Applications and RAM on the Droid

richpjr#AC

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I am toying with picking up a Droid and one thing I gathered from the reviews is that applications can only be loaded in RAM and not on the storage card. Why in the world would they build a major, major limitation like that into the phone? I have a Storm with the same limitation, but that is built on an aging, creaky OS. Android is new and should not be limited like that. Why not use all storage, like Apple does with the flash storage on the iPhone? I don't get it. Is this "fixable" in future upgrades, or is it a limit of the OS?

richpjr#AC

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Being new to the Android world, if you root your phone and something screws up, can you restore to a factory ROM (like you could with a BlackBerry)?

p4tr1ck

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I remember reading that they are going to put out an app say we can do it without getting root access. don't quote me on this because I can't remember the source.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Well that's good to know! Is RAM really going to be an issue? I've installed a bunch of programs and the largest one so far is like 1.33 MB out of like 256MB available? Quick question though, when I look at the running services tab can anyone explain the free space lingo? I see "Avail: 21MB+62MB in 11, Other: 49MB in 3" what on earth does that mean?

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing, to find out how much RAM you have left you have to go to into running apps. But its confusing me. Mine currently says Avail: 15MB + 80MB in 18 Other: 71 MB in 4. Ihave no clue what this means.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I remember reading that they are going to put out an app say we can do it without getting root access. don't quote me on this because I can't remember the source.

i read this too, hopefully it happens soon and the amount of onboard storage becomes a moot point. until then, android apps are small like bb apps, so space for now is not really an issue anyways, you could easily fit a hundred apps on the phone before you ran out of room.

iirc, programs with large amount of ancillary data can load it onto the SD card and pull it from there. a good example is the maps apps that store the maps locally, the app is loaded on the main memory, but the maps are stored on the SD card.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

Sorry, I have to quote you. hehe It completes me...well, my post actually and that whole logical progression sorta thang. I've got your source right here:

Google: ?ISO Developers for App2SD? | Android Phone Fans

You know what I got a kick out of? I found a link in another topic here on this site (Apps) and it showed the entire app catalog and one of the popular apps was a metric app that showed how many new apps were being added each month. Holey Moley! I do believe the app catalog is reaching critical mass. Month over month the increases are huge with Oct. showing some 2,600 apps added and over 650 for Nov. to date! At that rate there will be over 20,000 apps by Feb. if not sooner.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae