Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

Default Bad To Leave Screen On All Night, Every Night?

Hey all,
    Loving my Droid, and went ahead and got the multimedia dock. I'm thinking about replacing my alarm clock with the phone, and just dropping it in the dock at night. Love the alarm clock function. My question, though, is, does the screen stay on ALL NIGHT when in the dock? If so, is this bad for the device, the screen, etc? I realize burn-in isn't an issue, but will I seriously reduce the life of the Droid if I use it in the multimedia dock at night, rather than put it on the standard AC charger? THanks.

I've kept mine in the dock since i got it in December and have seen no bad effects so far. I'm running a 2.2 rom so after a few minutes it starts a screensaver.
    Motorola Droid2
    Thanked by:
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,029 Global Posts

Im running stock 2.1 and leave mine on all night every night. No problems so far since Jan 7th.
    GenericMessage

These things are like any other screens, they can be used for thousands of hours without running the risk of burn-in.

But, in the event of burn-in, you can always fix it by having a all black screen on to wipe it clean.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMessage View Post
    These things are like any other screens, they can be used for thousands of hours without running the risk of burn-in.

But, in the event of burn-in, you can always fix it by having a all black screen on to wipe it clean.
    Yeah, my question wasn't related to burn-in, as I mentioned in OP. I am not concerned about that, since it's LCD. I'm more concerned about wear and tear, the phone getting hot, dead pixels, etc., as a result of keeping it on the multimedia dock all night.
    GenericMessage

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    Yeah, my question wasn't related to burn-in, as I mentioned in OP. I am not concerned about that, since it's LCD. I'm more concerned about wear and tear, the phone getting hot, dead pixels, etc., as a result of keeping it on the multimedia dock all night.

Then just turn the screen off...........

Not like you need to look at it in your sleep

+1. You can:

1. Worry about it.
    2. Not worry about it.
    3. Turn the screen off since you're sleeping anyway and not worry about it.

The alarm works just fine with the screen off (how I use it). How long do you intend to keep the Droid for anyway? You're likely to replace it before "wear" is an issue.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

Does the screen turn itself off after a while on it's own?
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    Does the screen turn itself off after a while on it's own?
    It depends on what setting you have it on. If you have it set to never sleep while plugged in, then no it won't turn off automatically, you'll have to turn it off yourself
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

You probably won't own the phone long enough for it to matter. I use mine as an alarm clock with the multimedia dock. You can dim the screen and it goes into a screensaver type mode with a clock that bounces around the screen.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

No, it'll be fine. LCDs backlit with LED (such as the Droid) don't suffer from the lifetime dimming that occurs with CFL backlighting.