1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default Poor wifi signal after manual froyo update

Hello, I am new to the forum so I hope I provide adequate information. I manually updated to android version 2.2. Everything is running good so far even the flash player with the exception of my wifi. Prior to the update I typically had 2 or 3 bars on the wifi meter in my house, but now I have zero bars even when sitting next to the router.

Model number: Droid
    Android version: 2.2
    Baseband version: C_01.43.01P
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848android-build@apa26#1
    Build number: FRG01B

I have performed several reboots and battery pulls. I also tried removing the battery and waiting several hours to use the phone with no luck.

I reinstalled the larger 76mb froyo version, performed several reboots, and battery pulls. I downloaded wifi analyzer. My network and my neighbors networks are showing up, they cycle from a good signal to a bad signal. My network is ranging from approximately -50-60 dBm to -100 dBm every few seconds. I am even more confused; I ran a speed test and my download was much improved ~1.5-2 Mbps (2.1) vs. 2.81-5.32 Mbps (2.2), but then I could not get it to even test (-0.00 Mbps).

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9-RC1, Stock

Have you tried either or both of the following:

1) Remove the WiFi connection from your settings on the device; add it again.
    2) Reset your router.
    Sweet Nexus Bliss.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I tried this after both updates with no luck.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I performed a factory reset then a hard reset without any luck. My wifi is still not functional. My only hope is that the next update will fix the problem or I will be able to swap phones if it continues not to function properly.

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9-RC1, Stock

That's just odd... Maybe try rolling back to 2.1 and upgrade again?
    Sweet Nexus Bliss.

I experience this same thing.. data will just stop but the connection to the router remains.

I'll be 5 feet away from an N router, full 5 bars, data works one sec and bam, it'll stop.

If I turn WIFI off then back on, it'll work again.. this only started happening with 2.2
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9-RC1, Stock

@sniffs, I get that too, but I think the OP has a different issue (or I can't read right). I think you and I get the problem where we've got plenty of signal, just no throughput. I think the OP just has no signal where he should.
    Sweet Nexus Bliss.

Haha.. guess I should learn to read.

sorry for the threadjack.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

No signal or wifi problems here with 2.2. I have found in the past the DROID is sensitive to channel selections. If I config my router to use ch1 it fails.

Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    No signal or wifi problems here with 2.2. I have found in the past the DROID is sensitive to channel selections. If I config my router to use ch1 it fails.
    No problems here either w/ Froyo.

The free "Wifi Analyzer" app can be helpful in selecting the best channel.

I have had real problems with Froyo on a Droid. I called Verizon service and they sent a new phone which has no wifi problem. So, a combination of fray and some Droids don't work. Give Vz a call