Verizon says Droid doesnt have hardware for mobile hotspot

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm not rooted, so I'm just trying to understand. When you tether, now, over wi-fi, does the Droid show up like a router would, or do you have to manually connect to it? Could the difference be that it doesn't broadcast like a hotspot? Or does it?

G

GenericMessage

Probably not a hardware system in place that can easily monitor traffic to charge people for it.

Its all about the money

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
"Android-Wifi-Tether works in ad-hoc only. The tethering in Froyo does AP mode only. The TI WL1271 chipset doesn't do AP mode. This is TI's fault as they haven't released a firmware that enables it."

Crw1229

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So would it be right to Root my Droid to gain that feature? Or just give into what Verizon wants like a Zombie and buy a different phone with an updated version of 2.2 to get it? I'm soooo indecisive on this one bcuz if I root my Droid I still want a back up you know?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
^^ That would explain why the built-in mobile hotspot feature never worked on the leaked Froyo builds. It definitely supports USB tether perfectly though.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
^^ That would explain why the built-in mobile hotspot feature never worked on the leaked Froyo builds. It definitely supports USB tether perfectly though.

It actually worked in a couple of releases, but kept directing users to a VZ page telling them to sign up for a tethering package.

Gee223

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I take as a cloaked way of saying tethering for free is "ok". We all (including Verizon) know that it can work just fine, and that we don't really NEED to pay more for this to work. If they made sure it was an available option quite a few customers would actually shell out for it, but now they have no choice but to go the cheap way. Also people who don't know about the cheap of free methods might spend more on a higher end device just so they can pay for a feature that is "not available on lower end models". I paid for tethering on my crackberry before I realized I could pay a small one time fee and use my unlimited data (first smart phone, though the 9530 isn't that smart!).

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not on the side of the carrier here but the more data you use then the more bandwidth you suck up and that means less for everyone else. This just means that the more that people abuse the unlimited data package and don't pay for tethering then the faster vzw will move to tiered data packages and do away with the unlimited plans. They mean unlimited for your phone not your laptop and whatever other devices you want to use it with. So don't abuse it I like my unlimited data package.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I just tried the USB tether and it worked without redirection to the VZW site. Anyone especially get the same resaults?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm not on the side of the carrier here but the more data you use then the more bandwidth you suck up and that means less for everyone else. This just means that the more that people abuse the unlimited data package and don't pay for tethering then the faster vzw will move to tiered data packages and do away with the unlimited plans. They mean unlimited for your phone not your laptop and whatever other devices you want to use it with. So don't abuse it I like my unlimited data package.

I see your point. I don't tether with my Droid its not because of screwing everyone else over. Its not because I fear the tiered data plan. I pay vzw enough that hey ill use my data up to my cap how I choose. I don't tether because its just to slow if I can't stream a video over YouTube without constant buffering on my phone. Imagine the situation when I have my computer using the same network

abocornwall

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
only problem is usb tethering doesn't work on mac (says verizon) and the main reason i wanted 2.2 was to tether my ps3 but i guess i can share the connection via airport but wait no usb tether on mac so i thought well what about pdanet but no pdanet can only be shared over ethernet but the computers in my house are no where near the ps3. I don't know i just thought it would be cool. I have wifi in my house it would just be nice when I'm out of town with the slow crappy hotel internet (i travel a lot)

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Just Root and use wireless tether. Its honestly not risky at all. So many forums offer support that you cant go wrong. and you'll get so much out of your droid.
I have mine rooted and overclocked to 1GHz with an ultralow voltage kernel that give me far superior battery life to stock. And i can run all of the superuser apps and get a fully functioning device. Honestly the difference between rooted and unrooted is night and day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo