Bluetooth Solution for Bad 3.5mm Jack?

riotsauce

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Sup AC--

Was wondering if you guys could offer some input on a little bind I'm in at the moment. I have a MotoDroid-- My 3rd actually-- the first two had bad headphone jacks-- now you would think at that point I am doing something wrong to cause an issue with the headphone jack, but let me assure you, I have the phone in a holster, I never wrap the headphones around the phone and I always unplug when I am not using the music player. I use your average skullcandy ear buds. SC is a reputable brand and their products are top quality so I feel that my headphones are not the issue. So finally I get fed up, go to best buy for the 4th time, and they tell me they can't keep replacing the phones because their black tie service has changed-- they have to send it to the manufacturer. So I tell em to go for it-- I waited 1 MONTH to get my phone back-- the repair notes said "We fixed it." Well lo and behold, about 3 weeks later (present day) I slightly bump the 3.5mm headphone plug and the sound cuts out and the phone thinks I've unplugged my headphones. I really don't feel like going through best buy again-- I could always run over my phone and then instead of sending it to Motorola, they would just give me a new one, but I'm afraid its gonna happen again. Plus restoring apps, data, rooting, is getting a little redundant. Anyone have any suggestions? I mentioned bluetooth in the title because I was looking for a 3.5mm bluetooth receiver-- it would be a receiver that would plug into your headphones and then wirelessly bridge them to the phone without involving the 3.5mm headphone jack. My only fear is that BT connections sometimes skip out and that would be just as annoying.

Thanks in advance!

Sauce

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
This is a known issue with the droid, as I understand it. Mine does it, and I know of several others' who do it. It is annoying. My only suggestion is to not bump the jack, lol. BT might skip out, but I don't think it would be nearly as frequent as the jack-bump issue.

gujupmp88

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
i also got fed up with it, i bought bluetooth headphones. the motorola s9-hd. but, i found that headphones that have mics on them, the ones made for phones, work the best and don't cut out nearly as often because instead of 2 rings around the connection, it has 3 and just stays in better.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
@gujupmp88, oh god, if that's the case then I feel for anyone using a regular pair of headphones! I'm using a stereo wired headset with microphone and toggle button and the thing pauses music playback any time I tap the jack just right.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned bluetooth in the title because I was looking for a 3.5mm bluetooth receiver-- it would be a receiver that would plug into your headphones and then wirelessly bridge them to the phone without involving the 3.5mm headphone jack.
Um, that definitely does use the headphone jack. You even said so in the text I quoted. You'd need bluetooth headphones to avoid the headphone jack.

I have a MotoDroid-- My 3rd actually-- the first two had bad headphone jacks-- now you would think at that point I am doing something wrong to cause an issue with the headphone jack, but let me assure you, I have the phone in a holster, I never wrap the headphones around the phone and I always unplug when I am not using the music player. I use your average skullcandy ear buds. SC is a reputable brand and their products are top quality so I feel that my headphones are not the issue.
3.5 mm jacks in general are fragile but the Droid's seems to have more problems than others. Be aware that you can cause strain on the jack if any force (even slight) is exerted on whatever is plugged into the jack.

Last edited:

miamibeef04

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Verizon Wireless has the motorokr S9 bluetooth stereo headset on sale for $50, which is 50% off normal price. Mine work GREAT with my moto droid.

seanubis

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a Motorola S305 BT headset last month - costs less than the S9, sound great, and look pretty good (if you can tolerate the "Princess Leia" effect) ... definitely an improvement over the headphone jack!

riotsauce

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Um, that definitely does use the headphone jack. You even said so in the text I quoted. You'd need bluetooth headphones to avoid the headphone jack.

I guess I don't have enough posts to post links but I was thinking something along the lines of a BluBridge Mini-Jack Rx Bluetooth Stereo Music Receiver (3.5mm) (Google it).

I meant something like that-- your headphones plug into the receiver which hooks up to your phone via BT.

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The headphone jack issue is annoying. Whenever I try to play music through with the headphones on the sound gets distorted and I have to twist the connector until I can hear the music clearly. And I only just started having this issue with my Droid a few months ago. I don't feel like taking it in for a replacement for that alone.

JJRocker

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the headphone jack issue, but was thinking about BT headphones anyway. I'm surprised they're not more popular. The Moto S305's are only $33 @ Amazon currently. I almost bought those a year ago for $100.

Anyway, I think what the OP is looking for is a means to transmit music to a bt receiver that you then plug headphones in to. I'd like to find something similar to wirelessly transmit my music to the aux jack in my car. I use the oem car dock and I hate having the long cord hang down the front of my dash to the jack in the center console (Scion Tc).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital