Motorola Droid Tips, Tricks, and Easter Eggs

Meinbeast19

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thought this might be a useful thread for hidden or little known tips or tricks that you have discovered about your droid.

I noticed that the screen turns off during a phone call only if it is pressed to your ear ( light sensor?)

EDIT: This thread is for posting tips and tricks for you to share with other forum members, PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS as they will simply be deleted.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaz

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
~~~The unit won't stay off during charging....

~~~it's a proximity sensor that turns the screen black (during call, etc.)

~~~When typing on the virtual keyboard you can swipe down to make the keyboard go away.

~~~from your home screen, press menu, then settings, then go to 'About phone'
--> Status: i like that it shows you how much battery life you have left in percentage
--> Battery use: Cool way to keep track of what is killing your battery

~~~Settings >> Applications >> Development >> Stay Awake (keeps screen on while charging)

~~~I like that the search/home buttons have separate "long press" functions.
long press on Home gives you a list of running (or recently running) apps, and long press on Search brings up your voice search.

~~~The Droid doesn't have a speed dial list. Instead it has a favorites list. To add a contact to the favorites list:
Go to contacts and touch the star in the upper right hand corner. When it is lit up, the contact is now part of your favorites list.

~~~If you want to add custom notification ringtones for your emails, sms/mms, ect., plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "notifications", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the new tones.

~~~~To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality

~~~~~you can also add the contact on your home screen by touching on the home screen and hold then a menu will pop up click shortcuts then pick a contact from there works great

~~~~Maybe a known step but took me a while to figure it out. While on the web, if you wanna save a picture (for wallpaper purposes or whatever). You have to hold your finger over the picture and the "save picture" message will come up.

~~~~On the virtual keyboards if you long press any button with "..." next to the letter or number it will bring up another list of options.

~~~~save album art images for music as folder.jpg to keep them from showing up in your gallery. also store mp3 ringtones in: /sdcard/media/ringtones to keep them from showing up in your music database.

~~~~Keyboard shortcuts:
go to Settings > Applications > Quick Launch to view and set keyboard shortcuts.

~~~~just discovered you can use the barcode app to share contacts, bookmarks, etc...
open Barcode, press menu button, select share

Last edited:
Reactions: aabritt

droidowner92

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thought this might be a useful thread for hidden or little known tips or tricks that you have discovered about your droid.

I noticed that the screen turns off during a phone call only if it is pressed to your ear ( light sensor?)

it does it either left or right ear. and yea im pretty sure its the sensor

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
from your home screen, press menu, then settings, then go to 'About phone'

--> Status: i like that it shows you how much battery life you have left in percentage

--> Battery use: Cool way to keep track of what is killing your battery :D

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Settings >> Applications >> Development >> Stay Awake

i had been wondering how to keep the screen on while the phone was charging.. if you were too, there's your answer.

EDIT:

oh.. also.. probably obvious, but I like that the search/home buttons have separate "long press" functions.

long press on Home gives you a list of running (or recently running) apps, and long press on Search brings up your voice search.

stingray389

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
- The Droid doesn't have a speed dial list. Instead it has a favorites list. To add a contact to the favorites list:
Go to contacts and touch the star in the upper right hand corner. When it is lit up, the contact is now part of your favorites list.
- If you want to add custom notification ringtones for your emails, sms/mms, ect., plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "notifications", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the new tones.
- To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Definite like the HQ youtube feature. Good to know about the ringtones, also can use ringdroid, i believe its called to create them on your phone.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
to watch youtube videos in high quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality

SO MUCH BETTER!!!! Thank you!!!! :D

edit: too bad you can't set it to automatically load the high quality video every time.

Last edited:
R

Roy Aguilera

Maybe a known step but took me a while to figure it out. While on the web, if you wanna save a picture (for wallpaper purposes or whatever). You have to hold your finger over the picture and the "save picture" message will come up.
I was so confused for like 3 minutes.:D

Meinbeast19

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
On the virtual keyboards if you long press any button with "..." next to the letter or number it will bring up another list of options.

for example a long press on the "1" key will bring up options for "1 , 1/2. 1/3, 1/4, 1/8" or a long press on the smiley face will bring up other face options, there are many of these "..." keys

adam8ch

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
save album art images for music as folder.jpg to keep them from showing up in your gallery. also store mp3 ringtones in: /sdcard/media/ringtones to keep them from showing up in your music database.

Keyboard shortcuts:
go to Settings > Applications > Quick Launch to view and set keyboard shortcuts.

Menu Shortcuts:
Add(home screen) - menu+a
Wallpaper(home screen) - menu+w
Notifications - menu+n
Settings - menu+p
Search - menu+s

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
On the virtual keyboards if you long press any button with "..." next to the letter or number it will bring up another list of options.

for example a long press on the "1" key will bring up options for "1 , 1/2. 1/3, 1/4, 1/8" or a long press on the smiley face will bring up other face options, there are many of these "..." keys

nice -- i had wondered what those dots were for.

I also noticed that you can drag your finger around the keyboard and it wont select a letter until you stop (haven't figured out exactly how this works yet)

dieselnut

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
- The Droid doesn't have a speed dial list. Instead it has a favorites list. To add a contact to the favorites list:
- If you want to add custom notification ringtones for your emails, sms/mms, ect., plug your Droid into your computer, access the SD card, create a new folder on the card called "notifications", and drop the ringtones you want to use into the folder. When the phone is unplugged from the computer, the Droid will be able to use the new tones.
- To watch youtube videos in High Quality, start the video, press settings, and click on "watch in high quality

you can also add the contact on your home screen by touching on the home screen and hold then a menu will pop up click shortcuts then pick a contact from there works great:D

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
just discovered you can use the barcode app to share contacts, bookmarks, etc...

open Barcode, press menu button, select share

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt