• Yes, if I can get root access

5 7.25%
  • I want to but my new every 2 will not let me : (

24 34.78%
  • NO

27 39.13%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default People going to droid X?

So droid X comes out in 8 days or so, I have had the Droid from day one and loved it the entire time. I like the root access and all the goodness it gives me.

So the question to the droid community is will people be moving over to the Droid X?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

if it can be rooted I think it will win my vote

Quote Originally Posted by bmderuosi View Post
    if it can be rooted I think it will win my vote
    if? ...i think in rooting, the question is always WHEN... not if
    You only wish you were Droidin' like me
    They see me Droidin', they hatin', my Big Red. Never gunna catch me rockin iPhone.
    Smoke Signals -> Rotary -> RAZR -> Droid

I was tempted, but I think I will wait to see what the Droid Pro WE is like at the end of the year. I have ONE available upgrade on my family plan left, so I don't want to waste it.
    a little obsessive...

My NE2 is up in July of 2011...right when the wave of LTE phones should be hitting, so I'm desperately trying to save my upgrade for that point. If an X fell into my lap for free, I'd use it, but I dont want to screw myself for the BIG upgrade. 2.2 and its performance increase should be able to hold me over for the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by acidsamuraix View Post
    My NE2 is up in July of 2011...right when the wave of LTE phones should be hitting, so I'm desperately trying to save my upgrade for that point. If an X fell into my lap for free, I'd use it, but I dont want to screw myself for the BIG upgrade. 2.2 and its performance increase should be able to hold me over for the wait.
    That's my thought. I don't have an upgrade until next year. In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy with my rooted Droid running 2.2.

ROM
    Something new!

I will wait until I can upgrade next Feb and see what latest and greatest will be coming out then that is LTE capable.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Very tempted, not too sure so far... My Droid is awesome, and the X seems awesome, but I'm not sure I want to give up vanilla Android (earlier updates) and the keyboard.
    Proud to be American!

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by stillpwning View Post
    Very tempted, not too sure so far... My Droid is awesome, and the X seems awesome, but I'm not sure I want to give up vanilla Android (earlier updates) and the keyboard.
    What he said!
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

one thing i know i will try to do is make a big deal about an early upgrade... AT&T let iphone users upgrade early why cant I? Maybe I'll just have to switch for that kind of service...(bluff)

ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by bmderuosi View Post
    one thing i know i will try to do is make a big deal about an early upgrade... AT&T let iphone users upgrade early why cant I? Maybe I'll just have to switch for that kind of service...(bluff)
    There is an early upgrade program, as long as your next upgrade is by the end of this year.

Peter
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

i am switching on the 15th, though i will miss my droid. its been a good soldier for the past 8 months

i am tempted but i think that my next upgrade will be for a lte phone

Default Re: People going to droid X?

My Droid rocks, but I'll be upgrading to the X when it comes out

Sent from my Droid
    DROID!!!

I can't even upgrade yet but there really just aren't that many improvements IMO. It's too incremental. I'll upgrade when there's more of a significant different between the Droid and the new devices hitting the market. I'm waiting for things such as 4G, dual cores, etc.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

I'm waiting for the 2GHz Droid.
    Last edited by dwe28; 07-10-2010 at 11:34 AM.

ROM
    None

I thought about it...and well, I'm still thinking about it. I may pick it up, but it won't be on launch day. I'll make my decision when all of the details concerning the Droid 2 are released. I figure by that time, more info concerning a potential LTE device will be known.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
    GenericMessage

Actually, I wanted to go with the X when originally hearing the rumors and such.

But the lack of a front facing camera, and no vanilla android leaves me wanting.

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

As amazing as the Droid X seems on paper, I don't think I can give up my good old original Droid. The Vanilla OS, vibrant root and ROM community, the ability to overclock, the full QWERTY keyboard, and the amazing screen resolution are enough to make me stay for another year or two. Furthermore, I heard today that although the X has a larger screen than the Droid, they are both at the same resolution. Wouldn't this result in a more lackluster, fuzzy image on the X?
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Thought the x spec sheet looks nice its pretty locked down. And vzw is acting stupid with my upgrade. They say I'm not eligible though I have one this year. Oh well makes my decision easy. I really want a front facing camera and a phone that's somewhere future proof. The x doesn't seem like it will soldier on as good as the Droid has.
    edit
    Looks like it has a digitally signed bootloader like the milestone. That rules this phone out for me. Yeah it may get rooted. But how fun is root if I can't load custom roms
    Last edited by thebizz; 07-08-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added info
    Rooted for life

Well considering I just got the Droid in November when it came out and I'm a new Verizon customer, I'm certainly not within the upgrade window. I would love to get the Droid X, but the only way would be to buy it outright and that's at least $500 right? Probably around there. They haven't released the retail full price yet but it's probably insane.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock(for now)

I will say this. As awesome as the X looks, my Droid is the first phone that I really really truly enjoy using on a daily basis. I haven't had a phone like that in, well, ever. So I don't think I shall be giving up my Droid just yet...we'll see the LTE phones that come out next year...
    Nokia 918->StarTAC->AV CDM4000->Moto T270c->AV CDM8900->LG the V->Chocolate->Voyager->BB Curve 8330->OG Droid->Thunderbolt->RAZR HD->Sammy GS4.

I can't upgrade from my Droid Original until January 2012, and I'm sure there will be another beast, possibly with hologram projectors and a 5Ghz processor or something. So unless I get one for free, I don't think I'll be swapping tech for a while.