Saving Apps to SD Card potential Froyo problem

Ronnyp74

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
When I first got the Droid I was like a kid in a candy store. I downloaded a ton of apps and now my phone is saying I am almost out of memory which has me extremely frustrated. Why Motorola would make this phone with such limited storage is beyond me. So, then I find out that in the Froyo 2.2 update we can now begin saving apps to the sd card which made me happy. Now I come to read this and it appears that it is not such happy news after all. Please forgive me for being ignorant, but what does this all mean below?

According to google these kind of apps should not be moved to the sd card.

What are running services? I am guessing things that I want to always be running in the background? Examples: Missed Call Reminder, Advanced Task Manager etc?

Alarm Services? Do you mean if you have a daily/weekly alarm app downloaded that it won't go off?

Input Method Engines? Do you mean Swype vs regular standard keyboard?

Live Wallpapers I understand this one LOL!

Live Folders? What is a live folder?

Widgets. I understand this one but it won't come back until you do a system reboot?

Account Managers? What are Account Managers?

Sync Adapters? What are Sync Adapters?

Device Administrators? What is this?

My last question is will I lose Launcher Pro Home Screen which gives you the 3D app tray?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

watersrules

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont know if you know this but if your droid is rooted you can download titanium backup and force your apps over to sdcard, mostly all apps can be moved over through titanium backup i have found a few that would and its recomended that you dont run your launchers or widgets off of the sd card. try that i am pretty sure you will like what it can do

There are a lot of video tutorials out there on how to root properly without any problem. I recommend exactly the same thing.. once you get to the point of moving apps, be careful of moving widgets and things like that IMO.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Think about it. Anything on the SD card isn't immediately available when the device starts. They won't be available when the SD card is mounted to your PC. Also, don't forget that the SD card is much slower than the memory in the device.

Everything is a compromise of some sort.

GlitchZero

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Excuse my noobness (just got my Droid a few days ago) but how much app memory does the Droid actually have? And roughly how many apps could you get on it before your memory gets too low and starts closing things out?

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The Droid only has 512MB of storage for apps, but most apps rarely top 4 MB. (Google Earth, Docs to Go, and Google Maps are the three largest ones on my phone at 22, 8, and 7.5 MB respectively.) I still have plenty of app storage on my phone with 87 (according to my Appbrain page, anyway) apps on my phone. (Although I need to keep remembering to clear Toutieur's cache, though... thing gets to be 3 times the size of the app itself.)

GlitchZero

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I see. Again, sorry to bother, but do you have a lot of apps on your phone?

I seem to be fighting to stay at 50mb free, and I have maybe 30 apps. (only ranging between 100kb-3mb, most smaller than 2mb) Any tips on optimization? Is your device rooted?

Sorry for all the questions. :eek:

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd say 88 is alot, for me, anyway. I can barely keep track of which ones I use alot. I still have a good 50 MB free, which again, is more than it seems as long as you don't try to install Google Earth. Not rooted, still stock Android (though rooting is getting tempting). And really, the most I can say is to occasionally go through your apps in settings and clear out the cache if it's getting too bloated.