1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Default Intermittent freezing when sms texting on moto droid..

So I'm not sure if you guys are experiencing the same issues, but I was searching the forums regarding the issue but didn't find anything. Basically a few (2-3) times a day when I open a message and click on "type to compose" on the screen to pull up the keyboard the keyboard wouldn't pop up and I would repeatedly click on it to try to get the keyboard to appear.. then I would try to get out of that and goto the home screen but still nothing would happen, although the haptics would respond.. after a few times of hitting the home button I would finally get a "unexpected error" or something like that box pulls up and I have the option to "force quit." I don't know if you guys on your Droids are experiencing the same problems?? Thanks in advance!

Fortunately for me I have not experienced this problem. Sorry. Might wanna kill some Apps running in the background. Might be causing the lag.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

it's weird tho because overall my phone hasn't been experience any lag with anything pretty much it's so dayam fast lol.. just during this instance it'll do that..

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

I've had this happen a few times. It appears to happen when it has trouble connecting and sending the SMS or MMS. The send/receive icons have stayed illuminated each time this has happened and twice the message failed to send altogether. For me it only seems to have been an issue deep inside buildings where the phone was bouncing between a 1x and 3G connection. I imagine it would react the same around a fringe part of the network.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

thanks for the reply, it's a lil more comforting that it's not just me lol.. I do work on a bottom floor of a mall.. I'll try to notice where I am if it happens next time (hopefully not .. anyone else have experiences with this?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Yes, I've had this happen also.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

ive had it happen too, mostly tonight

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Anyne else having this issue??? Any ideas if it's the OS??? Seems to just do it randomly, or non stop, or not at all... very odd... and very annoying

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Change too often.

I've had it happen twice since I got it. I'm just waiting to see how the first update improves the little glitches some of us are seeing. I got the same force quit message and would open it back up and everything was fine.

I'm on my third Droid. First one kept freezing, second one crashed every five minutes or under heavy load. Thought this one was going to be the keeper. But I'm not sure anymore. Once in a while I will get a error message from an app. No biggie, I know it's 1st Generation, which tends to mean we are beta testers.

But this texting bug might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Texting is pretty much all I do. At least with my unit I can replicate the bug. If you put the phone to sleep (pressing lock button) while the on-screen keyboard is being displayed while in the Messaging App. When you un-lock and try to "type to compose", it freezes up. Sometimes you can get out of it by hitting back or home. Usually hitting the lock button and back will remedy it. You do get an error messaging here and there asking if you would like to quit app or wait.

It's annoying cause when sending a text and wanting to lock to the unit for whatever purpose to get back to the conversation later. It causes the bug.

If you lock phone while on-screen board is collapsed you should not have this problem.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Just tried to duplicate exactly what you said.........nope never froze once, tried it around ten times, worked perfect everytime.
    Handspring>Palm>Win-Mo>iPhone>Blackberry>Droid>DroidX>Incredible>TB

I have the exact problem as Bodhi27

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Mine was doing it all the time. I took it back and got a new droid. They first tried to give me a new phone and swap sd cards. Didn't work. Turns out I had a bad sd card. Once he copied the old sd card onto the new sd card, zero problems with the phone.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Exclamation SD Card related freeze occasionally

^^^ ezyflip got the answer. There have been many bad SD cards in some of these Droids. IF that condition occurs again, try this>>> remove battery>>> remove SD card>>>retry what ever program you were in IF that problem does not occur, TRY to reformat it on a desktop PC first using the FAT 32 approach>>>re-insert card back into Droid and re-test. "MOST" often this will fix it, IF NOT time for a replacement card from a VZW store. Be nice when you go in to the store, explain all the steps you did to recreate that concern and you will leave that store a happy person !!
    Handspring>Palm>Win-Mo>iPhone>Blackberry>Droid>DroidX>Incredible>TB

Default wtf

my phone does the same thing, it locks up like seriously 15 times a day when going from texting to locking, it also freezes up elsewhere but im probably getting texts at the same time... I have advanced task killer and kill all my processes and it seems to work ok for a little. The memory card works perfectly when i put it in a computer and transfer files to and from so i dont think thats it. it seems like an os bug....

Has anyone fixed it or is it an os bug?

Actually my phone just crashed and rebooted itself while i was typing this... do i have a bum Motorola droid?????

Thanks, Mike

Global Posts
    513 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

Mine does the same thing, I get a lot of force closes / freezes in the SMS App, but not very often elsewhere.

I also have a bug where when opening the SMS app, it actually opens up a different app. For example, I was playing Papijump for awhile, stopped, and wanted to text someone, but clicking the text icon kept bringing up Papijump. I had to do a reset of the phone to get it working again. Anyone else have that bug?

I experienced the same issue today, tried running txt without the card, still froze, formatted card, same result. Got a NEW phone NEW SD card. SAME problem!! I also thought well maybe it's the txt'ng program so I installed HandSent SMS and had the same issues with the keyboard not coming up after coming off lock. I have noticed if you go to horizontal the screen will pop up, or if you slide the keyboard out. This is getting very frustrating as 90% off what I do is txt'ng. Anyone else have any ideas?

OK! being an IT guy and with GF pregnant and bored. I decided to test a bunch off stuff. It seems the problem is not the texting. When keyboard is locked up and I cant type (unless I flip horiz) txt's still came in. When I turned off the onscreen keyboard I was unable to lock the phone up. Only been at it for 10 minutes but I could do it 80% off the time when the onscreen keyboard is enabled.

It's an OS issue, or more specifically an app issue. It's caused by leaving the SMS app open in a thread and putting the device to sleep. If a new SMS comes in, the app will freeze. Quick fix it to exit to the home screen before sleeping the device, hopefully the upcoming OS update will fix it.

The thing is, I tried same on Friends and the one at store. Those never failed. He has first batch of phones, I got mine on Saturday. So if it was an OS issue u would think I could recreate on every single phone, no ?