New from Blackberry - Notifications Help

wwwdeveloper

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I really like the droid a lot, it is much faster than my blackberry storm. Is there anyway to get the notifications to show mail header information such as: Name, Subject? Like: John Doe Hey how's it going?

Right now it only shows "New email" and I have to touch it to go to that inbox.

I also really liked how on my blackberry all of my e-mail accounts (gmail, and exchange) was in one inbox.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Might wanna check the marketplace to search for some kind of email pop up viewer. I know there is one for SMS. Not sure about email though.

wwwdeveloper

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
yeah, I'm not really looking for popups. Just want the notification that is on the top...when I slide it down to show the info, not just link to the apps.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
When you slide down the notification bar it will show you that info for gmails... You can have a unified inbox by adding your gmail to the "email" app. However, your gmail will not push in that app.

wwwdeveloper

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When I slide down my notifications on the droid it i says new mail and my e-mail address...when I touch it, it goes to my gmail app. How did you get yours to show who the email was from and the subject when you slide down the notifications?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure. I didn't change any settings. I have noticed that I do sometimes get the "new mail and my email address" notification tho as well.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine gives the name and quick part of the message when I pull down that notification slider....I believe thats a Gmail app thing?

Last edited:

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
You're sure you're not getting notification descriptions for your "gmail" app emails? I don't get descriptions for the accounts in the "email" app. Maybe stop by a verizon store and find out/maybe swap your phone... Altho there have been weird things that have been popping up. My gmail started working today randomly and my battery died super fast. Someone else posted about the physical keyboard having an autocorrect feature (showing the autocorrect word list) intermittently. Maybe yours is just another quirk.

wwwdeveloper

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Solved

Glad I didn't take the advice and deal with swapping the phone out.

I figured out the the problem is, android notifications only show the sender and subject IF it is the only UNOPENED message in the inbox. I wasn't used to this, because Blackberry notifications inbox always shows the sender and subject for all messages no matter how many of them were unopened.

I did a batch job on my inbox and marked 1600+ items as read, and now Android shows the the sender and subject in the notifications for gmail only if there is one unread message in the inbox.

And the reason I had 1600+ unopened e-mails was because I used to only handle this account mainly on the berry....which I didn't want it syncing with the actual account.

I really love my Droid and the Android OS, but I just wish they could handle e-mail and notifications as good as Blackberry does. Blackberry definitely still has them beat in message handling.

bitman

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I had email notifications for both pop and gmail in the notifications bar, but now I only have gmail any suggestions?
Love the Droid came from a Tour.

kegstand

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Glad I didn't take the advice and deal with swapping the phone out.

I figured out the the problem is, android notifications only show the sender and subject IF it is the only UNOPENED message in the inbox. I wasn't used to this, because Blackberry notifications inbox always shows the sender and subject for all messages no matter how many of them were unopened.

I did a batch job on my inbox and marked 1600+ items as read, and now Android shows the the sender and subject in the notifications for gmail only if there is one unread message in the inbox.

And the reason I had 1600+ unopened e-mails was because I used to only handle this account mainly on the berry....which I didn't want it syncing with the actual account.

I really love my Droid and the Android OS, but I just wish they could handle e-mail and notifications as good as Blackberry does. Blackberry definitely still has them beat in message handling.

Yeah that's one thing BB always did well I think they got too big for their britches when they started getting fancy and adding everything else. Their awesome messaging system doesn't do a lot of good when I spent most of my days battery pulling my Storm.

I remember when I first got a BB and talked to RIM and they told me they were NEVER going to put a camera on a BB EVER. Because they go after the business person and there is no need...blah, blah. It's funny because even at the time I knew they would have to adopt the change.