1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching to a replacement Droid...

Hey everyone,

My brother is getting a replacement for his Droid and needs to know How the switching process works. How can he get all of his apps back, contacts, emails, etc...

Thanks!

All you have to do is log into your Google account with the new phone and everything will synch automatically. Once you finish doing this, go to the Market and check your downloads and see if there are any paid apps that haven't downloaded and download them. But Google saves everything to your Google account and so you don't actually have to do anything.
    OG Droid > Moto Droid 3.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Really? That's pretty cool...I didn't know they backed up the apps.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It will back up all the paid apps, they will show in his marketplace, the free ones will not though. Sometimes its a good way to clean up the phone, I often times forget some of the free apps that I had, because I never used them, so they dont end up getting downloaded again.
    Follow Us on Twitter
    [@jareddipane]
    [@AndroidCentral]
    GenericMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Jared DiPane View Post
    It will back up all the paid apps, they will show in his marketplace, the free ones will not though. Sometimes its a good way to clean up the phone, I often times forget some of the free apps that I had, because I never used them, so they dont end up getting downloaded again.
    It will very much so show ALL of your apps (paid or not) in your downloads section. As long as you sign in with the same account you downloaded them with.

Trust me, I've gone through a few of these things.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMessage View Post
    It will very much so show ALL of your apps (paid or not) in your downloads section. As long as you sign in with the same account you downloaded them with.

Trust me, I've gone through a few of these things.
    Funny that when I wiped to factory this morning, and went to download it all my free apps weren't there

I've done it a time or a hundred, and never have they appeared in that list in the marketplace.
    Follow Us on Twitter
    [@jareddipane]
    [@AndroidCentral]
    GenericMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Jared DiPane View Post
    Funny that when I wiped to factory this morning, and went to download it all my free apps weren't there

I've done it a time or a hundred, and never have they appeared in that list in the marketplace.
    Then you sir, are the exception.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ah, I stand somewhat corrected. I am sorry.

"They do the first time you log into the market with a new device or after a wipe. They dissapear if you don't dl them again."

-thanks GB
    Follow Us on Twitter
    [@jareddipane]
    [@AndroidCentral]
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Is there a way to backup settings? Or do you need an app like My Backup Pro for that?

If you go into your google account settings theres an option to back up settings with google. Also for when you log into your account and are downloading your free apps again make sure you don't rotate the phone because that will cause it to load the apps again and the free ones will be gone. What you should do is back up your apps with astro file manager and that way you'll know what you have.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Question on Insurance

I am curious to hear from anyone who has had their Droid lost or stolen (or broken)...what is your experience in getting the replacement? How long did it take and what was the total cost?

Maybe I am just being paranoid. I am very careful. But I'd like to know what to expect just in case it happens.

(I assume everyone who has a Droid is also on Verizon...so we all have the same insurance options?)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Well, my brother got some dust under his Droid screen and walked into the Verizon store and they had one shipped out to him in no time. A refurb, of course, but I tend to like those more than new ones...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Ok, so this sucks. My brother is transferring all of his data to the new Droid but the apps data is not coming over, even with an app like My Backup Pro. For example, his notepad app is blank. There Must be a way to transfer everythingggg, otherwise every new phone will be a pain in the ***! Any help or is signing into your Google account the only way? Because while that transfers contacts, downloaded apps are left in the dust.
    GenericMessage

My droid even backed up the wallpaper! lol
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

What was your process!??!?
    GenericMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    What was your process!??!?
    No process

thats whats so AWESOME about android phones, it did it ALL automatically!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Its so weird then that my brother is having trouble. All you did was sign into your gmail and it brought back google stuff AND your free apps from the market?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

So I think I found out what my brothers problem was. He didn't have the "sync data to Google" thing in the privacy settings checked! Oh well, haha
    GenericMessage

Well dats yer problem right der!

If you want to back up your apps, go to the market and download Astro File Manager. After you install it, tap the menu button on your phone. Press the tools button and then press "Application Manager/Backup". After it loads, tap the check box in the upper right area of the screen to select all apps. Hit the "backup" button on the left side of the screen and all of your apps will be backed up on your SD card.

I copied the file from the phone to my laptop so I always have my apps if the phone becomes unusable or lost.

To restore your apps, install Astro File Manager on your new phone. Menu to "tools", then "backup" like before. At the top of the page will be a tab "backed up apps". Select it hit the check box and then "install". You're back in business.
    GenericMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Keysopen View Post
    If you want to back up your apps, go to the market and download Astro File Manager. After you install it, tap the menu button on your phone. Press the tools button and then press "Application Manager/Backup". After it loads, tap the check box in the upper right area of the screen to select all apps. Hit the "backup" button on the left side of the screen and all of your apps will be backed up on your SD card.

I copied the file from the phone to my laptop so I always have my apps if the phone becomes unusable or lost.

To restore your apps, install Astro File Manager on your new phone. Menu to "tools", then "backup" like before. At the top of the page will be a tab "backed up apps". Select it hit the check box and then "install". You're back in business.

We just went over why you don't have to do that.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

What the ****. I just had to factory reset my phone because of an issue and I just signed into my Google account and I have to re-download all of my apps. Ok, that's fine, but all of the apps data is gone! What the hell? Even my ringtones are now different. I have to fix everything. When I had my Blackberry, everything could be restored. WTF Google?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Ok, so I'm bringing back this thread! Does anyone know the best way to get back your apps DATA if you're not on 2.2 Froyo? Anyone? Is it even possible?