Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid ICS Beta 3

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
    How to make direction shortcuts

Long Press on an empty spot on your home... and create a new folder..

Open "Folder" and Long Press on the top frame of that window. Rename it name it to whatever you wish.

Now go back to home and Long Press on an empty space. Select Shortcuts. Scroll down to Directions. Fill out the boxes with your destination address, choose mode of transit, give it a name, select an icon, and press Save.

A new icon will appear on your desktop.. named whatever you called it in the previous menu... Just move it to your new folder, viola.. one touch directions...

Home, Work, Liquor Store...

Enjoy

(I found those while digging around on Yahoo answers)
    Nice! Never thought of that! I will mos def take advantage of this shortcut!

Default Syncing with Outlook

The one feature I really miss from my Blackberry is the ability to synchronize with outlook completely. I want to be able to add a contact to my outlook and/or my phone and have them syncronize regularly. I have found a temporary workaround with varying degrees of success:

To Sync Calendar, download free, Google Calendar Sync. This sync outlook with your Google Calendar and this will also port into your phone. Setup your calendar to sync daily an hour before your phone is set to sync.

To Sync Contacts, the best method I have found is a free beta software called GO (google outlook) Sync. This works similarly to the above. It is a bit slow...I have about 3000 contacts and it takes over an hour. Also, I think there is a bug that prevents me from syncing too many contacts, but it works well for smaller sizes.

Also, is anyone else having odd problems with their contacts? For example, if Contact A has email 1, email 2, phone 1, sometimes phone 1 and email 2 disappear from the phone. When I check GMAIL, the contact only has email 2 (and phone 1 and email 1 disappear). Other contacts just sporadically disappear and I dont know why.
    Last edited by ayejay0601; 12-21-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot something

I have a Microsoft Exchange account with work and my Droid syncs everything. If you're on Exchange, contact your IT department and make sure everything is set up properly.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can export your contacts, etc. into a .csv file (or whatever format you prefer) and can then import it to Google to keep things synced from there if you aren't on MS Exchange.

P.S. I love this thread, I didn't know I could longpress search to activate voice search.
    Last edited by thisismyname; 12-26-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by wpwoodjr View Post
    touch the menu button and select compass mode - enjoy!!! :-)

If the image doesn't seem to follow your movement, wave the Droid around in a figure 8 which seems to recalibrate the compass.
    Super Cool! Didn't even think to try that until now.

Wish you had a launcher to your favorite website?

Save your website to Favorites, then open Favorites in your browser. Longpress on the website icon and select Add Shortcut to Homescreen.
    a little obsessive...

Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    Wish you had a launcher to your favorite website?

Save your website to Favorites, then open Favorites in your browser. Longpress on the website icon and select Add Shortcut to Homescreen.

another way to do this, is bookmark the page that you want to launch.then go to your desktop find an open space, press and hold that space and select shortcuts. if you use oem browser, select the red bookmark tab and select your launch bookmark.if you use dolphin, scroll down further until you see m. geek bookmark, select that and your launch bookmark...
    Droid---[ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0, Nextheme, Bekit 800mhz kernel!
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance!

Want speed dials?

Go to blank space on home screen / hold down / select shortcut / select direct dial / select contact

If you have a picture for the contact their smiling face is on your homescreen. Touch it and your dialing.

Note: also works for one-touch text messaging. Select direct message rather than direct dial. The icon will have a little phone picture in the corner for the dial shortcut and a little talk bubble for the message.

Another note: the icon will have a large letter in the corner to indicate which phone number you selected as the shortcut (M for mobile, H for home, etc.)

If you have a home replacement app like dxtop or pandahome, dedicate an entire screen for speed dials. With the picture and the name and the option for text message shortcuts its pretty sweet. Also, some homescreen replacements have "sidedocks" that slide out. They're pretty handy for having all of your phone speed dials on one side and all of your text message shortcuts on another sidedock.

Sorry if this was posted earlier. If you have an annoying contact that keeps calling you (like a bill collector), you can go into that contact, select menu, and then options (not edit contact). In this sub menu is an option called "Incoming calls", checking this box will send this call to voicemail everytime. The phone won't even ring.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wpwoodjr View Post
    Go to Google Maps and search for your house or a well known site; or simply press and hold somewhere on the map. A bubble will appear containing the text of what you searched for or the location you touched. Touch the bubble and you will get a menu. Scroll down to Street View and click that - it will show you a street-level image of that place that you can scroll around in - pretty cool, right? Now, this is where it gets really cool - touch the menu button and select compass mode - enjoy!!! :-)

If the image doesn't seem to follow your movement, wave the Droid around in a figure 8 which seems to recalibrate the compass.
    This only works if the location you selected is on a street that has a yellow line overlay on the street. This indicates Google has taken the drive by photos of that street and has street view available. And unfortunately they havent taken photos of everything....yet.

