Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

When doing the *228 programming, you can dial *22899 and it will automagically do both the 1 and 2 keypress options.
    Last edited by rfabro; 11-23-2009 at 12:30 PM.

You can easily add words to your dictionary while typing by long pressing on the word from the suggestion bar over your virtual keyboard.

First type the word as you want it to show, then execute a long press on the word in the 'word suggestion bar' next to the suggested words that highlight in bold orange... this long press will automatically save it to your dictionary.

If you add a word by accident, you can remove it by going to Settings ==> Language & keyboard ==> User dictionary, scroll down to find the word you input, select it, then press Delete.

found this one out today

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Default Tips for improving the camera's performance.

I just wanted to share a few tips to help get the most out of the camera. The following is the way I have my settings that make Droid's camera much more pleasent to use.
    Switch the focus mode to infinity. Because of the size of the lens and image receptor, you can get away with most shots except for real close up.
    Clean the lens. For some reason Droid's camera is very sensitive to the oil and dirt from fingerprints. This will eliminate the fog effect around areas of bright contrast.
    Turn down the resolution. Unless you plan on printing your pictures or cropping them (very handy at times), the added resolution is not needed for a Facebook post.
    Turn off the flash. Although there are times to use it, leaving it off makes it more responsive.
    Practice practice practice. It really is a pretty decent camera and can achieve some impressive results. I once read about a national geographic photographer who took a cross-country trip using only the camera on his phone. A large part of good photography is having a camera at the right place at the right time.
    Feel free to share your tips and thoughts.
    Thanked by 2:

Thanks for the excellent advice. The camera is significantly faster now and you're right that the pics look just as good for f-book posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnut View Post
    you can also add the contact on your home screen by touching on the home screen and hold then a menu will pop up click shortcuts then pick a contact from there works great
    In addition to putting a contact on your home screen as indicated above, you can also set it up to dial a contact directly. Long touch on the home screen. A menu will pop up, click shortcuts and choose "direct dial" then pick a contact.

Global Posts
    2,454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

Quote Originally Posted by TKNOVA View Post
    In addition to putting a contact on your home screen as indicated above, you can also set it up to dial a contact directly. Long touch on the home screen. A menu will pop up, click shortcuts and choose "direct dial" then pick a contact.
    Dog gone it I bought a program last night for this exact same thing. Wow this makes me feel real good. :o

And thanks for the long press on dictionary.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Long pressing the search button will open up voice search.

instead of having the "Google Search" bar take up space on your screen, you can simply press the search button on the bottom right..... the search bar will pop up and you can search as usual

Quote Originally Posted by theguy386 View Post
    instead of having the "Google Search" bar take up space on your screen, you can simply press the search button on the bottom right..... the search bar will pop up and you can search as usual
    I've found this to be most useful. I personally hated having that big search bar take up one of my screens. Now we can easily access the search without the need for the widget taking up space.

Hello!

Okay, so I was messing around on my phone in the car yesterday. I've tried to hook my other smart phones into my GRIFFIN, FM transmitter to listen to music, to no avail.

I decided I would attempt it with the droid. It worked just fine. The analog jack fits the size of the FM transmitter. What's even better is when you get a call, it will pause the music you are playing and the call will generate through your car speakers.

Now this part is untested so far, but because the new power cords from Verizon work as the home charger and the USB cord, with the GRIFFIN TRANSMITTER there is a place on the top of the plug that will allow you to plug in your USB device to charge while you are plugged into the transmitter. A work around to purchasing a car charger? Maybe, but The Droid will charge off the computer when plugged in that way. I'll have to try it and get back.

