Email Issues with Droid - Long Delivery/Wait Time???

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Was wondering anyone who has some experience with Android devices at all or who has seen some other information out there at all.

I just saw Sal's video about the comparison to Storm 2 vs Droid email with both using Gmail account. The Storm got the email instantly while it took like some 5+ minutes before the Droid even registered and got the email and that was after he manually refreshed the Gmail client.

Here is the video link to Sal's Video Email comparison

Was wondering if this is an known issue at all? Since I am spoiled since I have always had a BB and I love getting my emails relatively quick.

Just wanted to know since this is now the only thing that worries me with about 29 hours and 7 minutes until I can actually be at a store to get mine.....and well some other issues like how in the world the camera stinks and just hope that it is a software fix......

Thanks

DK

brandonscott

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I think the droid searches for email every 5 minutes..it's not push.

So yeah the BB is definitely gonna beat it because it's push. as soon as the email hits the server, it's on your BB.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I think the droid searches for email every 5 minutes..it's not push.

So yeah the BB is definitely gonna beat it because it's push. as soon as the email hits the server, it's on your BB.

i know gmail is supposed to be pushed , not sure why sal was having such an issue , i would say there was a setting error

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I am also not sure about it at all either. But I have been having major Gmail issues today with my account. I have supposedly not been receiving all my emails at all that I know people sent me today to my Gmail account. Reason I know is because they were in reference to my new job and I spoke with the HR and Transportation Person who sent the email multiple times. So I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Weird since I have been receiving other emails perfectly fine.

But that would not explain why he got it on his BB quicker.....since I just did not receive the email at all in general :p

The other thing is that I was under the asssumption that the only email that was push email on BB was BIS/BES accounts? So all your yahoo, hotmail, gmail and POP/IMAP emails you setup are all pull email. Is that not correct? And the only PUSH email was the ABCD@carrier.blackberry.net account?

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Was wondering anyone who has some experience with Android devices at all or who has seen some other information out there at all.

I just saw Sal's video about the comparison to Storm 2 vs Droid email with both using Gmail account. The Storm got the email instantly while it took like some 5+ minutes before the Droid even registered and got the email and that was after he manually refreshed the Gmail client.

Here is the video link to Sal's Video Email comparison

Was wondering if this is an known issue at all? Since I am spoiled since I have always had a BB and I love getting my emails relatively quick.

Just wanted to know since this is now the only thing that worries me with about 29 hours and 7 minutes until I can actually be at a store to get mine.....and well some other issues like how in the world the camera stinks and just hope that it is a software fix......

Thanks

DK

A friend of mine has a Android T-Mobile device and his gmail is instantly pushed to his phone. I think Sal had something wrong with the settings and it was causing problems.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine has a Android T-Mobile device and his gmail is instantly pushed to his phone. I think Sal had something wrong with the settings and it was causing problems.

agreed , my buddy also has the g1 and his too is instant man .

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea a lot depends on the servers etc. Even with my BB tour I have a delay depending on what server it uses. My Gmail on the tour is not pushed instantly, but it's quick enough. I'm hoping it won't be a problem for the droid.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Sal either had to purposely sabatoge the video, or he made a mistake. I won't speculate any further ;)

I'll try to explain as simple as I can

BB (on BES)
Instant push from exchange server.
If admin allows other mail accts, only the account from your provider is instant. The RIM server polls the mail server for pop accounts every 18 minutes. If it gets a new message, it polls every 2 minutes for 10 minutes until it gets no new messages, then back to 18 minute intervals. As soon as the RIM server gets new mail for you, it forwards the mail to your device.

BB (on BIS)
Instant push from your carrier blackberry.net account.
Instant push from gmail.
Instant push from Hotmail.
Instant push from RIM server, but as above RIM only polls your pop account every 18 minutes unless it sees a new mail.

Android
Instant push via exchange.
Instant push from gmail.
Gmail polls your pop accounts the same way RIM does. IIRC gmail polls every 16 minutes vs 18 for RIM, but very little difference.
You also have the option to allow your device to poll your pop accounts every x minutes.

On a BB, you log into your carrier BIS page and add your pop email accounts to RIM's server.
On an Android device you can log into gmail and add your pop accounts to google's server.

On a BB you can set filters, return address, flags, etc on your carrier's BIS page.
On Android you can set filters, return address, flags, etc on your gmail page.

On a BB your mail comes from RIM and goes into it's own folder on your device.
On Android your mail comes from Google into your inbox with color coded labels for each account.

On a BB you are forced to either use BES ($$) or push your mail through RIM's private servers.
On Android you can use active sync (free), push your mail through Google's private servers, or pull your mail using your mail app without going through Google.

In short, for the average user on BIS Android's mail is more flexible and can be made more secure than BB. You can opt for the same "instant push" BB user's tend to go on about, or you can configure your mail client to directly connect to your pop server and keep sensitive data away from a third party. The latter WILL come at a cost of battery performance, but it can be set to be very minimal. One company I contract for does not allow their communications to pass through 3rd party servers, and I had a nightmare everytime one of my employees had to communicate with them. Emails came to me and I had to forward to the correct party for every message, and do the reverse for replies. This is not the norm however.

BES does offer encryption.
BES does allow the admin to keep the user's device from directly connecting to the exchange server.
BES allows the admin to control exactly what email goes to the user and what does not.
BES is a huge expense, and requires a well trained employee to administer.

Please - understand that I am trying to simplify this. This is the basic process, and does apply very well to BIS users on BB. I've migrated 14 users including myself from RIM devices to Android devices in the past week, and have ZERO complaints about email. My users are also happy, as they can get their pop mail on the device using the VERY simple set up on gmail, vs having me do it for them using carrier BIS. They do have the burden of responsibility that they can f*ck up their company mail on their own, but I don't hire the average idi*t, and expect them to respect company property.

