Will an unlocked VZW Droid work on USA GSM network?

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I've always wanted the OG droid and I've ran into one for 150. Problem is, I'm on prepaid GSM (Simple Mobile). I've searched a few forums but never saw an answer. If a Verizon Droid was unlocked, would it be able to work fully with a GSM card?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Can only use the sim card outside the United States. Verizon is CDMA. Global means Mexico or using in Europe

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, there is a SIM card slot but thats prolly only there for manufacturing purposes considering the Droid and Milestone are the exact same phone except for the radios.

So just buy a Milestone which is the same device with a GSM radio

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Can only use the sim card outside the United States. Verizon is CDMA. Global means Mexico or using in Europe

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

AT&T and T-Mobile?

As for the other replies, my fault. I know the difference between GSM and CDMA. I just thought that the VZW Droid was global like the other 2 are (Droid 2 and Droid 3). I know there's the milestone but that's 300 compared to 150 so I assumed that the OG Droid was international as well. So what about the other 2 models (Droid 2 and Droid 3)? Would they be able to function on T-Mobile's network if they were unlocked since they have sim cards? The reason I'm so persistent is because my aunt has an unlocked VZW Bberry Tour that works for calling and texts, but because she doesn't have a data plan she can't use the internet so I've seen it work on one VZW phone. Just trying to see if it applies to all their international capable phones. So far, I'm only finding out that the Droid 3 unlocked works on AT&T's frequencies only

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
AT&T and T-Mobile?

As for the other replies, my fault. I know the difference between GSM and CDMA. I just thought that the VZW Droid was global like the other 2 are (Droid 2 and Droid 3). I know there's the milestone but that's 300 compared to 150 so I assumed that the OG Droid was international as well. So what about the other 2 models (Droid 2 and Droid 3)? Would they be able to function on T-Mobile's network if they were unlocked since they have sim cards? The reason I'm so persistent is because my aunt has an unlocked VZW Bberry Tour that works for calling and texts, but because she doesn't have a data plan she can't use the internet so I've seen it work on one VZW phone. Just trying to see if it applies to all their international capable phones. So far, I'm only finding out that the Droid 3 unlocked works on AT&T's frequencies only

The d2 doesn't have gsm radios. The d2 global does. I believe the d2 global can be unlocked and used on tmo or att. From what I read verizon locks their global phones from being used on u.s. networks and unlocking android CDMA world phones is a pain in a** (not as simple as entering a code like on a blackberry). It can be done, but I believe it requires specific firmwares and is pricey at about $100.

Team Black Hat offers the unlock.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting. I actually like the Inc2 also

@the One and only M thanks for that. I saw several sites offering to unlock the phones but never saw a price.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure GSM networks use SIM cards in all their phones, right?
Yes but whether a device uses a SIM or not doesn't really mean much. iDen devices use SIM's. LTE devices use SIM's. The device has to support the proper network tech and bands. The device cannot have a subsidy/network lock. It's not just a matter of "SIM versus no SIM".

biguunn

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
hello new to this i have a droid 3 that needs to be hooked up i have tmobile and want the links to get it done im a noob at all this so if any one can help me out please. i cant get my money back on this and i like the phone its works good. ill pay what i have to to get this done. HELP:)

VidaOscura

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
um im kinda new to this kind of stuff but i recently got a droid 2 that is already unlocked but i would like to know if i could get it to work on At&t???? and if so would i only have access to certain plans?

kickstand09

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The droid 2 and 3 are able to work for t-mobile and ATT,

Like stated before you wont get the 3 G speeds, but will be on 2G Speeds. The phone is not as easy to crack as most, but it wasn't terrible.

there is a patch on another website that you apply to the phone, it cracks the locks that Verizon placed to prevent the phone to work on other carriers. Once done, and you have unlocked the phone to accept other Sim cards, the phone works great. My Droid 3 is on T mobile right now, and have no problems.

Reactions: timato

Tameka Williams

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: need unlock code for VZW Droid 3

Hey i have the vzw droid pro 3 and i want to use simple mobile can u tell where i can go to get the code to unlock it? for sure i know it runs on the CDMA platform, so it's really HARD TO GET A CODE THAT WORKS PLEASE HELP

Phil Stracchino

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The droid 2 and 3 are able to work for t-mobile and ATT,

Like stated before you wont get the 3 G speeds, but will be on 2G Speeds. The phone is not as easy to crack as most, but it wasn't terrible.

there is a patch on another website that you apply to the phone, it cracks the locks that Verizon placed to prevent the phone to work on other carriers. Once done, and you have unlocked the phone to accept other Sim cards, the phone works great. My Droid 3 is on T mobile right now, and have no problems.

kickstand09, do you still have the files required to perform this crack? All sources for all of the supposed-working tools I've found references to are either dead links or don't work. Even Motorola's help article on how to do it has been removed. I'm trying to unlock a Droid 3 that I replaced in May to use it on T-Mobile prepaid, but so far it's been one dead end after another.