1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default difficulty connecting to home wireless network

so the new droid locates the wifi network, claims it has an excellent signal, and the settings screen says 'obtaining ip address from network' - droid churns for a while and then says 'unsuccessful' and gives no hints about what to do next - any suggestions?

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

Did you input your wap or wep settings correct?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

i entered the wep settings correctly and the droid then tried to get an ip address from the wifi network and failed

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

Hmm seems like you might want to take the phone in cause I just tried and it should do it automatically once you put in the password. I just connected to 2 difference networks of neighbors with just pressing connect.

Try taking it in they can test in the verizon store and replace if necessary.

I agree try taking it into the verizon store. I have been able to connect to my home as well as work and friends networks with no problem

I would try resetting your wireless router before taking it into the store...it's much quicker and will many times solve the problem.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Yes restart your router first, I had to do the same thing but its a quick fix.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Stupid question, my home network shows on the Droid and it prompts me to enter the password which i do. It still can not connect. What other settings do I need to enter to connect to wifi? I am basically a router setting rookie. I can connect to neighbors unsecured no problem so i think it is a setting issue on droid or router. I use a linkseys router if it matters.

Thanks
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

If your network isn't broadcasting it's SSID it'll never connect. I found this out the hard way. I always enter my info into my wireless device but I couldn't get the Droid to connect even though it was able to find my network. On a hunch I enabled my SSID and voila. I dislike having it show up so I then just edited which MAC addresses can connect to keep the riff raff out. Lol.

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

Anyone find a fix for the not broadcasting SSID?

I hate to have my SSID broadcast on, but it looks like I will have to so my Droid can connect.
    -When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Prior to bringing it in, try this:
    1. I have the same problems and have baby camera's that run on the same frequency as my wifi. If you have these, try turning them off. Mine shows that I have a good broadcast, but I still can't get on.
    2. My old phone system was on the same frequency. I changed systems and now I'm good.
    3. I periodically need to reset my wifi and cable modem (modem first, then wifi).

If these don't work and you can't get any wifi, take it in.

Broadcasting the SSID isn't necessary although if you think that somehow secures the network, it doesn't. Eitherway. I have successfully done this on a non broadcast ssid with both wpa and wpa2 settings. have not tried with wep but would advise anyone still running wep to move up to wpa2 preferrably. This "should" work.

I can only speak for myself but I have this working with both a Motorola Droid and and t-mobile MT3G.

im having a hard time connecting to my home also...on my dinc it did it no problem just enter my password which is not 9 numbers but the x is asking me for 9 numbers i tried it twice with the 9 numbers on the back of the netgear thingy lol but have no idea what a ssid wep wap is but i do know if you call me a wop you could get a slap in my neughborhood lol