Froyo Text -- Phone Number Help

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I just got Froyo on my Driod. For the most part, it is quite nice. I did discover, however, one item that makes things more difficult (not easier) and hope someone out there could point me to a setting to change this.

Let's say I am texting John Smith and in my contact list, John has a Home Phone, Business Phone and a Mobile Phone. On a new text to John Smith, Android 2.1 would automatically select and present the mobile phone number from the contacts list as I type John Sm... Froyo, however, presents all three numbers. I have to know which number is mobile and then select that number.

Is there a way to tell the system to always use the mobile number as the "text to" number?

Thanks in advance.

Vizsla Buddy

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
In 2.1 there was a way to highlight a telephone number or an email address and use it as the default. I've just gone through the Contacts app looking for a way to do that. The ones that I marked in 2.1 are still marked as default, but i can't find a way to do it in 2.2.

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else? There has to be a solution to this because otherwise you have to look up someone's contact and determine what their cell number is (vs the other numbers). This is especially difficult if you want to text to multiple people at once. I find it hard to believe Google would get this one wrong (who would want to text to a business fax anyway???).

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I answered my own question here. I usually use the soft keyboard in landscape mode when texting. If you do a "New Text Message" and start typing in the name, it presents the persons numbers in a in a ticker tape format between the message and the keyboard without any indication of which number is which.

However, in portrait format it presents the name and numbers and indicates which is which. This will do fine.

I am not sure I like presenting all the all the numbers, but I can think through use cases where it might make sense.

Such is life. For the most part, I like Froyo.

skapp02

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Any one find a way to default to just mobile numbers? This is annoying that it isn't the same as it was in 2.1. And of course Verizon has the whole text to land line system where it calls the land line and speaks your text. Got hosed by that a few times now!

seanubis

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
If you press and hold a phone number while viewing a contact, you'll get a popup with choices for "Call contact", "Text contact", and "Make default number". I think that last option is what you're looking for, right?

Kind of a pain, since you would need to do it for each individual contact, but there you go.

Edit: never mind, that setting seems to have no effect when composing a new text message :\

I also found that you can press and hold a contact in the contact list, select "Text contact", and then set a default there, but again, that doesn't seem to affect the order of the numbers that appear when composing a message. It *does* stick for the next time you start a message via "Text contact".

Last edited: