Email Notification Help please

Blacker.the.berry

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
OK...On My 9530 BB Storm I was able customize my notifications like crazy. For each individual contact in my phone book I could set a different notification setting for each means of communication. for example:
John Smith
Phone-Ringtone1
SMS-Ringtone2
MMS-Ringtone3
Email-Ringotone4
IM-Rington5

Or I could Set The same ringtone for all of his notifications. This was very useful because if I was busy and my phone rang depending on the ringtone I would know the importance of the notification.

Another thing that seriously bugs me is that I cant get a notification when one of my IM (instant messenger) Contacts changes his or her status. Like when John smith becomes available I get a little chime or something, or even little notification in t he status bar that just says "John Smith" is now available. It seems almost pointless because most of my IM contacts are never constantly signed on.

If I am being stupid and dont know how to enable features similar to this please call me on it. Or if there is an app that does these things please let me know.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I came from years of Blackberry and I know what you mean. There really isn't as much customization as on a Blackberry. Its really one of the only things I miss from Blackberry. I loved the options you got with the profiles in BB. Something SORT of similar I found is Quick Profiles in the Android Market. It works well but isn't 100% what you are looking for.

Other apps in the market make it possible to customize a bit more for specific apps. I have one like Gmail Notifier and another one called Calendar Snooze for my calendar alarms.

I'm hoping in the future Google builds a robust notification/profile system for us!

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
You just need to find an app with the features you're looking for. Don't assume that every possible feature is there out of the box. You're not stuck with stock apps as you are with the BB.

You definitely won't find an equivalent to profiles on the BB though. The Android profile apps come close but they're just not quite there IMO.

There really isn't as much customization as on a Blackberry.
Depends on what you mean by customization. My Droid's far more customizable overall than my BB's ever were.

I do miss profiles but it's not like they're the only possible form of customization.

Last edited:

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
OK...On My 9530 BB Storm I was able customize my notifications like crazy. For each individual contact in my phone book I could set a different notification setting for each means of communication. for example:
John Smith
Phone-Ringtone1
SMS-Ringtone2
MMS-Ringtone3
Email-Ringotone4
IM-Rington5

Or I could Set The same ringtone for all of his notifications. This was very useful because if I was busy and my phone rang depending on the ringtone I would know the importance of the notification.

Another thing that seriously bugs me is that I cant get a notification when one of my IM (instant messenger) Contacts changes his or her status. Like when John smith becomes available I get a little chime or something, or even little notification in t he status bar that just says "John Smith" is now available. It seems almost pointless because most of my IM contacts are never constantly signed on.

If I am being stupid and dont know how to enable features similar to this please call me on it. Or if there is an app that does these things please let me know.

i can help you out with sms/mms part. i too came from a bb storm and was missing that feature. hancent sms lets you sent custom ringtones for each contacts sms/mms. it has a lot more options that i use, but this is one you are looking for. also, you can use ringdroid to make more ringtones. i have both in my sig.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
i think you are able to set custom ringtones for everything you mentioned. i cant look at my phone right now because it is installing a new rom so right now i am going to have to go from memory.

if you go into the settings and then go to sounds i think it has options for ringtone settings for calls, sms (i dont know if mms is seperate or not) facebook. the IM one should be inside of the app itself. open the app and then press the menu button on the bottom of your phone. it should say settings and then i would assume it would be in there. and for individual contact tones you need to open your contacts. select who you want to edit the ringtone for. press the menu button and then edit and there should be an option.

i could be wrong (im doing it from memory as well as assumption) but i am almost positive im right about 75%. though the 25% could win haha. hope this helped and good luck

Blacker.the.berry

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
i think you are able to set custom ringtones for everything you mentioned. i cant look at my phone right now because it is installing a new rom so right now i am going to have to go from memory.

if you go into the settings and then go to sounds i think it has options for ringtone settings for calls, sms (i dont know if mms is seperate or not) facebook. the IM one should be inside of the app itself. open the app and then press the menu button on the bottom of your phone. it should say settings and then i would assume it would be in there. and for individual contact tones you need to open your contacts. select who you want to edit the ringtone for. press the menu button and then edit and there should be an option.

i could be wrong (im doing it from memory as well as assumption) but i am almost positive im right about 75%. though the 25% could win haha. hope this helped and good luck

SMS and mms you can individualize email and IM you cannot. I would like to however. And a status notification would be golden!

Blacker.the.berry

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You just need to find an app with the features you're looking for. Don't assume that every possible feature is there out of the box. You're not stuck with stock apps as you are with the BB.

You definitely won't find an equivalent to profiles on the BB though. The Android profile apps come close but they're just not quite there IMO.

Depends on what you mean by customization. My Droid's far more customizable overall than my BB's ever were.

I do miss profiles but it's not like they're the only possible form of customization.
Any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy