Magnet triggers docking? M-media Center?

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Morning gang,
Went to install one of those dashboard magnetic mounts this morning...

http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userImages/2008-06/19/magnet_104916.jpg

When I went to test fit, my phone said it was docked successfully? So I removed it, and tried again, this time I got Multimedia Center something ..(sorry, I'm not in my truck here). I imagine the factory docking station (whatever it is) is magnetic.... so I don't think I'm going to do any harm installing this in my truck, right?

It's safe to make the mount permanant?

MM

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There are 2 magnets in separate locations on the back of the phone. One indicates that it is in the Multimedia Dock (bedside alarm clock role) and the other indicates that it is in the car dock. One big magnet on the back may activate both, or either depending on how you attach it.

G

GenericMessage

Yeah, you're fine. You wont hurt her any.

If you want to disable this from happening, there are apps in the market that can disable the magnet system from tripping.

ab0mbs

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
There are 2 magnets in separate locations on the back of the phone. One indicates that it is in the Multimedia Dock (bedside alarm clock role) and the other indicates that it is in the car dock. One big magnet on the back may activate both, or either depending on how you attach it.

Theres only one sensor on the back and it works off different polarities from the magnet. One polarity is for the Multemedia dock and one is for the car dock

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Theres only one sensor on the back and it works off different polarities from the magnet. One polarity is for the Multemedia dock and one is for the car dock

^^^ Correct. Other threads discussing this have people taking the base apart and turning the magnet around to fix the problem of the multimedia mode coming up instead of the desired car home mode.

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Can the factory magent in question be removed? Bad idea? I just wanna hang my phone there on my dash..... without any other "things" going on....

MM

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
There's nothing to remove from the Droid if that's what you're asking. If you want to use a magnetic mount then you'll need to look into the dock blocking app mentioned above.