Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default froyo on july 13th for droid ???

How legit is this??? Tried searching google and didn't find much
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

I would say if they didn't officially announce it, don't get your hopes up. Remember what happened with 2.1? everyone said Jan 23 and it didn't come out till April lol
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

We can hope. That's the date that came out like two weeks ago. Maybe there won't be a public announcement of it because of all the crap that happened with 2.1. Maybe we'll just start seeing it pushed to devices starting Tuesday.
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Yeah I can only hope they don't mess it up this time Can't wait to see froyo on that bad boy
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

i hope it is released but i don't think it will. they are trying to push the droid x so if they push out an update on the droid it may hinder the droid x sales. they will probably wait till the end of the month the earliest. i have a feeling it will be in September though, don't hold me to that.
    GenericMessage

Oh it wouldn't surprise me if we get in this month, but WHEN is a different thing.

ROM
    Something new!

Don't get your hopes up....Based on the 2.1 experience, I will be surprised if we get before September. But I'm not against being surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    i hope it is released but i don't think it will. they are trying to push the droid x so if they push out an update on the droid it may hinder the droid x sales. they will probably wait till the end of the month the earliest. i have a feeling it will be in September though, don't hold me to that.
    Normally, that would make sense but the day before the Storm2 came out on VZW last year, they released the official OTA for 5.0 OS for the Storm1. I guess they did it so the Storm1 owners didn't feel left out. They may do the same thing for the Droid. We'll see

Its hard to tell wether it is a rumor or not. It doesn't make sense though. Why would we get froyo before the droid x releases?

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts

Why would Verizon care about Droid X sales vs Droid updates? Their MO is to get subcriptions, right - I would venture a guess that they make nearly zero money from a phone sale, especially compared to a sub sale...

Quote Originally Posted by sperho View Post
    Why would Verizon care about Droid X sales vs Droid updates? Their MO is to get subcriptions, right - I would venture a guess that they make nearly zero money from a phone sale, especially compared to a sub sale...
    I agree.

It sort of reminds me of the whole "lost leader" concept. You know.... $1 Big Macs. Then, you buy Coke and fries and THAT'S where they make the money. They sort of hate when you buy just a Big Mac.

If (and I stress "IF") Verizon makes their money on subscriptions then where is the incentive to proactive about OS upgrades? If I was Verizon I'd have the most rigorous testing ever and be months behind every other carfrier. Let everyone else work out all of the kinks while I count my money from new customer sales.

Who ever switched carriers because of a possible OS upgrade? Not many. But, new devices, better service, better coverage, new phone purchase deals - that's what gets new customers. Then, with monthly subscriptions + 2-year contracts + early termination fees = who cares about 2.2?

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

I hope they give Froyo on the 13th, I leave for Maui the next day!
    Froyo Update + Maui = GREAT VACATION.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I agree.

It sort of reminds me of the whole "lost leader" concept. You know.... $1 Big Macs. Then, you buy Coke and fries and THAT'S where they make the money. They sort of hate when you buy just a Big Mac.

If (and I stress "IF") Verizon makes their money on subscriptions then where is the incentive to proactive about OS upgrades? If I was Verizon I'd have the most rigorous testing ever and be months behind every other carfrier. Let everyone else work out all of the kinks while I count my money from new customer sales.

Who ever switched carriers because of a possible OS upgrade? Not many. But, new devices, better service, better coverage, new phone purchase deals - that's what gets new customers. Then, with monthly subscriptions + 2-year contracts + early termination fees = who cares about 2.2?
    If Verizon shows they don't care for they're current customers, how would they be able to get new ones?

July 13-15th is when I heard..a buddy of mine has a contact at Verizon and that's the date/timeframe that he's being told as well at this point.
    GenericMessage

I wonder if this can turn into another one of our, what, 4 MASSIVE threads about 2.1 lol

Verizon already said that they would release 2.2 prior to the release of the Droid X. They said that at the Droid X launch event...

i really hope we get froyo tomorrow
    GenericMessage

Quote Originally Posted by Ender0715 View Post
    Verizon already said that they would release 2.2 prior to the release of the Droid X. They said that at the Droid X launch event...
    They said that the Droid would get 2.2 before the X would get 2.2

Not before the X is launched.

If what you said is the case, we'd be getting it........now.

I don't believe that we will be getting it tomorrow. Just seems like not enough news or leaks or anything.....2.1 dragged on forever, seems odd......
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Time will tell. I'm not going to get all worked up over this. It will come when it comes, and not sooner.

anyone holding their breath??????

If we were, more than half of the Android Central community would be dead.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter217 View Post
    If we were, more than half of the Android Central community would be dead.....
    Exactly.. thats why we root and breathe

Idk, it may not happen tomorrow. Front page says the Eris is getting updated on the 16th. Wouldn't we have heard something about the Droid (leaked or otherwise) by now, too?

ROM
    Something new!

Maybe big red is keeping really quite about this one due to all of the miscues about 2.1. I still don't think it will be until September, but if they get it to me before then, I will be happy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast