Magnet Placement to get docking modes

OP4Prez

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I took the plunge and figure out where you need to place magnets to get the phone into the car and home docking modes. I know there's a video of placing the phone against some magnets on cardboard, but they don't specify the location on the back of the phone.

I took two VERY strong rare earth magnets and slid them along the centerline on the back of the phone until I found the sweet spots. These picture I made show where to place the magnets for home dock and car dock:

CAR DOCK
DROIDCARDOCK.jpg

HOME DOCK (ignore the dot over the Motorola logo, I found it wasn't actually needed)
DROIDDESKTOPDOCK.jpg

I did this because I was thinking about making a custom fixture in my dash board for my droid and a custom picture frame for at home. I hope others try this with magnets of varying strengths. I just had some rare earth ones from a project at work.

FYI: The magnests are cylinders that are .25" long by .25" in diameter.

Last edited:

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
That's whats up! I plan on doing the same thing only more like a custom wood cradle for next to my bed as my room is mostly wood furniture and paneling. Glad to know where to mount my magnets ;)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I made a wood cradle to put next to my bed and use the software dockrunner instead of using the magnets it saved me $30.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I made a wood cradle to put next to my bed and use the software dockrunner instead of using the magnets it saved me $30.

You couldn't post a picture could you? I would love to see it.
LOL we may end up having a "Post your homemade Droid dock photo" thread in a couple of months lol!

DavinFelth

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I didn't buy a multimedia dock. But this info has me thinking what I could do to make a cool one.

Some sort of R2-D2 dock would appropriate. :)