Any early feedback from Droid to Incredible users, worth the switch ?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Incredible has a crap GPU and is bogged down with Sense. I like my phone to do more than scroll through spreadsheets smoothly, Droid for me. These Snapdragon phones are not worth my time, I'm going to get excited with I see a Cortex A9 powered phone.

Bogged down? I don't THINK so! Maybe that crappy cupcake powered Hero/Eris was but Incredible is deff not bogged down in the slightest.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I am anxious to hear from any Droid users who have jumped over to the Incredible.

Are you happy with the Incredible, pro/con's?

I haven't felt the Incredible yet, but I like the form factor, from the pictures I've seen and also the reduced weight.

I have 2 weeks to decide ( within my 30 day period) whether or not to exchange for the Incredible and I am torn.

There are both awesome phones, no doubt... but....

Can anyone give any first had feedback or experience on going from the Droid to the Incredible ?

I haven't jumped ship, I have both devices but unless you can do the same.

To you and anyone in your boat:

* are you eligible for an upgrade soon? You do realize that by the time you are that there will be newer devices available which blow the Incredible and Evo away
* Are you experiencing growing pains with your Droid? (feeling bogged down, having to remove/selectively install apps because you are running out of space). If not then see first bullet point.
* Do you want Sense? Do you do a lot of social networking where Friendstream would be helpfull? If so then it may be worth it to upgrade. Phil put it best when he said that Incredible is a Sense experience phone an those who buy it do (or should) want that experience. And NO, unlike previous Sense devices (Hero, Droid Eris) you CAN NOT disable it. You can hide the widgets but you can't disable it completely and get back the stock Android launcher. If you know what you are doing you can install a few stock 2.1 components like the gallery but for the most part you will have to deal with HTC's software unless you root and install custom roms.
* Are you going to be content on Android 2.1 when 2.2 comes out? Droid will almost certainly get it first because HTC will have to upgrade and test Sense on the new OS and then Verizon will have to do their own testing.
* DO NOT let the lower specs on the Moto Droid dissuade you. It may be 4 months old but it was at least 6 months ahead of anything else at the time and is STILL ahead of 90% of the phones out there now.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Great summary. I agree the Droid in itself is great. I am one of the people who is within the 30 day window to exchange the phone... so trying to decide.

I guess I jumped the gun in this post, for some reason, I thought the Incredible was already out there.... sorry everyone.

What I hope the Incredible might bring is :

1. a little simpler user interface with Sense
2. a lighter phone - I wear slacks for work and the Droid tends to hang down, due to the weight.
3. I like the form factor of the of the Incredible... but some say if feels cheap.. I guess I will have to wait and see.
4. The Incredible seems a little less wide, which might make texting easier ?
5. I have heard the Incredible has a poor battery life.... I can live with a hour or so less life... but if it is really bad, that's a deal breaker.
6. Finally, what about the screen in the daylight, now bad is it really ?

7. I just want a phone that feels good in my hand. Sometimes the Droid feels a little bulky.

Bottom line, I have to think they are both great phones.

Hopefully the reviews from Droid to Incredible users will come through soon.

Sorry everyone, if I jumped the gun on this one.

Jason.

1. Yes Sense does make things a little simpler (and more complex at the same time) and does look a lot more polished than stock Android (ie Droid)
2. Yes Incredible is a lot lighter than Drid, a little too light for my taste but your opinion may differ. You will have to check this out for yourself.
3. I agree that the phone physically feels cheap UNTIL you turn it on and see what a powerhouse it is :)
4. The width difference is millimeters and probably wont be noticeable.
5. Actually it's not that bad. It is definitely less than the Droid is now that I have the batteries broken in on it (I have two) but I've been pleasantly surprised with Incredible thus far. Droid is A LOT easier to take the back off to swap batteries though...
6. The screen in daylight is really about the same as the Droid in my experience. Neither is ideal but they are usable. You aren't gonna find one that you don't have issues with at all.
7. "Good" so relative. Droid is bulky yes, but Incredible feels light and cheap in the hand. I've ordered a silicone backer for it and hope that helps.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
1. Yes Sense does make things a little simpler (and more complex at the same time) and does look a lot more polished than stock Android (ie Droid)
2. Yes Incredible is a lot lighter than Drid, a little too light for my taste but your opinion may differ. You will have to check this out for yourself.
3. I agree that the phone physically feels cheap UNTIL you turn it on and see what a powerhouse it is :)
4. The width difference is millimeters and probably wont be noticeable.
5. Actually it's not that bad. It is definitely less than the Droid is now that I have the batteries broken in on it (I have two) but I've been pleasantly surprised with Incredible thus far. Droid is A LOT easier to take the back off to swap batteries though...
6. The screen in daylight is really about the same as the Droid in my experience. Neither is ideal but they are usable. You aren't gonna find one that you don't have issues with at all.
7. "Good" so relative. Droid is bulky yes, but Incredible feels light and cheap in the hand. I've ordered a silicone backer for it and hope that helps.

thanks for the feedback..... I am leaning toward upgrading today !

TheStig

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm within my 30 days but decided to stay with the droid because all of my android phone buddies say that the droid is more likely to get 2.2 first and that the incredible might not even get 2.2 at all.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Both phones are fantastic. No doubt about it. I switched and the wife kept her Droid, so I've been able to do a lot of comparisons side by side for performance and all that stuff.

A couple pluses for the Incredible:
- Significantly better camera (my main reason to switch, no more point and shoot when I go places)
- Faster page rendering on the web
- More accurate touchscreen
- Better form factor for pocketing in work slacks

Pluses for the Droid:
- Obviously the keyboard is a big one
- Better screen for small text (web pages especially)
- A little better build quality w/ metal accents (but at the cost of weight)
- Vanilla Android (I prefer this)
- Battery Life is better
- Seems to get better reception
- Clearer/Louder speakerphone

So in all, the Droid has a few more pluses in my side by side comparisons, but the things that the Incredible does better are more important to me so that's why I switched. Neither phone will be obsolete anytime soon and both are fantastic Android offerings. Just pick the features that are most important to you and go from there.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Got my Incredible, so far so good, i really like it. But, battery life seems a little less. I have only given it a day of full and heavy use, so still learning about how it will be.

I am seeing some work-arounds regarding battery life such as
'advanced task killer,' keeping wifi off, etc.