Moving to Canada

theproman23

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I am going to moving to Vancouver in the next month or so and will be spending about 3 years there working. I currently own a Motorola Droid. My questions are:

A. Any recommendation on what network to use when I am in Canada?

B. Can I use my current Motorola Droid or other Verizon phones on the networks in Canada?

C. Are there any phones anyone knows of on the Canadian networks that are comparable to the Motorola Droid and all it's goodness?

Thanks in advance!!

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
b. I don't think the major carriers there offer 3g cdma, and even if they did, your phone would need to be flashed with their networks.

c. Telus has the Motorola Milestone (droid1, but with locked bootloader). I know that all the major carriers have some android devices. If they still had them, I woulda suggested a Nexus One. The ATT band one is compatible with some Canadian 3g networks (at least bell)

GlitchZero

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Well I am going to moving to Vancouver in the next month or so and will be spending about 3 years there working. I currently own a Motorola Droid. My questions are:

A. Any recommendation on what network to use when I am in Canada?

Telus. Rogers likes to overbill, Bell is a sinking ship.

B. Can I use my current Motorola Droid or other Verizon phones on the networks in Canada?

No. Telus and Bell both manage a 3G CDMA (EV-DO) network, but you'd need to flash your Droid to their networks, and 98% of the time they will not allow Verizon phones.

C. Are there any phones anyone knows of on the Canadian networks that are comparable to the Motorola Droid and all it's goodness?

Motorola Milestone. Droid with a locked bootloader on a 3G+ HSPA+ network. (Telus) Telus is also getting the HTC Desire. Rogers has the...Magic? I don't know. I know Telus has the Moto Milestone, HTC Dream and the Moto Backflip. Bell has the HTC Legend, the Moto Dext (what a stupid name), and the Samsung Galaxy.

Now I'm not saying all these devices compare to the Droid, I'm just letting you know what's there. Android is nowhere near as popular here in Canada as it is in the US, which leaves us with less selection. (Is it REALLY that hard to send up a Droid X or Incredible with a GSM slot?!)

To be completely honest though, I would pick Telus. Rogers are crooks and anyone who grew up here in the 90's has about $50,000 worth of reasons not to trust Bell.

To the ^^^ post above, the T-Mobile banded Nexus One was compatible with WIND, (who has such a small service area, don't bother unless you're moving to Toronto) and the AT&T banded (I think it's bands 2 and 5) Nexus One was compatible with obviously Rogers HSPA network, as well as Bell and Telus' 3G+ HSPA+ networks.

Last edited:

theproman23

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Telus. Rogers likes to overbill, Bell is a sinking ship.

No. Telus and Bell both manage a 3G CDMA (EV-DO) network, but you'd need to flash your Droid to their networks, and 98% of the time they will not allow Verizon phones.

Motorola Milestone. Droid with a locked bootloader on a 3G+ HSPA+ network. (Telus) Telus is also getting the HTC Desire. Rogers has the...Magic? I don't know. I know Telus has the Moto Milestone, HTC Dream and the Moto Backflip. Bell has the HTC Legend, the Moto Dext (what a stupid name), and the Samsung Galaxy.

Now I'm not saying all these devices compare to the Droid, I'm just letting you know what's there. Android is nowhere near as popular here in Canada as it is in the US, which leaves us with less selection. (Is it REALLY that hard to send up a Droid X or Incredible with a GSM slot?!)

To be completely honest though, I would pick Telus. Rogers are crooks and anyone who grew up here in the 90's has about $50,000 worth of reasons not to trust Bell.

To the ^^^ post above, the T-Mobile banded Nexus One was compatible with WIND, (who has such a small service area, don't bother unless you're moving to Toronto) and the AT&T banded (I think it's bands 2 and 5) Nexus One was compatible with obviously Rogers HSPA network, as well as Bell and Telus' 3G+ HSPA+ networks.

Wow thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it. I might be jumping ship and going for the Iphone 4 on Telus when I make the move there. Any thoughts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance