moving to faster SD card

hiway12

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I've got a faster 16GB MicroSD card than the one that came with my Droid. can I put the current card in a reader and download everything and then copy to the new card or will I miss something? Is there a better or built-in method?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the class rating are supposed to translate into a speed rating (the higher the class, the faster the card, in theory)

i hear it's not very well standardized as some "better" class 4 cards can be faster than a cheap class 6.

but that's the idea behind class at least

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
the class rating are supposed to translate into a speed rating (the higher the class, the faster the card, in theory)

i hear it's not very well standardized as some "better" class 4 cards can be faster than a cheap class 6.

but that's the idea behind class at least

I've read that too.

It was supposed to be:

Class 2 = 2MB/Sec. Transfer Speed
Class 4 = 4MB/Sec. Transfer Speed
Class 6 = 6MB/Sec. Transfer Speed

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
a bit, but unless you're constantly doing it, it doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for having to buy a new card of the same capacity.

it could help with videos, but with music or pictures, the burst rate of usb should be giving you almost the same rates in general since mp3's and pictures are fairly small files on their own...

that being said, i
1. don't have the same value system as whoever is buying the card, and if you want to buy it, all the more power to you.

and

2. would buy the fastest card if i was buying one (ie if i went to buy a 32gb card for some reason i would buy a class 6)

:)

darkstar

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
as it turns out.. the class 6 card is cheaper than the class 4.. go figure. i had one laying around because i bought it for an HTC Imagio (which i returned promptly)...

sudermatt

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
I was curious about this and just loaded up a class 6 card.

The time between pictures is markedly faster. I think the earlier reported 1 second faster is pretty close...going between 3-2 sec. to 1.5 - 1 sec is noticeable.

I am planning on having two cards....my big dog 16 for holding my movies on trips and stuff and my daily 8.

jbharman45

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Try watching a movie with the two different cards and you can very quickly see the difference between a class 2 and a class 6 microSD card. That is the place where I see the most difference. Maybe I am just seeing what I want to see, but to me it seems like the faster card gives me better battery life too when I am playing video or listening to 256 bit VBR audio files. Anyway, that's how it seems to me. I discovered this with the Storm and have found the same on the Droid.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Just my 2 cents but I do not think it's worth it to actively pursue buying a new sdcard. If u have one sitting around then sure. IMO You will not find much performance gain in most if not all of what you do with your phone.

jms67

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Sort of off topic, but has anyone had any luck with a decent 32gb card? I haven't had much luck finding one yet.