Fellow PSU users in here? help with email?

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Just looking to see if there is anyone else from penn state who has their webmail set up, because I can not get mine to connect. ANY help would be great.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the link. I have not had time to search too much because of studying and tests coming up.

I brought the phone to a tech station on campus and they couldnt get it working either. Told me to enter psu.edu for incoming mail server instead of email.psu.edu.

Your link however, got me past the incoming mail server, which was a first, but I am stuck on the outgoing even what typing in what the link provided. I entered in the outgoing server from the link, then SSL for the security, and my username and password. But I keep getting "Ste up could not finish, unable to open connection to server." Or "set up could not finish, authentication methods are not supported by server." What do these mean?

Thanks for responding!

jaygazer

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I am having the same issues as the gentleman above for my Penn State Email.

I set up my incoming with my user name and password, followed by: email.psu.edu and I set SSL Up as directed by PSU's website.

Outgoing is: SMTP.PSU.EDU with SSL on, authentication. I've tried to do this both with SSL on and off and I get the same issue, where it will not allow me to connect to the server. I can do this on my black berry curve though with the same settings.

swm5126

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Hey there,

Fellow PSU student here. I work at ITS so I should be able to help you get it set up. Are you using IMAP or POP? If you aren't using IMAP I'd suggest it, I tried using POP for my PSU account and every few minutes I'd get notifications for emails I already received. IMAP works great though, and you dont have to worry about that stupid "You cannot check your mail for another 120 seconds..." crap. PM me, I'll send you the ITS links for the server settings for either IMAP or POP. Thanks!

jaygazer

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Hey there! Looks like I have to post at least 5 times to send a PM on here. Weird.

Well, this makes number 3.

if you want, email me the settings to: Kentuckyfriedchkn@gmail.com it's a spam email that I have set up so that I can do things w/o having crap go to my main email.

swm5126

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Guys,

smtp.psu.edu is for computers that are on the PSU.edu domain (campus computers, faculty, staff) so there is no SSL required on that server.

For off campus computers or connections, you must be authenticated via authsmtp.psu.edu. That'll probably fix it for you.

jaygazer

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Guys,

smtp.psu.edu is for computers that are on the PSU.edu domain (campus computers, faculty, staff) so there is no SSL required on that server.

For off campus computers or connections, you must be authenticated via authsmtp.psu.edu. That'll probably fix it for you.

This doesn't seem to work either. Even when I set it up on my Mac with the same settings, it rejects it, then 10 minutes later an email will suddenly trickle through. It seems that the server can't determine whether or not it wants to stay online or offline.

Currently my settings are:

Pop: Incoming: email.psu.edu SSL On
Outgoing: authsmtp.psu.edu SSL On
I have it set to password authenticate.

I am unable to set up as imap. It rejects it.

jaygazer

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Another Update:

For some reason, I'm able to put the account and make it work on my phone, but when I do, it disables the ability to use it on the computer. If I take it off the phone, the computer suddenly works.

I know that some servers will only allow so many devices to utilize their webmail. Is this true with Penn State? I can't have this on both the Mac and the Phone? I have to do one or the other?

GreatNate

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
This works for me

If you want IMAP service for your droid:

Sign up for IMAP service for your penn state webmail through the work website, work . psu . edu / email.

I can't post a link yet do to not having 10 posts

IMAP service takes usually 24 hours to activate for your email.

I use the POP3 server on my phone, it is set up like this:

Droid Mail Settings
Incoming server settings:

username: "abc1234" - Penn state userid without quotes
password: "password - Penn state password without quotes
POP3 Server: email.psu.edu
Port: 995
Security Type: SSL
Delete email from server: Never

Outgoing server settings:

SMTP Server: smtp.psu.edu
Port: 25
Security Type: None
UNCHECK Require sign-in.

Let me know if this works for you.

Edit: The server only allows mail requests every 120 seconds, so if you delete a message and the mail application tries to request another viewing of your inbox it will come up with a little error stating that the Username and password are invalid, ignore it.

Last edited:

gracefulminutes

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Just link it to GMail. On your browser in 'Settings', go to Forwarding, and there should be a way for you to forward your WebMail to this inbox. Also, it'll allow you to send email via the PSU acct. in GMail.

This'll save battery life too since GMail is push mail as opposed to pulling at certain intervals from the WM server.

Obviously I'm not too full w/ deets since I'm in my junior year and I did this during Freshman year.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
haha hey guys, I originally posted this about a year ago when I got the droid. Safe to say its been taken care of. Thanks for the input though. I just linked it to Gmail, however I might try the step by step Great Nate gave because I cant respond to list serve emails from Gmail. has to be a @psu.edu service. Other then that just sending it to Gmail works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781