Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Backing Up Apps

I am new to a droid, only having it for about 3 months. I posted on another thread about the phone having a mind of its own, which happened to mine. I ended up getting a new droid and the verizon store told me all my info(contacts, pictures etc) were backed up to my gmail account. I turned the phone on and went though all the steps but non of my apps returned. That was not a big deal but even my paid apps did not return, and when i go and try to redownload them thinking the person i bought the app though would recogize that I already purchased, it did not work. How do I
    1) get back the 2 paid apps i used to have before the new phone
    2) back up all free apps ( currently 90)

Thanks for the help!

Have you tried going into the market>menu>downloads?

That will usually show at least the 'Purchased" applications.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I did try that and it only shows the apps i downloaded currently. thank you for the info tho

For the apps, I'd suggest syncing your installed apps to appbrain, you'll atleast have all your apps for redownload if you change phones. I understand that this might not help with your current situation, but might be useful in the future.

Prior to syncing with appbrain, my paid apps were still there when I changed phones.

PS: I have no commercial or any other interest in appbrain. Just happened to see them refered on a forum here.

Titanium Backup can also back up your apps, paid and free, along with all the user data associated with them. Your paid apps history should be linked to your Google account, so you should be able to redownload the paid apps without having to pay for them again.

According to the "Users: Managing your apps" link that comes up when you select help from the Market, your paid apps should be accessible if you used the same google account to set up the new phone. If they aren't, perhaps you can contact google and let them know your situation. They have to have records of the purchases (if you still have the emailed receipts that would help).

If you want to back up your apps, go to the market and download Astro File Manager. After you install it, tap the menu button on your phone. Press the tools button and then press "Application Manager/Backup". After it loads, tap the check box in the upper right area of the screen to select all apps. Hit the "backup" button on the left side of the screen and all of your apps will be backed up on your SD card.

I copied the file from the phone to my laptop so I always have my apps if the phone becomes unusable or lost.

To restore your apps, install Astro File Manager on your new phone. Menu to "tools", then "backup" like before. At the top of the page will be a tab "backed up apps". Select it hit the check box and then "install". You're back in business.
    Retired Moderator

Carrier
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

only prob with restoring with astro though is that you wont get app update notifications through the market automatically

Apps you purchase are linked to you gmail account are you using the same account you used to buy those apps or did you make a new one?
    Where's the juice again?

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock
    Regular lawnmower man...

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    only prob with restoring with astro though is that you wont get app update notifications through the market automatically
    But if you use both Astro and AppBrain, once you've used Astro to restore your backups, you can use AppBrain to check for updates for the first time. And from there, it takes the updates from the Market, so your future updates will come with market notifications.