Hope this clears up some of the typical misinformation getting tossed around.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
wow, loads of information, that would be more than good enough for me, even if i get my emails a few minutes after the BB, i would be satisfied since it's never THAT big of a rush and i wouldn't have a blackberry sitting next to my droid to make me feel like i could have gotten it faster. :)

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
gbhill....nice write up. However I dont know if Sal would sabatoge it at all. He seems to just do stuff straight up....but you never do know. But I will say he did not.

Either way good info on all the other email stuff appreciated it a lot.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
wow, loads of information, that would be more than good enough for me, even if i get my emails a few minutes after the BB, i would be satisfied since it's never THAT big of a rush and i wouldn't have a blackberry sitting next to my droid to make me feel like i could have gotten it faster. :)

No that is true. I think I can stand 5 minutes, as long as it is not like 1 or 2 hours later......now just wait you are going to have an email that you need to repsond to in 4 minutes to claim a bazillion dollars tomorrow and your going to miss out on it ;):p

But I agree with you and a few minutes I can deal with but it is also not that I have a reason to have it right then and there. I could see where you would need it instant based on what you do. But for me I do not.

I cannot wait till tomorrow and then will be flooding and bugging you all with newb questions and issues like how do you turn the device on :p

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad it made sense at least :D

@jdkluck - I'm not trying to outright accuse Sal of ANYTHING. I am assuming that he is tech-savvy enough that he should have realized the playing field was not level. I hope you're right and it was just an honest mistake. For the record I think Sal is an asset to the cell/pda community and wish him only the best. Oh and he has one hell of a car :D

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad it made sense at least :D

@jdkluck - I'm not trying to outright accuse Sal of ANYTHING. I am assuming that he is tech-savvy enough that he should have realized the playing field was not level. I hope you're right and it was just an honest mistake. For the record I think Sal is an asset to the cell/pda community and wish him only the best. Oh and he has one hell of a car :D

I was not saying that at all and I agree to you as well I think he is an asset to all as well. Very informative and well lets people know how it is and be damn about having to be worried about what somoene else says or thinks to keep from saying how it should be told to everyone.

Plus he does have one hell of a car that is for sure as well. Looks like I will be bugging the heck out of you tomorrow :D:p

What phone are you sporting right now?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
heh. Bug away. There will be a learning curve, especially if you've never used Android or even WinMo before, but knowing when to ask for advice is whats going to put you ahead of it :)

Part of my business is electronic repair, and I do a bit of authorized 3rd party work for the big 4 cell carriers in DC. I pretty much have my pick of phones here to test and play with. I'm using a Hero. Most of my employees are using Hero's as well, with a few that were reluctant to give up their Curve 8330. Great phone and I wouldn't force anyone to switch. Business runs on Sprint, so I lucked out this time :)

Do yourself a BIG favor - don't rule out the Eris. Sense + flash + multitouch browser really makes it worth looking at. I will admit the Droid seems like one hell of a phone, but Sense on the HTC (especially the flash support) would win me over if I were on Verizon.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
heh. Bug away. There will be a learning curve, especially if you've never used Android or even WinMo before, but knowing when to ask for advice is whats going to put you ahead of it :)

Part of my business is electronic repair, and I do a bit of authorized 3rd party work for the big 4 cell carriers in DC. I pretty much have my pick of phones here to test and play with. I'm using a Hero. Most of my employees are using Hero's as well, with a few that were reluctant to give up their Curve 8330. Great phone and I wouldn't force anyone to switch. Business runs on Sprint, so I lucked out this time :)

Do yourself a BIG favor - don't rule out the Eris. Sense + flash + multitouch browser really makes it worth looking at. I will admit the Droid seems like one hell of a phone, but Sense on the HTC (especially the flash support) would win me over if I were on Verizon.

Yeah I have been contemplating the Eris, since I liked the Sprint Hero. However I just think the Droid overall is sweet with the screen, browser, speed and just the solid feel of it. That is why I dont think I could ever give up my Storm and go back to my Curve just because I love the huge screen real estate, despite the Storm 1 issues.

Ok stupid question when you say Flash I assume you mean Adobe Flash for browser correct? Just making sure it is not flash ROM or something.

Also the Sense UI looks wonderful and great, I also love the Timescape and Mediascape UI concept by Sony. I figured though since I love the feel of the Droid and think the specs are awesome I should be able to put the Sense UI once someone gets it ready. I also guess if the Droid will be rootable. Either way I have considered it but think and hop over time I should be able to get the Sense UI on the Droid and with Flash coming in 2010 that is also something that will eventually be available.....at least lets hope they keep to there word.

Dont get me started on the multitouch thing at all.....I dont get it and well to me it is just plain old stupid if you ask me. Arggggg

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Trust me man, as soon as the droid is released , and the euro verison is released we will have multi touch on our browser, as for eris , its too slow and laggy , even when it gets 2.0 , the droid + sense UI + flash + multi touch = pure sex in mouth lol

sprke81

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The gmail on my Droid is instant. I don't know what was up with Sal's video. I don't think anybody needs to worry bout it :)

mienberry

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know how well exchange email works on the droid? I think it was BGR's review that said the exchange synchronization was messy.

sprke81

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know how well exchange email works on the droid? I think it was BGR's review that said the exchange synchronization was messy.

I don't think its messy. I had no problems setting up mine for exchange. Of course there's no way to sync your exchange notes. I've heard reports that the way it handles email is terrible. I'm coming from the BB Tour and I am very happy with how it handles my gmail and exchange. Both have instant delivery times. No complaints in the email department. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae