Better Unlock Button?

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, just upgraded to the Droid today and I was wondering if anyone knows of a better way to unlock the screen than having to use the button on the top? It's really irritating and inconvenient to have to reach to the top of the phone EVERY time I want to use it. i was hoping there may be some app or workaround that could make the camera button act as the "lock/power" button instead of the camera button, thus allowing me to easily hit it with a finger (I don't really need a dedicated hardware button for the camera as much as I need a more convenient lock/unlock button). Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

UPDATE:
OKAY! Found my solution: an app called ScreenModeWidget
It's a little widget that toggles between three modes:
Sleep Auto: Normal screen action, only power/lock button locks/unlocks phone, still slide
Awake Stay: Power/lock button, camera button, or volume buttons wake and unlock the screen, no need to slide (sliding is unnecessary IMO, never hit the button accidentally). Also great because if you just slide the keyboard out it's already unlocked!
Screen Stay: Screen never locks, just stays awake unless you lock it with the lock button

I LOVE this app, it's so amazing, whenever I have the phone sitting on my desk and get a text, just tap the camera button (not even all the way, just the half-way depression), and there's my screen ready to go. I also really like being able to slide open the keyboard and just start doing stuff, the sliding seems like an unnecessary step to me. Anyways, hope this helps anyone frustrated with having to hit the power button and then slide the lock screen!

Last edited:

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Really dude? Well if its that much trouble for you to reach all the way up there, there's an app called lock 2.0 that has a homescreen icon u can use to lock the phone. Its an iPhone like slider lock with customizable skins and password protected if u like.

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree in a day or two it will become second nature. Better that than running the battery down if the screen gets bumped.

R

Roy Aguilera

Its really not really that big of a deal. I personally like that there is steps to unlocking the phone. However it doesn't sound farfetched that it would bother some. Maybe an app all make it possible to use your camera button instead of the top button. Atleast this seems to be the bigger complaint. I think we have a good one folks.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Like any new device it will take a few days to get used to it. I was the same way with my iPhone at first with the power button on top and the slide to unlock. Not really a major issue IMHO.

R

Roy Aguilera

Like any new device it will take a few days to get used to it. I was the same way with my iPhone at first with the power button on top and the slide to unlock. Not really a major issue IMHO.

Exactly it takes a few days to get used to the change.

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you guys are misunderstanding. On the iPhone it's a COMPLETELY different story.
To unlock you just pickup the phone, hit the "home" button right at the bottom, then slide, all with your thumb.
On the Droid you have to pick it up, reach awkwardly around the back with your pointer finger and push the top button, then re-position it and slide with your thumb.

I'm not complaining about locking it with the top button, that doesn't annoy me because you just push the button and you're done, it's the two completely separate motions required to unlock it that irritate me. Does that make sense?

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I think you guys are misunderstanding. On the iPhone it's a COMPLETELY different story.
To unlock you just pickup the phone, hit the "home" button right at the bottom, then slide, all with your thumb.
On the Droid you have to pick it up, reach awkwardly around the back with your pointer finger and push the top button, then re-position it and slide with your thumb.

I'm not complaining about locking it with the top button, that doesn't annoy me because you just push the button and you're done, it's the two completely separate motions required to unlock it that irritate me. Does that make sense?

It makes sense and was a little annoying at first. Although "you'll get used to it" is never a favorite answer for anyone....I think you will. As a couple of others have said it just becomes second nature.

ScottsdaleHokie#AC

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

Not really.

It became second nature after a day or two.

Not to mention I don't know why you have to "reach awkwardly around the back with your pointer finger and push the top button." When I pick up the phone, my index finger hits that button and the screen is on and ready to go by the time I look at it.

R

Roy Aguilera

Not really.

It became second nature after a day or two.

Not to mention I don't know why you have to "reach awkwardly around the back with your pointer finger and push the top button." When I pick up the phone, my index finger hits that button and the screen is on and ready to go by the time I look at it.

Yup. Awkwardly would be folding your finger backwards.

jdaly

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Was thinking about the same thing this morning. If you want to use the phone with one hand, let's say your right hand - when you pick up the phone, it's in the palm of your hand, it is a bit awkward to get your index finger on the power button. If you're in a position to use two hands, much easier to pick up with the left hand as your index finger falls right on the power button. I've had this almost a week now, and yes I got used to it, but it's still annoying sometimes. No biggie though.

Snaz

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
This thread makes me smile. I'm sorry for anyone that it is really bothering....

BUT if this is the worst that you can find to complain about.....

ibdoomed

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm just waiting for the holster that it recognizes so it'll sleep when it's in it and awaken and unlock when you pull it out, just like a blackberry.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
This thread makes me smile. I'm sorry for anyone that it is really bothering....

BUT if this is the worst that you can find to complain about.....

Same thing I was thinking. But everyone has their little thing so no biggie. The reason, I believe, they decided to do that is so that you don't accidentally unlock it with it being a touch screen and all. Just trying to help you look at the positives. =)

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that someone is working on an app that will allow us to simply look at our Droids and they'll spring to life.:D

Seriously, I've wondered if it would be possible to create an app that would allow the user to activate the phone by tapping each of the four corners of the screen, something unlikely to happen by accident. I'm guessing the OS doesn't allow it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL