Skype internatioal

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I will be taking a job in Kuwait at the end of the year. I am interested in using Skype to stay in touch with home. I've read that Skype will work using wi-fi and that it will not. Does anyone have any actual experience using Skype overseas to call the US? I would like to know if it really does work using wi-fi since my employeer will be providing free wi-fi for me.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Skype ON your android device does not work over WiFi, but I think they plan on fixing that. I think most people on here are from the US, lol, so most of us don't have a lot of experience like that. :)

dr_noir

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Skype ON your android device does not work over WiFi, but I think they plan on fixing that. I think most people on here are from the US, lol, so most of us don't have a lot of experience like that. :)

Well, I'm in Mexico, and my Droid won't even let me run the Skype app unless I'm on a Verizon network. It says:
"Skype mobile can only be used on Verizon Wireless in the US"

And then it closes.

There are alternatives. I know Fring lets you use your skype account for mobile to regular phone calls, but I haven't used their app.

Let us know if it's a good alternative, wontcha!

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I'll see what I can see once I get there, I guess. The Verizon rep told me specifically it will work using wi-fi. But then again, they aren't really well versed in their products. In fact, now that I think about it, the Verizon website states that it can be used over wi-fi. Wonder if they just put that up and have no clue if it really works?

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
They're clueless, it seems...

"Skype mobile does not currently work on WiFi and requires switching to a Verizon Wireless data network connection. This may affect other apps using a WiFi connection."

Two options on that dialog box... "Turn off WiFi" and "Exit"

dr_noir

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Alternatives

Did a quick search of the Android Marketplace, and all of these free apps offer skype connectivity. Sorry for not including links to the apps. I blame the admins and the stupid "post 10 times to include USEFUL information on your posts" AAAARGH!

iSkoot for Skype
fring
Nimbuzz
Truphone for Android

Haven't tried them, but probably will later on and give my impressions on them.