Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default please help he

what is the real dif between the droid and eris i really dont want to spend 200 bucks on a phone but i want the best coolest stuff. if i spend 100 on the eris will i regret it down the road so can someone tell me what the dif is and does it really mean anything. like is the slower eris that much slower that i will notice it. like scrolling is choppy or typing is choppy. i dont care about the droids keyboard by they way i like touch screens anything thoughts will help

Searching never hurt nobody, but I'm bored so ill give you a pass this time.

Droid: faster processor, better graphics processor, bigger screen, higher res screen, physical keyboard, android 2.0, led flash, dvd quality video recording

Eris: thinner, lighter, senseUI, cheaper

Speed wise it just depends on what you do with your phone. But the droid WILL be faster

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

I'm holding both, besides Sense UI I honestly can't say there is much difference between the two.

-The Eris has a dedicated phone button, if you like to talk to people and want quick access to the dialer you probably won't like the Droid....I find it kind of pain to have to navigate around looking for the Phone app.

-The Eris is lighter and smaller, but not so much that I think it'll be an issue with anybody....something about the shape of the Droid makes it feel lighter than it really is (feels less than my Storm).

-The physical keyboard should be a non-factor as well since the keys are smaller and harder to use than landscape on-screen keyboard on the phone.

-The Droid has a larger, higher res screen, but really its not that big of a difference and I've found a few apps that don't support the new resolution properly.

-The Droid has flash with the camera, but the overall pic quality is way worst than the Eris so it's pointless (hopefully it is fixed with a firmware update)

-With performance, with the few Android apps I've tried, the Eris seems smoother....some apps took longer to load on the Eris but once loaded they seemed to perform better than Droid. I think the big issue with performance you need to look at though is that the Eris is basically the 3rd attempt at the Hero, so they've slowly gotten the performance to something decent....how much more can they squeeze out of the device? On the flip side, the Droid has random performance issues, but this is the first firmware of a new OS on a new phone by a company that just started making Android devices, I suspect they'll have future updates that will make the phone perform much better. So if you had to look at potential performance I think you'd have to consider the Droid over the Eris.

-The price difference shouldn't be a big deal either....it's a $100 difference (more than $100 if you pay retail), but over the life of the device (err contract) the $100 shouldn't matter....If you can't afford to pay the $100 more for the Droid then you probably should reconsider owning a smartphone and paying the $30/mo extra for the data. Now if you don't think the Droid is worth $100 more, than that's another story and I can't honestly say one way or the other.

-The Eris does have SenseUI which blows the pants off the default Android interface....not that you can't customize the Android interface on your own, but I don't think you'll get anything as good as SenseUI. Hopefully Google wakes up and modernizes their interface a little more.

I personally am going to use the Droid as my primary phone and use the Eris for development....but I can't exactly say why I think it's better though.

Don't forget the GPS on the Droid. Does the Eris have that as well? I just used mine on a 40 mile drive and I can tell you it is so much better than navigation on the iPhone.

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by waremaster View Post
    Don't forget the GPS on the Droid. Does the Eris have that as well? I just used mine on a 40 mile drive and I can tell you it is so much better than navigation on the iPhone.
    Eris has GPS....but I assume you mean GPS navigation. I also assume that when Eris gets the 2.0 update that it too will have GPS navigation and even if it does I would guess that Google would eventually put the app in the marketplace, but I may be wrong.

i don't think the app would go into the marketplace, it seems to be tied to 2.0, so eventually everything that gets updated to 2.0 should get the navigation.

to clarify, they both have GPS, but only (right now) the droid has turn by turn spoken navigation.