What will the emails look like on the droid...

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
With all the questions about push email/the droid speed... I'm wondering what the emails will look like and how fast they will load. Blackberries push email rather than polling and also they send chunks of the email at a time. That's why you can open an email so quickly on a BB and if you scroll to the bottom of the email it says "more available" and then it retrieves another chunk of the email.

This is great for BS emails that I only need the gist of or don't need to see the whole body of. You also select to show images in BB emails rather than trying to pull them all in automatically. However, this typically leaves BB emails looking pretty plain. Just like my experience with blackberries...very reliable, get the job done but without the flash/frills of other smartphones.

By comparison, email on the Pre looked great. They looked just like email looks on a computer. Full images/layouts/fonts all in the correct places etc. The downside was that they took forever to load/check because when selecting to open them they would have to retrieve a much larger amount of data from the network (email with text, pictures, formatting- PRE > email with mostly text and a little formatting- BB).

So i'm wondering if anyone has read or seen anything with regards to this for the droid. It would be a shame if a great email experience was hindered by long wait times to actually see the messages...

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if it looks anything like the 1.6 gmail app, the mail looks almost exactly like how it would look in gmail on a desktop for the most part. i like it a lot better than the blackberry email.

gmail seems to be pushed to the device, but i think my blackberry gets the mail faster than the mytouch i've been toying with. but the mytouch is only on wifi, so maybe if it was on a constant connection it would get it as fast as the blackberry.

the messages load quite fast, the images have a button to click to get them to load, otherwise it just has placeholders similar to the bb mail implementation

IamGov#IM

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
@Adiliyo_________When you say your BB gets the mail faster, are you talking like seconds, minutes, hours? Please specify. Thanks.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
generally seconds, but no more than a minute generally speaking. i'm pretty sure this has to do with the mytouch only being on wifi (so it disconnects when it's just sitting there to save battery) and the tour being on verizon's data network.

i think i got an email once while i was using the mytouch (so it was connected) and i don't think it showed up more than 10 seconds behind the sound i heard for it on my blackberry, so it's effectively the same.

that being said. i FAR prefer the interface on the mytouch over the blackberry