Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Are These BB Features Available on Droid?

I miss a few things-- are they possible on Droid?

Push and hold for CAPS

Auto Correct (So when I type "ill" my BB would change to "I'll" for me; or "were" became "we're").

And how do I change/create ringer profiles such as LOUD, QUIET, PHONE ONLY, etc.?

THANKS!!

i think there's an app to make profiles.

double tap the shift key to put it in caps lock

i haven't looked into the auto correct custom settings.

Yeah I cannot find the profiles thing at all other than

1) Silence
    2) Vibrate for calls only

I think Adiliyo is correct I thought I saw an app for profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by jdkluck View Post
    Yeah I cannot find the profiles thing at all other than

1) Silence
    2) Vibrate for calls only

I think Adiliyo is correct I thought I saw an app for profiles.
    Hit the tab and goto settings you can find it there..

Quote Originally Posted by BiGTooT View Post
    Hit the tab and goto settings you can find it there..
    what tab are you talking about?

I'd love to know what app is for the custom profiles. On my tour I have a "work" setting and a "home" setting which are perfect. Does this app allow customizing the vibrate pattern? In my BB profiles I know that 3 short vibes = appointment, 1 short vibe = email, 1 medium vibe = text, lots of short vibes = phone call. It's really helpful when I have my phone in my pocket and I'm in a meeting or somewhere else when I can't access my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by largeselection View Post
    I'd love to know what app is for the custom profiles. On my tour I have a "work" setting and a "home" setting which are perfect. Does this app allow customizing the vibrate pattern? In my BB profiles I know that 3 short vibes = appointment, 1 short vibe = email, 1 medium vibe = text, lots of short vibes = phone call. It's really helpful when I have my phone in my pocket and I'm in a meeting or somewhere else when I can't access my phone.
    Locale (scan this using Barcode Scanner from the market)

Also search for "locale plugins" it's amazing what you can do with profile managment.

that's the one i was thinking of, just couldn't remember the name.

thanks!

Not a problem. I use a very convulted and difficult profile system, and I'm just estatic that there's an app that automates it for me.

Great app, unfortunately I couldn't find a plugin which allows you to customize the vibration patterns...

That's built into lots of apps, but I don't think there's a locale plugin for it YET. Suggest it to the devs, they are great guys. I already did

no hold for caps
    no cut and paste
    cramped keyboard.
    Returning mine for a BB..Tour or a Storm II
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

The hold for CAPS, and the auto dictionary are the two things I'm really missing! I don't like having to puncuate my words... I want "shell" to turn into "she'll" automatically. Is there an APP for this, or have anyone found if there is an internal dictionary that can be modified to auto-correct? Thanks!

to go into caps lock all you have to do is tap the shift key twice. this works on the hard and soft keyboards

to go into a num (alt) lock just tap the alt key twice

the closest way for autocorrect i've found without looking for an app, is to add the word to the custom dictionary, then it will show up when you type it similarly and you can select it as a suggestion. eventually the phone should make that the default auto correction option.
    Last edited by Adiliyo; 11-07-2009 at 11:25 AM.

From what I understand multi-touch is not enabled in the apps that come with the phone but the hardware is there. Via the Google has this disabled for its proprietary apps (like google maps) and so it can't be enabled on them (see the HTC SenseUI) but it can on the open source apps that are part of the OS (like the browser, again see the HTC skinning). HTC has their own keyboards replacing the open source ones that 2.0 comes with. So

1. Can you download your own keyboards to replace the 2.0 ones that will use multi-touch (and therefore doing shift+letter for caps)
    2. how does this work on the physical keyboard?

