Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Default droid 2.2 Froyo found features

I have found some neat things that i have not found discussed anywhere..

Youtube on the droid has made some improvements here are some i found..

1. We can now set it to play high quality on start up as default.

2. We can also upload videos to youtube over 3g connection.. (no more wifi needed!)

3. Also new HD button on videos. if u decide to watch in hd.

hope u find these as interesting as i did... please post anything that you guys have found:-)

here are some screen shots...

Carrier
    AOSP by preferance

this was actually released before Froyo. It is the Youtube.apk from the EVO 4G. It is just being universally bundled with Froyo now

I got that on an update we recently got here in Asia. I was hoping the update was Froyo, but it wasn't. It seemed to be mostly bug fixes -- but one of the pluses was that HQ youtube player.

Just noticed that Froyo has a threaded call log <3
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9/Franco Kernal

1. When your phone is in the cardock and you make a call it will automatically go to speakerphone mode. Pull the phone out of the doc and speakerphone mode goes away.

2. Threaded downloads in the browser (kind nifty if you download a couple things a day)

3. 5 screens as a default. 3d app launcher as a default.

4. updated baseband seems to help signal as well as battery life.

5. Chrome to Phone is awesome. nuff said.

6. The twitter app is built into the OS.

Carrier
    AOSP by preferance

so i don't need the cardock speakervphone app anymore? it does it natively.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

My exchange email will now suggest email addresses from the corporate directory.

Bluetooth voice dialing works. Cannot seem to get other bluetooth voice commands to work like open calender, etc.

Still cannot find an email search capability.

On the second build it will landscape view turning the phone right now in apps not just left. I dont think the first froyo keak did that. I did notice that my silent ringer is broken. If I volume down it just goes to vibrate. In the options I can make it go silent but then it wont vibrate.

It's not broken. If you go into sound settings and click on vibrate, it will let you choose when it vibrates.

Quote Originally Posted by myersjesse View Post
    It's not broken. If you go into sound settings and click on vibrate, it will let you choose when it vibrates.
    Regardless of where you set the option you can't use the volume rocker to go down to vibrate only then down to silent like it did before. It is one or the other. It is broke.

Carrier
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by chuckz28 View Post
    Regardless of where you set the option you can't use the volume rocker to go down to vibrate only then down to silent like it did before. It is one or the other. It is broke.
    Now now, it's not broken, it's just different than what you expect. I actually kind of like it the way it is now, because I can just put it on vibrate from the lock screen, and I never use absolutely silent anyhow. But, if you do use it, you can set it up to determine when it vibrates, so it won't on silent.

Granted, you don't get the middle ground, for most people it probably won't make a difference.

Peter

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9-RC1, Stock

Anyone notice that if you hold an app shortcut from your homescreen over the trash long enough, it'll uninstall the app for you? Or maybe I'm just that slow to notice it...
    Android Advocate

Global Posts
    3,848 Global Posts
    Carrier
    JellyBean 4.1.2/Stock

Quote Originally Posted by philip.stinger View Post
    Anyone notice that if you hold an app shortcut from your homescreen over the trash long enough, it'll uninstall the app for you? Or maybe I'm just that slow to notice it...
    You are correct, people had recently started adding this to launchers but it's default on froyo.

Things I miss:

1. Control of LED colors

2. Vibe and Silent on rocker

3. Power button menu no longer has the reboot option

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Miui 1.1.7.0,

Quote Originally Posted by Shay D. Life View Post
    You are correct, people had recently started adding this to launchers but it's default on froyo.

Things I miss:

1. Control of LED colors

From what I remember, power button never had a reboot option- that was baked into Koush's rom. It was a great feature. I know for sure that my Droid never had it stock.

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9-RC1, Stock

Two more things...

1) You can now specify a signature with 'email' accounts (i.e. an exchange account)

2) Exchange account will search the exchange global address book when adding people to the 'to', etc. fields (might not be new, but I never got it to work before Froyo).

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shay D. Life View Post

Things I miss:

1. Control of LED colors

I Agree. I just discovered this feature and im not liking it. I just had twitter go off w/ some sounds and im not going to go set silent manually on all of my notifications. While of course I do enjoy the goodness of the bonus of a froyo w/ root. This really is annoying cuz now i have to turn the phone off at night so i can sleep peacefully.. I dunno. still debating but not good in my favor given that i use it for my alarm clock.

Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    I Agree. I just discovered this feature and im not liking it. I just had twitter go off w/ some sounds and im not going to go set silent manually on all of my notifications. While of course I do enjoy the goodness of the bonus of a froyo w/ root. This really is annoying cuz now i have to turn the phone off at night so i can sleep peacefully.. I dunno. still debating but not good in my favor given that i use it for my alarm clock.
    you can just put notifications to silent in the sounds menu under settings

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9-RC1, Stock

Use AudioManager... widget lets you set alerts and ringers to vibrate (or differentially adjust volume) while leaving alarm volume alone.

Carrier
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    I suggest using something like SweetDreams to remedy this. You set it to turn on at a certain time, at which point it can silence your phone, make it only vibrate, or change the ringer volume. You can also tell it to turn off things like Wifi, 3G, or really any other radio. On top of that I think you can set up the brightness at your specified time. Then, at another set time, it will re-enable all the things you turned off during sleep time. So, you can just set it up so that it re-enables sometime before your alarm goes off.

I've been using this since pre-2.2 and it is really convenient and works really well. There are some other options you can play with, like triggers to make your phone "wake-up", including sound, motion, and location, which is also kind of useful. Give it a whirl and hopefully it will solve your night time problems .

Peter