Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Droid as Alarm Clock

    Like many others, I have spent a lot of time refining my use of my Droid as my primary alarm clock. For me, the problem has been the screen being too bright. I am using the Motorola Multimedia Dock. The stock docking screen is dimmable, but there is not contrast and it is still too bright. I am blind as a bat in the middle of the night and the gray on gray was not cutting it.

    I found in another thread, thanks to Edwinc8811, a link to Droid Life, with an APK for the nexus one docking screen. This was a vast improvement for brightness and even contrast, as the screen saver mode is a floating dark-green clock on black background. My only issue with this, was that it was too small. But a good looking clock, nonetheless.

    I recently stumbled onto an app called "Night Clock". It is a basic app that replaces the dock screen with a full-screen clock on a black background. You can adjust the font and color. It also has the ability to invert the clock so, if you are just using the charging cable, it will display the clock so the cord can be going up.

    I can finally see the clock in the middle of the night!!! Now, let's hope Motorola fixes the buttons not dimming in docked mode with Froyo.

    Hope this helps somebody.
  2. #2  

    Default

    I loaded froyo yesterday and was surprised that the media dock had changed but I think I like it. It uses the same backround as not being on the dock and just adds the icons at the bottom. Then eventually it changes to clock only that moves around like a screen saver. I woke up in the middle of the night to find that out so I dont know how long it takes to get to that point.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racyn27 View Post
    I loaded froyo yesterday and was surprised that the media dock had changed but I think I like it. It uses the same backround as not being on the dock and just adds the icons at the bottom. Then eventually it changes to clock only that moves around like a screen saver. I woke up in the middle of the night to find that out so I dont know how long it takes to get to that point.
    FYI, that's the standard Android dock (at least it's the same one on Nexus and cyanogenmod)
  4. #4  

    Default

    When the phone is in the dock, does the screen have to be on always? I don't have a bedside table so I have to sit my Droid on the carpet floor next to my bed. Of course the screen isn't lit and I don't have a problem.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Nope. You can turn it off with the power button.

    Quote Originally Posted by myriad46 View Post
    Now, let's hope Motorola fixes the buttons not dimming in docked mode with Froyo.
    They did.

    At least, it has been on the leaks.
  6. #6  
    acles003's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Try Gentle Alarm.. its pretty cool.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post

    They did.

    At least, it has been on the leaks.
    You mean on the leaked versions of 2.2? We'll have to see if it was Motorola's idea or the cookers, because from what I understand, this was one of the first things fixed in all the custom ROMS. Right?
  8. #8  
    pjjanak's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myriad46 View Post
    You mean on the leaked versions of 2.2? We'll have to see if it was Motorola's idea or the cookers, because from what I understand, this was one of the first things fixed in all the custom ROMS. Right?
    I believe it was in the original leaked ROM....so, I would say it was Motorola's.

    Peter

Posting Permissions