I believe you can download different on-screen keyboards as I've seen a number available in the android market. So far I'm pretty happy with the on screen keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by pvk2009 View Post
    From what I understand multi-touch is not enabled in the apps that come with the phone but the hardware is there. Via the Google has this disabled for its proprietary apps (like google maps) and so it can't be enabled on them (see the HTC SenseUI) but it can on the open source apps that are part of the OS (like the browser, again see the HTC skinning). HTC has their own keyboards replacing the open source ones that 2.0 comes with. So

1. Can you download your own keyboards to replace the 2.0 ones that will use multi-touch (and therefore doing shift+letter for caps)
    2. how does this work on the physical keyboard?
    1. yes you can download different keyboard from marketplace and use them instead.
    2. the physical keyboard works like you would expect. click shift to capitalize, double tap to caps lock, or hold to capitalize multiple letters

bonus! 3. you can double tap alt to put the keyboard in a numlock too.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

This is all great information, thanks everyone! People coming from BlackBerry know what I mean when I say "hold for CAPS". This isn't cap lock... it's when you push a cetain letter and hold it, it will capitalize. Very convenient for typing people's names since you dn't have to first hit the shift key. I'll get used to not having it.

i'm coming from blackberry and i didn't know about that...

i tend to not write people's names in my messages or in conversation very often i've noticed..i'm one of those people that are also bad with names..related?

i think so.

for names though, the dictionary in the phone seems to be pretty good at pulling names from your contacts and seeing when you're typing them and replacing it with the autocapitalized version of it.

i've found i trust the autocorrect in the droid far more than i ever did on my storm or pearl (and the tour didn't have one with the physical keyboard and all)

Anyone know if the vibrate customization is available now? I need the phone to vibrate differently or Touchdown to vibrate differently.

Quote Originally Posted by cbelldina View Post
    no hold for caps
    no cut and paste
    cramped keyboard.
    1) caps exists, just hold the upper case key and it fixes to caps.

2) cut and paste exists, just long press your text and menu comes up to copy. same thing for pasting, long press a text inpu

3) cramped keyboard - well you're stuck with that one

Quote Originally Posted by dagostin View Post
    1) caps exists, just hold the upper case key and it fixes to caps.

2) cut and paste exists, just long press your text and menu comes up to copy. same thing for pasting, long press a text inpu

3) cramped keyboard - well you're stuck with that one
    2 doesn't work in the web browser or emails and the droid copy/paste support is mediocre at best. There's a few ways to copy/cut and paste though

From a response I posted at crackberry
    If you're in the web browser trying to quote a post for instance, you can hit the menu button, more and scroll down to Select Text and swipe across the text you want to copy. Then click in the reply box, long press and choose paste. In emails, you can hold the Shift key on the physical keyboard and swipe across the text. Copying stuff from a text box is easier since you can place the cursor before the text you want to copy, hold shift and then use the dpad to highlight. Hold the menu key on the physical keyboard and hit C to copy and menu+V to paste

Quote Originally Posted by cbelldina View Post
    no hold for caps
    no cut and paste
    cramped keyboard.
    Wow, this guy really did his research and learned a lot about the device before arriving at an informed and reasonable conclusion.

One other thing they dislike about the Droid: no web browser. Oh, and the inability to make phone calls or send text messages.

Yeah, they're right... the blackberry is superior. Im gonna return mine too. Let me enable my free GPS navigation and get directions to the nearest Verizon store so I can return this crap. I'll just finish downloading my free music from imusic, do some full HTML browsing and NOT pull my battery, check my available memory or wait for the reboot.

Enjoy your Storm.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    The hold for CAPS, and the auto dictionary are the two things I'm really missing! I don't like having to puncuate my words... I want "shell" to turn into "she'll" automatically. Is there an APP for this, or have anyone found if there is an internal dictionary that can be modified to auto-correct? Thanks!

Couldn't agree more on both of these points. For those of you saying "all you have to do is double tap the caps button"... well, you just aren't getting it. It's not the same thing.

oh my, you can't hold the letter down to make it capital. The AutoText correction feature was nice but the benefits of a Droid still outweigh the benefits of switching back to the failberry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast