Droid: Too late or just right?

Tacota

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I just broke my old phone the other day. I have never had anything more than a flip phone, just haven't really cared for more. I really want to give smartphones/android a try though.

I was wondering, since the Droids seemed to be discontinued, would that make it a bad idea to get one? Or almost a good idea due to the fact that If i ever needed a replacement, I might would get an upgrade if i waited long enough? I can't really get anything above a Droid due to prices(1 yr contract only)... Getting a droid is even pushing it.

Also, I am not sure that I would get into the tech side of things, rooting, etc and probably won't take FULL advantage of what the phone can do... So would the cheaper LG Ally be a better choice for me? I have to have a physical keyboard. Or, is it one of those things that once I get my phone I will want to use everything it offers and mess around with it and wish I had the Droid since I've heard that the Ally doesn't always keep up.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
One other thing to consider...

You sound like someone who keeps a phone for 4 years or longer. Even the fanciest phone works out to only $4 a month for you.

Go check them all out. Pick the one you like whether it is $2 or $200. Life is short.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The Droid is still as viable as ever. You can customize the hell out of it, it still gets all the updates you need from motorla/verizon and it's rock solid. I've had mine for quite awhile now and it performs as good as ever. Especially if you root, then oh my the possibilities really open up as to what this phone can do. I still hear of people buying new droids all the time, Motorola & Verizon hit a home run and then some with this beast.

There are tons of options out there, go to your local store and play with all of them and see which one you like best. :)

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I just broke my old phone the other day. I have never had anything more than a flip phone, just haven't really cared for more. I really want to give smartphones/android a try though.

I was wondering, since the Droids seemed to be discontinued, would that make it a bad idea to get one? Or almost a good idea due to the fact that If i ever needed a replacement, I might would get an upgrade if i waited long enough? I can't really get anything above a Droid due to prices(1 yr contract only)... Getting a droid is even pushing it.

Also, I am not sure that I would get into the tech side of things, rooting, etc and probably won't take FULL advantage of what the phone can do... So would the cheaper LG Ally be a better choice for me? I have to have a physical keyboard. Or, is it one of those things that once I get my phone I will want to use everything it offers and mess around with it and wish I had the Droid since I've heard that the Ally doesn't always keep up.

I would say it's a good idea to get the droid, but it sounds like the ally is a better solution for you. The ally is not slow and actually benchmarks better then the stock droid. The ally has a bad launcher so if you do get it just download ADW or LauncherPro and you will not experience that complaint that you have heard. One thing you can also consider doing is looking on craigslist/ebay, I just got my girl a droid eris for $25 last week. People do not know they are holding a small laptop in their hands when they have these phones. Hope this helps

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the Droid, wife and daughter each have Ally's. Both are great phones. Read other threads for comparison, the Ally has a section under Other Android Devices...

impaler

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
I just got a Droid and dumped the iPhone and I couldn't be happier. It was $149 for a 2-year contract (realize you're looking at one year). I really wanted a new phone, not a used one...but just doing a cursory search on Craigslist, people were selling them like crazy--I suppose many want the X. I love stock Android, and think it's the perfect size, and since I knew they were being EOLd, now was the time, before it would be near impossible to get one from Verizon later. I think the Droid more than suits my needs--but then again, I don't always have to have the latest. Chasing that game in the Android world will frustrate you to no end.

Like others have said, try them out and get what works for you. I encourage you to check out the Eris, the Droid X and other Android phones first. :cool:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The original Droid is the one device that I have regretted not owning. If I could go back, I would have gotten the Droid instead of the iphone 3GS. Now that the phone is getting Froyo, it should be relevant for at least til the end of the year or whenever Gingerbread is released. That's saying a lot in the smartphone world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2