Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    DougFNJ's Avatar

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default How's your learning curve been?

    A lot of us have had all weekend and a few days to play with it now, how's the learning curve been for you? Are you struggling? Having a hard time? Having fun with it? What's your verdict so far?

    With the exception of the first couple day, I've been loving it. I love the setting it up the way I want it, I've been giving my home screens some trial and error tweaking things and enjoying the whole experience, I find that to be part of the fun. I would say the toughest part of the whole thing was getting the keyboards down which I am pretty well off now.

    How about you?
  2. #2  

    Default

    Learning curve has been quick for me. Hardest thing so far has been getting emails all correct and getting used to having to access the different accounts separately.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I'm having a bit of a time figuring out skins and other applications and still getting used to the keyboards but overall it's been a fun phone to learn.
  4. #4  
    Roy Aguilera
    Roy Aguilera's Avatar
    Guest

    Default

    Its been fun. I love the phone.
  5. #5  
    jjenson's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

    Default

    I have had a blast doing many things. I decided tonight that I am going to learn how to sync my calendar and all that with google. Haven't done that yet.

    Then maybe I can sync my outlook with google as well? Then I am all synced up lol.

    I love this phone just haven't had time playing on it enough. I love the physical keyboard I am faster on that then I have ever been at typing on a phone I don't mind chatting and that on it. I used to ahte it.
  6. #6  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    13,008 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    24 hours later and the learning curve has been really steep for me. My prior device was the Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2 running Windows Mobile 6.1, with TouchFlo 3D. My biggest struggles so far:

    - The keyboard is absolutely abysmal compared to the TP2. The TP2 keys are well spaced and have plenty of feedback. I don't believe there's a device on the market that can top the TP2 in this regard, nor did I expect the Droid too, but I was hoping for better than what's there. This really inhibits my ability to pound out long emails and/or text messages. There will never be an on screen keyboard that I will be as comfortable doing this on.

    - Having to unlock my screen every time the backlight goes out, is a huge hassle. Nor can I find any way of turning it off. If I get a text message when the screen is off I have to 1) push the top button 2) unlock the screen 3) pull the notifications panel down, 4) select the message I want to open. This is too many steps!

    - My inbox is separate from text messaging so I find myself toggling back and forth between these 2 applications to get to where I need to be. It seems really inefficient.

    - Hanging up a call, while on the speakerphone is a challenge. You have to re-engage the backlight and then hang up.

    There's many more frustrations, but that's the main ones for me.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    DougFNJ's Avatar

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Hang in there 8notime. I think the keyboard is the biggest learning curve. I found it very frustrating at first. I couldn't figure out the right way to hold it, position my fingers, or where on the keys to type without pressing other keys or typing really slow. What I did was kept openning a compose email when I had a few minutes and typed long messages over and over. I found the way that was most comfortable to hold it, and found the sweet spot on the keys to press and I am finding the keyboard to type almost as fast as the one on the Blackberry Tour....just keep at it.

    As far as the notification tab, you don't have to go through that step. When I get a message, I see at the top of the screen if it is a text or email and tap whichever it is, and the message is right there.

    I have to agree with you as far as not being able to combine all messages in one application though, hopefull that is something that could be addressed in a future update.....

    I hope your experience improves with it. It's coming from the habits of one device and forming new habits with its replacement which is why I began this thread.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I am enjoying the learning curve for the most part. It has yet to frustrate me. There are some things I miss about the blackberry that are habit and I am used to, but not nearly enough to warrant going back with all the other improvements on Droid.
  9. #9  
    D-LuX's Avatar

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

    Default

    touch keyboard is probably the best in the industry... i rarely used the physical keyboard, but im trying... i keep hitting search, instead of the BB end key... um... other than that, im getting better... Getting used to this mail is pissing me off tho it's not the true instant push email like BB... Even set on 5 mins, it rarely forces mail every 5 mins, nor does it always notify you... which is annoying..
  10. #10  
    mclarryjr's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,727 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

    Default

    It's been fun learning the Droid except I'm not able to sleep. I'm staying up at least 2 hour past my bed time because I can't put this phone down but besides the lack of sleep I'm lovin it!!

    @D-LuX... I have all my emails forwarded to my new Gmail account and I'm getting them on the Droid as fast as my Black Berry would.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Basic learning curve is over for me, or at least i think it is. Now just learning the fun stuff. Starting to get into the VOIP aspects. That is what i need to get going. Will be traveling soon and would love to be able to VOIP through WiFi but stumbeling on that.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Having fun learning my new Droid. Trying new apps to see what the limits of this phone are.
  13. #13  

    Default

    I'm getting better and learning something new everyday. Only thing that's still giving me a hard time to get accustomed to is the physical keyboard. I still find myself just using the virtual keyboard to reduce the pain of using the real one.
  14. #14  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    13,008 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I hope your experience improves with it. It's coming from the habits of one device and forming new habits with its replacement which is why I began this thread.
    Thanks for all your feedback! I'm sure I'll get used to it
  15. #15  
    Roy Aguilera
    Roy Aguilera's Avatar
    Guest

    Default

    Soon you all will be masters of this device too.
  16. #16  
    PortareAF's Avatar

    Posts
    239 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Unlock, Root

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8notime View Post
    24 hours later and the learning curve has been really steep for me. My prior device was the Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2 running Windows Mobile 6.1, with TouchFlo 3D. My biggest struggles so far:

    - The keyboard is absolutely abysmal compared to the TP2. The TP2 keys are well spaced and have plenty of feedback. I don't believe there's a device on the market that can top the TP2 in this regard, nor did I expect the Droid too, but I was hoping for better than what's there. This really inhibits my ability to pound out long emails and/or text messages. There will never be an on screen keyboard that I will be as comfortable doing this on.

    - Having to unlock my screen every time the backlight goes out, is a huge hassle. Nor can I find any way of turning it off. If I get a text message when the screen is off I have to 1) push the top button 2) unlock the screen 3) pull the notifications panel down, 4) select the message I want to open. This is too many steps!

    - My inbox is separate from text messaging so I find myself toggling back and forth between these 2 applications to get to where I need to be. It seems really inefficient.

    - Hanging up a call, while on the speakerphone is a challenge. You have to re-engage the backlight and then hang up.

    There's many more frustrations, but that's the main ones for me.
    Well the more features a phone has the more steps it will take, plus windows mobile...is a trainwreck
  17. #17  

    Default

    I just got mine. My main struggle is with using the keyboards. The
    touchscreen keyboards are in accurate/ don't pick up every key you type, while the physical keyboards keys are flat and small.
  18. #18  
    Roy Aguilera
    Roy Aguilera's Avatar
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash98 View Post
    I just got mine. My main struggle is with using the keyboards. The
    touchscreen keyboards are in accurate/ don't pick up every key you type, while the physical keyboards keys are flat and small.
    Takes some getting used to. It took me a minute to adjust.

Posting Permissions

B