motorola droid

boos1906

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
hey guys I have a couple question

The battery on my droid doesnt last very long. I was into verizon the other day and they werent sure what one but they said there are apps in the market to fix this. Secondly how do I completely delete a app off my phone.

G

GenericMessage

hey guys I have a couple question

The battery on my droid doesnt last very long. I was into verizon the other day and they werent sure what one but they said there are apps in the market to fix this. Secondly how do I completely delete a app off my phone.

Welcome to the world of Android.

I wont sit here and be a jerk and say "its already in a post"

So here goes.

Is this your first smartphone?

The Droid is a very powerful device with constant connection to the internet, GPS, WIFI, and other such connections. That being said, the batter tends to die after about 4-5 hrs of heavy use.

Many people will try to tell you to download task killers, DO NOT DO THIS. It is NOT good for your phone and will adversely effect the performance of your device.

To remove a application you have downloaded off of your phone can be done two different ways; Via the market, by clicking on the downloads tab and then clicking "uninstall" or in the settings of the phone and the applications tab, then clicking on the program and then clicking "uninstall"

Please, if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask!

boos1906

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the help. when i bought the phone the verizon rep downloaded advanced task killer. so should i delete this app. this rep is very good with the droid and i find it suprising he would down load some thing i shouldnt have.

G

GenericMessage

thanks for the help. when i bought the phone the verizon rep downloaded advanced task killer. so should i delete this app. this rep is very good with the droid and i find it suprising he would down load some thing i shouldnt have.

For some reason, EVERY verizon employee seems keen on this program.

But many of us in the community see it as something that is not needed as it can kill of programs necessary for the operating system to work! Android already have a task manager installed in it

bojowaggie

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my phone I played with it a LOT I would drain the phone in about 4 hrs. Now that the "newness" has worn off, I take my phone off charge around 5 am and it does not go back on charge until 9:30 or so at night. I do use my phone a lot, I also have a blue tooth headset running from about 7:30 to 7 at night and by the time I go to bed I have about 30% left of the battery..
I am not a light user probably average, I probably use roughly 200 to 300 minutes a day and getting this kind of battery life out of the stock batter and stock phone.. So once the "newness" wears off you should get good battery life out of this phone..

Enjoy and enjoy the phone..

pyroelite

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well... if you root, you can install a custom rom or kernel that allows for over/underclocking & in conjunction with the app setcpu, u can create profiles for increased speed for power & decreased speed for idle (less battery use). Also try a low voltage kernel: less voltage = less power consumption. Those are the two most significant ways to increase bat life. Without rooting, you are limited to ultimate juice (limits background apps' access to the data connection to specified intervals) def helps when in standby. Other than that, limit brightness and be conscious of certain unnecessary apps that constantly run as services in the background. Don't use taskkillers... although, with the scripts built into bugless beast & kangerade roms, you can make the internal task killer of android function better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Not to be a jerk, but this would be a tough assessment for you to make with your experience with this phone so far. No fault on your part, but I am sure that every rep THINKS they are good with the phone. Find out if he owns it or not. This community is a far better place to find realiable information.

Some of the tutorials on Motorola's and Google's web sites would be a good place for your to start. Grab some popcorn and search YouTube for Android tutorials or walkthroughs. I bet a lot of your questions will be answered.

Good Luck!

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
While I will say that there are threads on battery life that you should consult (here and on other Droid forum sites), I'll try to boil it down a bit. Basically, don't assume that there's a quick fix or app to solve your problem. There are any number of potential causes for poor battery life including the way you're using the device. As stated above, a lot of people new to their devices use their device a lot at first and this, of course, can greatly impact battery life.

I'd suggest starting with the battery info screen. You can find it via Settings->About phone->Battery info/use. Tackle the items at the top of the list. However, this screen doesn't list every potential battery hog.

Poor coverage will eat your battery.

Actively using the GPS receiver, whether you're specifically using a GPS-enabled app or have an app that routinely uses GPS for whatever reason, will kill your battery quickly. Many recommend just turning GPS off as well as WiFI and Bluetooth. I leave all 3 on all the time an have excellent battery life (but have no apps that use GPS automatically). That said, it can be useful to turn these off to troubleshoot battery issues or if you just want to make sure that nothing's using them (or if you never intend to use them).

Heavy 3G usage (browsing, downloading, whatever) will eat up the battery. In general, WiFi will draw less power for the same amount of data. If you can use WiFi instead of 3G then do so.

The display itself tends to be one of the major battery hogs. If the automatic setting consumes too much then try manually dimming and adjusting your timeout.

Frequent polling of email accounts will also eat your battery. You have to balance polling versus battery life if you have email accounts that have to be polled. I prefer push email for this reason.

I'm sure there are other reasons and plenty of other suggestions for improving your battery life. It's going to take some effort on your part to address it effectively. Whatever you do, don't randomly implement suggestions. You need to make sure that whatever you choose to do is relevant for you situation. It makes no sense to take battery saving measures on things that will have little to no impact on your battery life.

A task manager/killer is a terrible suggestion for someone unfamiliar with Android. Kill the wrong apps/processes/services and you'll make thing worse. That's not to say that they don't have their uses but I wouldn't recommend one as a battery saving measure.

Last edited:

boos1906

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I went into my settings and did the battery check thing to see what was using most my of my battery. It says that my display is using 59% of my battery. The next closest was my phone idle which was only 9%. So what are some things I can do to my display to lower that number?

G

GenericMessage

Yeah, basically don't use the phone, thats the best way to improve battery life

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
what you can do is 1) lower the screen timeout 2) turn off auto brightness and keep it very low always at a fixed setting and 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, stop playing with it every second of the day :)

imo task killer really has nothing to do with it. UNLESS you have it set to kill stuff automatically and at high frequencies (or you micromanage and constantly open it to kill stuff).

Look, the phone is new, you probably play with it all the time, battery will get crushed. As others have said, this thing utilizes all sorts of power when you use it to the max. It's one of the costs of a powerful phone these days. You'll adjust and get used to it and as time goes on you wont have it turned on at every second of the day, messing with it :) and it will last longer.

In grand scheme of things, moto's phone has bettery battery life than most power phones.

Keysopen

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I use the power control widget to control screen brightness. Inside I use the lowest setting, then when I need it, I click on the brightness button to be able to see. Then I put it back down when I am done. Saves tons of battery.