only takes one time for me. But if you can wait there is alway new phones that come out. Some you don't even know about. To me duel core and screen ress is top on ny list. I would go for the dx2 just because it fits my needs, but might not work for you. My situation is im not up for a upgrade untill july 2011. I will still likely get a new phone soon just because I can't wait that long. Im still going to use my upgrade but for now the dx2 will work. And besides I love my dx and love that they didn't change the look. If it isn't broken then don't fix it

Reactions: orchidsbloom

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The dx2 and bionix will have the same duel core in them the same bloat ware.

Actually, the Bionic will not have the same dual core in it any more. The original Bionic is dead, and the upcoming phone will be based on Targa, which has a different dual core (and I believe will be clocked at 1.2ghz).

So the Bionic will be even more beastly, but given its LTE radio it may also have bigger battery life issues (or maybe not, we'll have to see). Of course the earliest we'll see the new Bionic is July, and it could easily be August or even early September if they see any delays.

Android_IPA

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
All will work fine. You'll never notice the difference between a phone with a dual core processor or one with without unless you're running tests.

The real questions are, do you need 4G and do you like to see your screen in the sun?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
All will work fine. You'll never notice the difference between a phone with a dual core processor or one with without unless you're running tests.

Sorry, this is patently false. If you mean "when you swipe between screens you'll never notice the difference" then sure, but there's already plenty of games on the market that you can't even play without a dual core phone, and in the coming year there will be plenty of non-game software as well (and especially after Ice Cream Sandwich launches this fall, which will further harness DC CPUs on phones).

The real questions are, do you need 4G and do you like to see your screen in the sun?

Those are certainly also considerations, but whether they are the most important depends on the user.

Reactions: EleventhHour2139

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What is Ice Cream?

A popular form of chilled dairy usually consumed for dessert.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the code name for the next version of Android that is coming this fall (or early winter). It will unify the code base for phones, tablets, Google TV, and anything else running Android. It will bring full mutli-threaded optimization (so dual core phones will benefit the most) as well as a host of UI improvements and lots of under-the-hood improvements for developers so it will be easier to design apps that work across all Android devices.

Android_IPA

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, this is patently false. If you mean "when you swipe between screens you'll never notice the difference" then sure, but there's already plenty of games on the market that you can't even play without a dual core phone, and in the coming year there will be plenty of non-game software as well (and especially after Ice Cream Sandwich launches this fall, which will further harness DC CPUs on phones).

Those are certainly also considerations, but whether they are the most important depends on the user.
But Ice Cream Sandwich isn't here....and won't be fully up, running and available on all devices for nearly a year. Heck....most devices can't even get Gingerbread yet.

Some folks aren't all that into games, either.

Last edited:

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
But Ice Cream Sandwich isn't here....and won't be fully up, running and available on all devices for nearly a year. Heck....most devices can't even get Gingerbread yet.

Some folks aren't all that into games, either.

This is all well and good (although the DX and DX2 will have Gingerbread in a couple weeks), but that's not the same thing as saying there will be no difference. There will be a huge difference in any CPU intensive app - web browsing with any javascript heavy pages (and especially with Flash) is already greatly sped up since those are tasks that can already be divided amongst cores.

Also, assuming the most people are buying a phone for a full 18-24 months, and there's no questions that dual core machines will see even greater dividends before they move on to another phone (not everyone gets a new phone every 6-12 months).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar