Can I tighten the battery cover??

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Long story short is I'm on my second Droid in 3 days. The first one had a funny "hissing" noise in the speaker and my wife's did not so I exchanged it.

I've only had this one for a few hours now, but have noticed that the battery cover is pretty easy open... so easy that it keeps falling off when I'm talking on the phone. It's getting annoying very quickly and I'd rather not have this issue for the next two years.

...but I'd also rather not exchange the phone for a 3rd one and maybe get worse problems and annoy the Best Buy guys any further as I've already done two price matches and an exchange, lol.

Is there anyway I can tighten the battery cover or am I SOL and heading for yet another exchange???

Thanks. :)

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine doesn't loosen while I'm on the phone, but it does click out when I take my phone out of my pocket sometimes. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse since I've already had one time where I pulled it out and the batt door cover fell off. I luckily heard it hit the ground. If I were at a bar or something I might not have noticed it until it was stepped on or lost....

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
crazy...

The thing is my first Droid's cover was rock solid and a pain to take off... and my wife's Droid is the same and I even cut my finger trying to get her battery cover off it was on so tight.

I guess I'll have to exchange it then as I refuse to put up with this for the life of my contract.

R

Roy Aguilera

You can always get a replacement cover from Verizon later if you need one. If I recall they are under ten bucks.

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
replacement cover won't work as I tried using my Wife's cover and it's just a loose, so it's more of an internal "latch" issue vs the cover. I was just wondering if there was a screw or something I could tweak inside the phone to make it tighter.

I can try to bend it, but would rather not risk being told I damaged it and that's why it doesn't work... might mess up an exchange.

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just finished my 2nd exchage (so now I'm on Droid #3)...

I was lucky to have a very kind Best Buy rep as she opened EVERY Droid box they had while we searched for another tight battery cover.

It seems like 99% of them had loose or weak covers so for anyone buying a new one, make sure you're OK with how the battery cover is before you let them activate it.

Not sure if it was just a bad batch in my area or if it's a common problem, but just an FYI.

The way I feel the covers should be are like my first phone and my wife's current... it takes two thumbs and a bunch of force to slide the cover open. My replacement isn't nearly that bad, but at least I can't open it by sneezing and I require at least two fingers to open it now. :)

Last edited:
R

Roy Aguilera

Just finished my 2nd exchage (so now I'm not Droid #3)...

I was lucky to have a very kind Best Buy rep as she opened EVERY Droid box they had while we searched for another tight battery cover.

It seems like 99% of them had loose or weak covers so for anyone buying a new one, make sure you're OK with how the battery cover is before you let them activate it.

Not sure if it was just a bad batch in my area or if it's a common problem, but just an FYI.

The way I feel the covers should be are like my first phone and my wife's current... it takes two thumbs and a bunch of force to slide the cover open. My replacement isn't nearly that bad, but at least I can't open it by sneezing and I require at least two fingers to open it now. :)

Nice. Glad you got it fixed.

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just messed with mine. It's tight with no play. Maybe the reps are messing them up by not taking them off right???

I don't think that's the case... I watched her open up new boxes with no batteries installed and hand them directly to me at which point I would try to slid it open only to see that it could be done by a mouse sneeze.

Like I said the first phone I got was rock solid and my wife's phone is solid as well.. but as we went through all the phones at the store they were VERY easy to open. She said that all the phones she had sold were similar too so it seems like it's a bad shipment.

...and I'm probably a bit anal about it, but I just feel a mobile device shouldn't have a battery cover that can slip off in your pocket.

JonnyCerv#AC

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Battery Door

Not sure if many are having this problem....but I have my droid naked. Use the holster belt-clip. Not sure what they were thinking, but that stinkin' battery door popped off 3 times in the last two days. Luckily I heard it hit the ground!!

Ended up putting half a business card over the battery and that seemed to solve my problem. Anyone else? Seems like they should have caught this in testing!?!?!?!?

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I thought about placing a card inside the cover to make it tighter, but then I was worried about changing the thermal dynamics of the battery cooling.... probably over thought that one. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21