Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Default Instant messenger Apps

I'm waiting on fedex to drop my phone off.

I did a search and couldnt find it.. But im hoping there is a yahoo instant messenger app? Or one that will interface with it? Pros/cons?

I use Meebo

Trent

Use Nimbuzz.

Fring is also about to release their app (I'm on their beta list and am liking it more than Nimbuzz at the moment).

Both apps do YIM, plus a load of other IM stuff - MSN, Skype etc.

Dave

Thanks for posting these choices. I have been using "HI Yahoo", and have to change. I dont like it one bit.

Please keep this thread going. I haven't found a good IM app for yahoo messenger yet. HI Yahoo sucks, IM+ sucks, Meebo is ok, but you can't send files and it logs me off randomly and force closes. Seems as if Nimbuzz does this as well. At least with Meebo you can log in as invisible. It's the best I've tried so far.

Same here Meebo so far...

I've been using Meebo and pretty happy when it works. Nice user interface, pretty user friendly, etc. Also lets you log on to "facebook chat" which is cool. I will admit that I've had it force close on me a couple times. It hasn't happened enough times for me to really start looking for something else, but if it becomes a real pattern, I will. Haven't heard of any great alternatives, though. C'mon Android developers, lets get something good out!

Maybe one day Yahoo will develop one for android!

It's interesting that yahoo hasn't developed an app for the droid yet. Maybe because they are competitors??
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

i have hi yahoo currently, and havent had any problems yet... we'll see... im sure yahoo will make an app...

it's odd that there is no first party developed apps for any IM client aside from talk

Does meebo stay connected better than nimbuzz?

Quote Originally Posted by Adiliyo View Post
    it's odd that there is no first party developed apps for any IM client aside from talk
    There's Skype Lite - but it's a horrible resource hog - Nimbuzz and Fring both cover skype as well as the others and are much better

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Change too often.

Quote Originally Posted by hilhi2005 View Post
    Does meebo stay connected better than nimbuzz?
    I can't comment on nimbuzz since I haven't used it, but I've been running meebo for a couple of days with no drops at all.

Anyone know of a good IM / Instant Messenger app that alerts you when a contact signs on or becomes available?

My inferior BB Storm used to do it. It was even able to set a custom "available" tone for each contact. I know my droid has to have an app that does that.

Quote Originally Posted by the virus View Post
    Anyone know of a good IM / Instant Messenger app that alerts you when a contact signs on or becomes available?

My inferior BB Storm used to do it. It was even able to set a custom "available" tone for each contact. I know my droid has to have an app that does that.
    Anyone at all??

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

i use meebo also, but ebuddy is goo too. neither notify you if a contact signs on, but both are free. i prefer meebo because it doesn't strain my battery as much as ebuddy.
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2

I like eBuddy the best. It had some issues before but now it seems to stay connected pretty rock solid and there is a nice battery saving option (but it delays incoming messages when you're phone is sleeping) Plus it supports Facebook chat which I use a lot!

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

I updates my wifes hero to 2.1 now she is throwing a fit cause the Im program does not leave her signed on. SHe was able to do it before...anyone have any thoughts. She just wants to log in and stay logged in and message nothing fancy or file transfer.

Thanks

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by Seven2k View Post
    I updates my wifes hero to 2.1 now she is throwing a fit cause the Im program does not leave her signed on. SHe was able to do it before...anyone have any thoughts. She just wants to log in and stay logged in and message nothing fancy or file transfer.

Thanks
    eBuddy or Meebo IM
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

i use android IM client. works great and dont have wasted app space.

Default Re: Instant messenger Apps

Quote Originally Posted by jjimenez09 View Post
    i use android IM client. works great and dont have wasted app space.
    I'm getting the Droid X2 tomorrow and I was wondering if the native IM client is an all in one with AOL, Yahoo, GTalk, MSN, Skype, and Facebook?

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Default Re: Instant messenger Apps

Quote Originally Posted by chuckdawg1999 View Post
    I'm getting the Droid X2 tomorrow and I was wondering if the native IM client is an all in one with AOL, Yahoo, GTalk, MSN, Skype, and Facebook?
    the only native IM client Android has is Gtalk...unless Blur has some bloatware I don't know about