EDIT: It does charge
    Last edited by nerdbox08; 12-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray389 View Post
    - To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality
    I found that launching a youtube video while the droid is in portrait orientation, then rotating to landscape orientation while the video is loading will cause it to play in high quality mode without the need for accessing the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray389 View Post
    - To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality
    CORRECTION>>>I found that launching a youtube video using the youtube widget will cause it to play in high quality mode without the need for accessing the settings.
    Last edited by wahuff; 12-02-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: discovered additional supporting functionality

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

I did a quick search and didn't see this listed so just in case you wanted to know, if you double tap the alt key on the slider keyboard that will enable number lock where a single tap allows the next click only to be for the alternate choice. It also locks it so any secondary option on all the other keys (&,%, $ etc...) and all you have to do is press the alt key again to turn it off.
    Last edited by j7469; 12-21-2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

Just found something sweet! When brousing the web in landscape, if you hit the vollume rocker up or down it acts as page up or down! Now I can slide the keyboard out wrap my pointer fingers around the back and scroll using the volume rocker! Woot!
    Sorry if this is old news... didn't remember reading it anywhere...

edit... this is on dolphin browser...
    Last edited by Flyguide83; 12-18-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Droid---[ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0, Nextheme, Bekit 800mhz kernel!
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance!

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

The power control widget has three settings for auto-brightness. Off, Auto-Brightness, and Full Power. To turn the full brightness on, tap the icon once more than you would to turn auto-brightness on.
    Handy when you're in the dark and need a quick flashlight, and don't want to open an LED flashlight app. Makes the screen that much brighter.

Also, when using the physical keyboard, and typing words that work with and without apostrophes (were v. we're, well v. we'll, ill v. I'll), skip the final letter in the word and it will auto-complete with the apostrophe. Saves the whole alt-apostrophe process.
    Last edited by herki; 12-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Go to Google Maps and search for your house or a well known site; or simply press and hold somewhere on the map. A bubble will appear containing the text of what you searched for or the location you touched. Touch the bubble and you will get a menu. Scroll down to Street View and click that - it will show you a street-level image of that place that you can scroll around in - pretty cool, right? Now, this is where it gets really cool - touch the menu button and select compass mode - enjoy!!! :-)

If the image doesn't seem to follow your movement, wave the Droid around in a figure 8 which seems to recalibrate the compass.

I found a neat trick. Open the Voice Dial application and say "Open Battery Info". A screen will open up showing detailed info about the battery including charge level, voltage, etc. I haven't been able to get to this screen by any other method. I wonder if there are other "secret apps"?

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by wpwoodjr View Post
    I found a neat trick. Open the Voice Dial application and say "Open Battery Info". A screen will open up showing detailed info about the battery including charge level, voltage, etc. I haven't been able to get to this screen by any other method. I wonder if there are other "secret apps"?
    HUH! That is REAL interesting. I'll have to try a few other commands to see if I can find something else...

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wpwoodjr View Post
    You can get that window with Spare Parts, but I think this could be the only way to access that panel without downloading a third party app. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by theguy386 View Post
    For ringtones place your clip in "DriveofSDcard>media>audio>ringtones".

So far I've only done .mp3 ringtones, so don't know if it'll take other formats
    It will also accent the AAC format, which I fins is superior to mp3. Although I suppose coming from a phone speaker it doesn't matter, regardless of the high quality one included on the DROID.

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meinbeast View Post
    On the virtual keyboards if you long press any button with "..." next to the letter or number it will bring up another list of options.

for example a long press on the "1" key will bring up options for "1 , 1/2. 1/3, 1/4, 1/8" or a long press on the smiley face will bring up other face options, there are many of these "..." keys
    I feel dumb as heck here, but what am I missing? I don't see any dots or a smiley on my keyboards. Anyone want to help a Droid noob?

its on the default messaging app. on the bottom right. On handcent it is a enter button.
    G

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pmas View Post
    I feel dumb as heck here, but what am I missing? I don't see any dots or a smiley on my keyboards. Anyone want to help a Droid noob?
    On the on screen virtual keyboard, certain letters have three dots (...) on the bottom left of the icon that pops up when you press a letter. This is similar to what happens on the iPhone/iPod. I guess the three dots helps you know which letters have the extra characters. Another way to tell is to press a letter and hold it for a couple seconds, if a new icon pops up you'll know there is more text you can add.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

The Droid has preprogrammed shortcuts that you can use.
    Simultaneously pressing search + b opens the browser, c = contacts, e = email, g = gmail, l = calendar, p = music, s = messaging, and y = youtube.

You can also change the shortcuts. Go into settings>applications>Quick launch.

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Ahh.. Thank you for the replies.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast