What are the pros and cons of plain android vs. a skinned android

pvk2009

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Will a plain android like the Droid get more frequent updates? If I'm choosing between the Droid and the Eris I'll live with my choice or the next 2 years and the software I get today will not be the same as I have a year from now. What are the pros and cons between a plain vanilla Android and an HTC skinned version?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yes, a plain android can get updates pretty much when they are released (like how the mytouch runs 1.6 while the hero is running 1.5) where a skinned OS has to wait until the manuf releases the updated skinned OS

the senseUI is prettier, has more home screens, and some other functionality made easier to access compared to the plain android OS

pvk2009

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Gizmodo did a nice piece on explaining what is Android and how the open source vs. proprietary lines work.

I would think that the HTC skinning is owned by HTC and therefore won't be available. I'd hope that others would do their own skinning with open source widgets so that the plain android users can customize per taste.

HTC skinning looks pretty and nicely functional but it seems to me you buy into the whole package which means you're using resources of your phone for parts of it you don't necessarily want. It will also be interesting to see how long it takes to update and test before they can release SenseUI for 2.0 and then also what the intervals are going to be for Google to release open source android updates.

Part of my concern with this process is that the platform gets forked. I want Google to be aggressive and keep working diligently on their open source offerings, keep improving and pushing out functionality but what I think we'll also see if they do is a real lag between their updates and companies like HTC, Motorola, Sony, Acer, etc. with their having to update their unique skinnings, etc. I'm thinking about sticking to the plain version so that I can basically ride the wave with Google hoping they stay energetic and aggressive. My fear is that if the handset manufacturers who are skinning the platform get too far behind they'll basically put pressure on Google to sandbag development and releases until some or all of them can catch up.

After Android's initial release it had a big and costly pause. Now we're seeing a lot of movement. Will Google stay a leader or lose interest. That's another concern. Google has a track record of abandoning programs if they think the wind is turning. If that happens then people like HTC will in a sense go off on their own (like they've been doing with WinMo).

Those are some of my concerns. I'm banking on Google staying aggressive. From what I've read and seen in reviews 2.0 has some glaring shortcomings. The camera, the media apps, etc. HTC and others will fill in those gaps for their phones. Will Google get ADHD on us and wander over?

Another concern I have is that Google is basically an advertising company. Will they turn the platform into a way to basically advertise at its customers? The platform has lots of promise but responsible leadership will be what is required to really see it live up to its potential. Can Google do that? I don't know.

p4tr1ck

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
just to chime in on one thing.. i've read that they already have the fix for the camera, of course unless you have a hardware issue which means you'll just have to get new ones until you get a good one. but as for software they already have the fix and its ready to go out on the first update.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
just to chime in on one thing.. i've read that they already have the fix for the camera, of course unless you have a hardware issue which means you'll just have to get new ones until you get a good one. but as for software they already have the fix and its ready to go out on the first update.

Have you seen anything that will address the long email delay from Sal's video blog about Storm 2 vs Droid email both using Gmail accounts?

http: // YouTube - Google E-mail: Droid Vs Storm 2

p4tr1ck

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
not to sure about this, thats the first time i saw a video about the email... I would think there would be some sort of option/app to make it more like "push" email.

pvk2009

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Wow. That's sobering. Despite the browser and the Win98 style interface of my BB I've loved the e-mail service and the little blinking red light. I don't usually need e-mail right away but that's something to consider.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
We'll have to see. I'm hoping that google sticks with it. While we're on the topic...will we have to wait for "authorized" updates from Verizon? I know for the storm/curve/tour/any BB it was a pain to see new OS updates released by other carriers only to be delayed delayed delayed by verizon. So would updates from Google have to be approved by Verizon first?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. SenseUI, MotoBlur, etc are also optomized and use very little resources once you take into account the added functionality that you would need 3rd party apps to replicate. For example - SenseUI = Home + twitter + facebook + weather + flikr + graphical access to wireless settings. That's Stock Android 1.5 + 5 other apps.

2. Once Android releases a new version, companies like Sony, HTC, Moto etc must take the OS and add their home replacment, then test and optomize. This will take longer.

3. It is up to Verizon, Sprint, T-Mo, O2, etc to release their branded version of Android OS. Of course with a rooted phone you can skip the carrier and load it yourself.

4. There is a thread about Sal's mail myth (yes i said myth) that I have tried to explain things a bit http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid/1153-email-issues-droid-long-delivery-wait-time.html

5. Unless you root, you will still have to wait for Big Red just like you did with the BB.

hope this helped

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox