Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Ending calls with Froyo (Proximity sensor)

    Anyone having issues with the phones proximity sensor being a lot more sensitive? Ever since I upgraded to Froyo when I hold my phone at my ear with my shoulder I am hanging up on people. This never happened before the update. The sensor still works, but it doesn't work the same. I never hung up on people before this way. Is there a sensitivity setting for the sensor? Anyone seeing the same thing? Thanks.
  2. #2  

    Default

    I'm having the same problem. I don't actually get to hang up on people but I do know I'm touching something because it vibrates everytime my face touches a button on the screen. I agree with you in that I've never had that problem before. I hope it's fixed with FRG22.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    There is definitely some sort of change. I have noticed that the sensor works fine when the phone is held vertical, but as it gets leaned more horizontal it doesn't work as well. This was never a problem before. When I am driving and try to hold the phone with my shoulder to write something I have been hanging up on people or pressing buttons.
  4. #4  
    Dubbin1's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwhite12200 View Post
    When I am driving and try to hold the phone with my shoulder to write something I have been hanging up on people or pressing buttons.
    LOL that sounds good and safe
  5. #5  

    Default

    hey guys look up "phone tools" in the market then install the one that comes up on top of the list it's my lifesaver app
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwhite12200 View Post
    There is definitely some sort of change. I have noticed that the sensor works fine when the phone is held vertical, but as it gets leaned more horizontal it doesn't work as well. This was never a problem before. When I am driving and try to hold the phone with my shoulder to write something I have been hanging up on people or pressing buttons.
    I just tried this and can confirm the same thing. The sensor works when the phone is held vertically but when you tilt it back as if to hold with your shoulder or lay it on a table the screen comes back on even while still blocking the sensor. Seems to be tied in with the accelerometer.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    I did some more testing with my wifes Droid that is still running 2.1 and there is definitely a big difference in how the sensor reacts. I hope that this is something that gets corrected. It is very annoying.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Same thing with me. Luckily I haven't disconnected anyone yet.
  9. #9  
    CharlieL3's Avatar
    What does this button d

    Posts
    203 Posts

    Default

    I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons FroYo was stopped by VZW, and I hope it will be fixed when they start pushing the new version out.
  10. #10  
    Dirrk's Avatar

    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

    Default

    Two comments,
    1. I have had froyo for almost 2 months, I have the same issue after I just tested it. I have never hung up or hit a button so it is not affecting me.

    2. How often are you holding you phone on your shoulder..? If this is a real issue for you then you might want to get a headset because in all reality phones aren't perfect and MOST people do not talk on the phone that way.
    Google Plus+
    Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Charge
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirrk View Post
    Two comments,
    1. I have had froyo for almost 2 months, I have the same issue after I just tested it. I have never hung up or hit a button so it is not affecting me.

    2. How often are you holding you phone on your shoulder..? If this is a real issue for you then you might want to get a headset because in all reality phones aren't perfect and MOST people do not talk on the phone that way.
    To respond to this I think that it is a very natural thing to hold your phone between your ear and shoulder. I think most people run into situations where they have theirs hands full and need to do a simple task such as get keys out of pocket while holding briefcase or something of that nature. This requires you to hold the phone in a way you might not do "a lot" but enough that it could be a issue. It is not something that is done for long periods of time, but even if you just hold it there for 15 seconds there are issues. If the screen does not turn off when it is held that way you will always run the risk of hitting end call or possibly brining up number pad and hitting numbers. I know that not all phones are perfect, but I have had no complaints regarding my Droid until this update. This is the only thing that I have noticed since the upgrade. Something was definitely changed regarding how the proximity sensor reacts. This was never an issue with 2.1.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirrk View Post
    Two comments,
    1. I have had froyo for almost 2 months, I have the same issue after I just tested it. I have never hung up or hit a button so it is not affecting me.

    2. How often are you holding you phone on your shoulder..? If this is a real issue for you then you might want to get a headset because in all reality phones aren't perfect and MOST people do not talk on the phone that way.
    For your second comment I think you're wrong. I hold the phone on my shoulder a couple of times a week. The fact of the matter is that there is a bug with the proximity sensor and its not working the way it should. Just because they released an update I'm suppose to change the way I hold my phone? This case sounds familiar doesn't it? (IPhone lol) If the sensor senses my big head while on a call it should not turn the screen on, no matter the angle the phone is held.
  13. #13  
    Dirrk's Avatar

    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyRogue View Post
    For your second comment I think you're wrong. I hold the phone on my shoulder a couple of times a week. The fact of the matter is that there is a bug with the proximity sensor and its not working the way it should. Just because they released an update I'm suppose to change the way I hold my phone? This case sounds familiar doesn't it? (IPhone lol) If the sensor senses my big head while on a call it should not turn the screen on, no matter the angle the phone is held.
    Maybe you haven't realized this, but the proximity sensor was broken in 2.1, I have customers complain ALL the time that it comes back to quickly or not at all. And again, if your holding the phone like this on such frequent occasions, I would suggest getting a headset. I am not saying hold your phone differently, I am saying HOLD your phone. But I understand everyone has practical uses for using their shoulder to hold a phone from time to time. The point I am making is no one walks around with their phone on their shoulders all day. I would say, in general, more people are going to be pleased that its fixed.
    Google Plus+
    Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Charge
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirrk View Post
    Maybe you haven't realized this, but the proximity sensor was broken in 2.1, I have customers complain ALL the time that it comes back to quickly or not at all. And again, if your holding the phone like this on such frequent occasions, I would suggest getting a headset. I am not saying hold your phone differently, I am saying HOLD your phone. But I understand everyone has practical uses for using their shoulder to hold a phone from time to time. The point I am making is no one walks around with their phone on their shoulders all day. I would say, in general, more people are going to be pleased that its fixed.
    Does it really matter if it was broken or not. It should not matter what position the phone is in... if there is something withing 2 inches or whatever the sensor is set too the screen should turn off. There shouldn't be any conceren to the angle or position of the phone. If there is an object that close to the screen IE: the side of your head it should be off. There are other times that the phone might not be in a vertical position when talking on the phone. What about laying in bed holding your phone. If the phone is at too much of an angle backwards or flat the screen will not turn off even if your hand is completely covering the screen. This is not right in my opinion. What purpose does it serve to have any correlation to angle or postion of the phone?
  15. #15  
    rich67's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

    Default

    From what I recall of this issue with the 2.1, it's not actually hanging up on the call, it is MUTING the call. Since I upgraded to 2.2, it happens whenever I shift the phone around and use the 'ol "shoulder hold". The caller is still on the line, but they can't hear me. I have found that hitting the "back" button puts me back in talking mode and all is well. It is definitely a problem with Froyo, because I never had this issue with 2.1. My phone isn't rooted, and I noticed it started up as soon as I upgraded.
    There are some apps on the market that lock the screen during calls, but they are a pain to use regularly. I have my phone unlocked (so it doesn't require security after coming back active from standby), and I like it that way...adding one of those screen lock apps would irritate me almost as much as the muting issue, I think..lol
  16. #16  

    Default

    Yes, Im definitely having the same problem. I just noticed it tonight. I was talking on the phone, holding it to my ear with my shoulder, and I accidentally hung up 3 times. Never happened before my Froyo update.
  17. #17  

    Default

    I am glad that I read this post. I just bought myself the droid x and gave my wife my rooted droid with 2.2. I have tried several versions of 2.2 and she keeps having trouble while on phone calls. As much as I hate it, she almost always talks on the phone squished between her check and her shoulder.

    I was about ready to get her the d2. When I get home this afternoon I will put 2.1 back on her phone and see if that fixes her issue. I hope so. She doesn't understand or care about froyo anyways.

Posting Permissions