moto droids 1st weekend #'s

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Check out this site to see droids 1st estimated weekend numbers http://www.androidguys.com/2009/11/11/verizon-deploys-100000-droids-on-first-weekend/

R

Roy Aguilera

That number will grow. This is an awesome device and word of mouth sells.

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Awesome! It's a win no matter what android device or carrier you have, more androids in hands means more app development. Wouldn't surprise me to see the app marketplace double very quickly within the next few months.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I think apps will come rapidly and people will continue to migrate to the droid as word of mouth spreads, people see it, people try it, the ads play, and people's existing contracts end.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
WOW! Droid Sales Estimate Now 400,000 not 100,000

Michael Cote of the Cote Collaborative believes Verizon has sold at least 400,000 Droid phones, more than four times as many as BroadPoint AmTech analyst Mark McKechnie's best guess earlier this week. BroadPoint's 100,000 sales estimate for the heavily hyped $200 Google Android-powered phone had been the most widely circulated guess on consumer demand for the Droid to date.

"This is a moving target," Cote says of his larger estimate.

Cote credits McKechnie with having accurate Verizon store Droid allocation numbers, but says that is only part of the picture. Cote, who is a pricing and product strategy consultant to several of the major industry players, says his checks of all Droid outlets including Best Buy (BBY Quote) stores and online sales show a much bigger number.

Motorola Droid Not as Lifeless as First Thought | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

I tell you though, that Scott Moritz' reporting really gets on my nerve and I told him as much yesterday and today. I had also told him yesterday that it was clear that yesterday's estimate didn't include other retailers or online retail, only Verizon stores.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Threads merged.

LOL! That wasn't there when I started typing. :eek:

Anyway, my figures are way better~! I've been proselytizing the Droid all over the web. I'm a Droid ho, telling the analysts, "dudes, you're screwing up and not including all the retailers and online websites that are selling Droids in your estimates." Then I flash them a Droid red eye. ;) Hey, it gets results.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Your information was actually an excellent addition to the thread. It would be really fun to know exactly how many of these things they sold. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was closer to 100k considering how many customers Verizon has.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Your information was actually an excellent addition to the thread. It would be really fun to know exactly how many of these things they sold. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was closer to 100k considering how many customers Verizon has.

I think the 400,000 figure is far more accurate. Have a look at these new mobile web stats. The Droid has already garnered 2.5% of total mobile traffic share. Given Apple's market share which includes the iPhone and iPod Touchs, do the math.

2.5% at 100,000 phones would mean that the 57% Apple share would equal only 2,280,000 iPhones and iPods. Considering AT&T gave sales figures of 3 million iPhones for the last quarter alone, how likely is it that only 2.28 million iPhones/iPods are using the web?

iPhone vs Android vs Droid vs everything else marketshare | Clicky

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I think the 400,000 figure is far more accurate. Have a look at these new mobile web stats. The Droid has already garnered 2.5% of total mobile traffic share. Given Apple's market share which includes the iPhone and iPod Touchs, do the math.

2.5% at 100,000 phones would mean that the 57% Apple share would equal only 2,280,000 iPhones and iPods. Considering AT&T gave sales figures of 3 million iPhones for the last quarter alone, how likely is it that only 2.28 million iPhones/iPods are using the web?

iPhone vs Android vs Droid vs everything else marketshare | Clicky

I read several places they only had 200,000 units for release week????????

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I read several places they only had 200,000 units for release week????????

That was the estimate of the same analyst, McKenie I think, who said only 100,000 were sold and he was basing his estimate on Verizon stores alone. He believes, through whatever channel checks he has, that Verizon stores stocked 200,000 Droids and sold about half of them.

My contention was always that there were far more outlets to buy a Droid from than just the Verizon stores and we don't know what their inventory was or is. The Droid was also available at Walmart and Best Buy and online at Verizon, Walmart, Amazon, Tiger Direct and Wirefly and all for less in that they gave you the rebate instantly and some gave you a bigger price reduction on top of that.

Amazon has them for $149. They showed no stock until Sat. Then they showed "In Stock" with ship out date of Nov. 10th. I went back yesterday to buy and they were all sold out. New shipment showing 2-3 weeks.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Its never shown out-of-stock on verizons website. I ordered mine through 611, and had it at 10am Sat the 7th! I love this phone!

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Its never shown out-of-stock on verizons website. I ordered mine through 611, and had it at 10am Sat the 7th! I love this phone!

I know, but I prefer Amazon's price of $149 versus Verizon's $199. :D Like I said, Amazon did have it on Sat., but it was gone by late Monday and back to "ships in 2-3 weeks." However, that's how the original listing started and it changed the same day so I keep checking multiple times each day.

Also, I noticed some sites don't seem to offer the insurance plan and I want that. Tiger Direct has their own particular insurance plan that you have to buy right out rather than have it added to your monthly bill ($50 up front versus $6/month) putting the grand total of the purchase back up to $199. Since I'm putting the phone on credit, I'd rather not have to pay interest on top of it.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't use tigerdirects insurance! I have a good buddy that got the insurance through them for a phone he got from them for his wife, and he fought with them for 3 months. The phone would power up, then shut off as I recall. They tried some testing, and he said he couldn't understand the gal on the phone at all (over seas call center?) got no where, tried several calls/e-mails after that and they cut off communication, so he gave up!