Thanks for all of this, everyone! Just got my Droid recently (traded some poor sucker for an HTC Eris) and this has really helped!
    VZW Droid Incredible. <3 me some Sense UI.

It's been suggested to set-up the card with the following structure:

/Media
    Alarms (Folder in Media)
    Ringtones (Folder in Media)
    Notifications (Folder in Media)
    /Music
    /Pictures
    /Videos

Where the Ringtones and Notifications can have duplicate files if you want.
    Ok Total newbie to my droid. Under my SD card, I have directories of:
    \DCIM
    .thumbnails
    100andro
    Camera
    \google_maps_navigation
    \LOST.DIR

Am I supposed to put the said structure under the DCIM folder or get rid of it and make the new folders?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by ffmedic2112; 01-16-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic2112 View Post
    Ok Total newbie to my droid. Under my SD card, I have directories of:
    \DCIM
    .thumbnails
    100andro
    Camera
    \google_maps_navigation
    \LOST.DIR

Am I supposed to put the said structure under the DCIM folder or get rid of it and make the new folders?

Thanks for the help
    Just ADD the folders to your root directory on the card. You don't delete the DCIM folder.
    a little obsessive...

Just ADD the folders to your root directory on the card. You don't delete the DCIM folder.
    Thanks xliderider. Everything is working great!!

Great post. Just got my droid a few days ago, and these tips have helped me out big time!
    Since 2008: HTC Wing>Sidekick 3>Sidekick Slide>Sidekick LX 2009>Palm Pre>Blackberry Curve 8330>Motorola Droid>HTC Thunderbolt>Razr Maxx>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

dont know if someone mentioned it but for all those that gripe about no dedicated keys for number all you have to do is hit alt twice then the top row is numbers till you hit alt again

Maps app is great, but it's easy to make it even better...Open up Maps, then click on the menu button, then select "More". In the popup menu click on Labs to access a list of enhancements, where you can select any of several additional features for the maps app, like a distance scale bar on-screen. There's several other cool additions for enhancing Maps, so turn them on and off to find what you like.
    Thanked by 2:

I noticed that it is a neat little feature.

Default Handcent-Am I the first??

Ok, there have been some posts about making specific ringtones for specific contacts for text messages. I did some searching and haven't found this posted so I'm hoping I actually came up with something that I could repay all the great advice everyone has given me. If you are using Handcent, you can assign specific ringtones for specific contacts. This is the only way I know to do this...

In Handcent, when you receive a text message there will be a little icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen with a silhouette and a gear. If you press that it will take you to a settings screen. I have played around with this and if you change any of the settings in this screen it is for that specific contact only. If this is already known, I apologize for the re-post and I will bow my head in shame and curl up in the fetal position.

ffmedic2112
    Thanks for that info I never realized it before your post.

General consensus is that you can't use the Droid hands-free. I just set mine up using the bluetooth handsfree built into my Nissan Frontier and it works perfectly. You do have to set up the phone book numbers in the vehicles system settings, but I can just push the button on steering wheel, say who to call, and my Droid places the call. My Motorola H500 earpiece works fine also. Don't buy all the 'expert' opinions you see on forums - just go ahead & try something before you blindly accept that it can't work. I tried it and it works beautifully both making & receiving calls.

*#*#4636#*#* brings up a series of menus that provide interesting details about your usage and the ability to modify how your phone uses the PRL. I don't recommend messing with it but it is interesting, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooose View Post
    *#*#4636#*#* brings up a series of menus that provide interesting details about your usage and the ability to modify how your phone uses the PRL. I don't recommend messing with it but it is interesting, nonetheless.
    Where exactly do you type this? Same with the other ##Program one I can't figure out where to put it. The other post said in the call screen but it didn't work for me. Let me know thanks
    Last edited by Fuchueson; 03-22-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchueson View Post
    Where exactly do you type this? Same with the other ##Program one I can't figure out where to put it. The other post said in the call screen but it didn't work for me. Let me know thanks
    You type it as if you were dialing it. As soon as you type the last digit a menu shows up.

ok the 4636 one works but what about the ##PROGRAM. Is it the same thing or something different because that is not happening.

nevermind when i tried this last time it didn't work. Works find now thanks.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast