How to Convert Video for Droid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

str8sNUTS

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, maybe I'm just stupid, but I've tried using Handbrake (using the Ipod Legacy settings and changing just the height to 480 leaving the width alone) like I've seen someone mention, but the Droid will not play it. The first time around I got audio, but no video and the Droid locked up (wouldn't let me do anything but kept playing the audio) had to do a battery pull. I re-converted the movie, and now when I open up the gallery and go to the videos it just freezes for a minute then I get an error message "Activity Gallery (in application Camera) is not responding".

Any ideas? Would be nice to get a good How-To stickied.

Thanks in advance.

str8sNUTS

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
OK, now I downloaded Astro (file manager) and was able to click on the video file, it opened up, but all I get is audio, no video. Not to mention that the phone freezes up and I can't do anything, can't get the menu to open, can't get to the home screen, nothing. I end up having to pull the battery.

Any ideas?

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmmm, not sure yet at all. I have not tried any videos at all yet. I will check out the videos that I transferred over from my Storm and see if they work at all.

However I am using the same thing you are when I converted them for my Storm so we will see. More to follow when I have some results.

hellboy2232

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
im just using the same videos from my storm and they work perfectly.. They also fill the whole screen where on the storm they would have black bars on top and bottom.. ..The program i used on for the storm videos was DVD fab6

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, maybe I'm just stupid, but I've tried using Handbrake (using the Ipod Legacy settings and changing just the height to 480 leaving the width alone) like I've seen someone mention, but the Droid will not play it. The first time around I got audio, but no video and the Droid locked up (wouldn't let me do anything but kept playing the audio) had to do a battery pull. I re-converted the movie, and now when I open up the gallery and go to the videos it just freezes for a minute then I get an error message "Activity Gallery (in application Camera) is not responding".

Any ideas? Would be nice to get a good How-To stickied.

Thanks in advance.

what codec are your video's encoded in? if you're getting audio and no video, it seems like you have the video encoded in something that the droid can't read

devarshi

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What are you playing the video on? I downloaded a video player app from the marketplace and it played a handbrake encoded video fine.

str8sNUTS

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of Gspot with the file in question:

Gspot.jpg

str8sNUTS

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I was trying to use it on whatever media player is on Droid. Opened up the Gallery, clicked on the video file and viola, audio and no video.

Hellboy, do you have to mess with any of the settings on DVD Fab6? Or do you just convert it and you are good to go?

devarshi

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I was trying to use it on whatever media player is on Droid. Opened up the Gallery, clicked on the video file and viola, audio and no video.

Hellboy, do you have to mess with any of the settings on DVD Fab6? Or do you just convert it and you are good to go?

I don't think the droid comes with a default video player, oddly enough. Go to marketplace and download the video player (mine is just called video player).

hellboy2232

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
click on file to mobile then use the ipod/iphone option. then choose ur file then click on conversion settings... it give u diffrent options.. i use the default..

str8sNUTS

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Hellboy. Just downloaded Act1 Video Player trial, and DVDFab6 and worked flawlessly. Looks like I'll be buying the Act1 Video Player.

maticus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to note that I used Handbrake and the "iPhone & iPod Touch" profile to convert a dvd rip into a m4v file that plays flawlessly on my Droid.

Only edit that I made to the profile was that I cropped the anamorphic bars out and set the video size to 854x342.

Video plays fine from the default video player.

str8sNUTS

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Its just one program (DVD Fab6). Open it:

Choose File To Mobile
Choose Ipod/Iphone
Click to add the source video
Choose the output directory
Click Start

Done. Then you can plug your phone into your computer and copy it over. Then you can choose to use the default media player, download Act1 Player or any of the alternative media players from the marketplace to play the movie on your Droid.

Good luck.

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to note that I used Handbrake and the "iPhone & iPod Touch" profile to convert a dvd rip into a m4v file that plays flawlessly on my Droid.

Only edit that I made to the profile was that I cropped the anamorphic bars out and set the video size to 854x342.

Video plays fine from the default video player.

I'm hoping the next release will have a preset that comes with it for the droid.

pussfeller

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have found the vids i converted with ipodme work fine. Basically, if it plays on an iTouch, it plays on the droid.

I use 480 and fast quality.

To play, mount the SD card, drag the vids to a folder called Video, and unmount, go to Gallery, and they should be there.

I know you can do this manually with ffmpeg, say if you are on linux, but i have not been able to figure out the proper settings. If you are on ubuntu, you will have to search how to get a proper ffmpeg, and then find the settings for itouch

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Was curious if anyone could post some specs of their videos.
I did the conversion using Handbrake. Started with the iPhone Preset and tweaked it a little bit. Not sure if I did it correct. If someone could export their preset that would be great.

Code:
		Before		After
Time		21:00		21:00
Extension	.avi		.mv4
Size		173.6MB		629.6MB

Video
Codec		xvid mpeg-4	h.264 / Avc
Dimension	624x352		624x352
Framerate	24		24
Bitrate		N/A		N/A

Audio
Codec		MPEG 1 Audio, 	MPEG-4 AAC audio
		Layer 3(mp3)	
Channels	Stereo		Stereo
Sample Rate	48000 Hz	48000Hz
Bitrate		133 kbps	N/A

It plays and looks perfect on the DROID; however, I was hoping that I could cut down the size. This seems to make it larger (by a lot).

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
why is your bitrate N/A?

if you can set your bitrate (which in handbrake you can) to something lower, you'll save a lot of space. and on a small screen, you won't really notice the quality loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae