Looking for Exchange Tutorial

Schmoozer#AC

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
So I've been lurking for a little bit, most of the discussion about exchange seems to either be about does it work on the Droid or over my head.

So I'm going to ask the question, bear with me if it's a little long. I work at a small plant for a global company. I know for certain two (2) people at another (larger) plant are able to receive their e-mail via their BBs (not setup by IS). Which doesn't make any sense to me. For me to check my work e-mail at home, I have to go to a special website, log in, and even then I can't view attachments (this is without a VPN). According to both of them, the setup up was "super easy."

So I was thinking: "Awesome, I have a smart phone now, I can do that too." Thinking that everybody in this global company uses the same exchange server in Europe.

So, I go to set it up. My Droid asks me for my email and password. No problem: 'myname@mycompany.com' and 'mypassword'. Then I'm asked, POP3 IMAP or Exchange, obviously, I choose exchange. Then it asks for domain\username so I put 'mydomain\myname' . 'mypassword' is copied from the previous input, cool.

Alright this is were I think my problem is. It asks for "Exchange Server" , the automatic entry is "mycompany.com" . I don't think that's right, so I copied the one from my Outlook account at work: "mailsvr03.mydomain.######.###### .

Turns out neither works, the account is created on the Driod but it just constantly 'refreshes' (hours) even though I only have it set to download today's e-mail.

So I guess my question is: Am I doing something wrong? Could the exchange server be setup differently for people at this other plant? Or is the Droid just not capable of this?

I didn't get the Droid for work, and I'm thrilled with it so far, this would just be a nice perk.

Thanks in advance Droid gurus!

Last edited:

jdaly

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
You may need to go through a proxy server. I would look into that. If that's the case, just put in the proxy server rather than "mailsvr..."

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Exchange ActiveSync (what your mobile taps into) is not the same address as your desktop Outlook. You need to talk to your Exchange Admin to get that address.

ericjay

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
You mentioned that you can go to a website to check mail from home, right? Does that connect you to Outlook Web Access (OWA)?

If so, try using the OWA web address. Make sure you log in to OWA first (the address for the login screen may be different than the actual mail server's address), and then look in your browser's address bar. You will probably see something like: https://something.example.com/exchange/. Try entering just what comes before /exchange in your Droid's e-mail setup as the Exchange server.

Schmoozer#AC

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
You mentioned that you can go to a website to check mail from home, right? Does that connect you to Outlook Web Access (OWA)?

If so, try using the OWA web address. Make sure you log in to OWA first (the address for the login screen may be different than the actual mail server's address), and then look in your browser's address bar. You will probably see something like: https://something.example.com/exchange/. Try entering just what comes before /exchange in your Droid's e-mail setup as the Exchange server.

Yes it is OWA, I seem to have lost the e-mail that I had it saved in. I'll get it from work and try that. Thanks!

tyler0630

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
you need to select the $44.99 data plan from Verizon which allows unlim email & data plus exchange sync. you can do this from the My Verizon app in the market. That's what I had to do for my plan it it works.

To me it is worth the extra $15/month ( 50 cents a day) for my calendar, contacts, email sync. works great.

tealturboser

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
No you dont need to have the $45 plan. I dont have it and my exchange works just fine.

For the OP, I used the settings that we use to log into OWA and it works fine. My email, contacts and calendar are all synced up

Schmoozer#AC

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Turns it was super easy. I also seem to know just enough to make something not work. Thanks ericjay!

curt and tyler, I have no idea about either case, but I know when I signed up for my new Verizon contract with my Droid last weekend my only choices were unlimited data or unlimited data and text messages. So it turns out to be a moot point for me.

brute force

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
we have some members here saying they have solution. can we post exact solution for the users that are having trouble. i can tell you i thoought i have it right and i obviously dont. lets share the solution. thanks

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have OWA access for my email as well, but can't seem to get it to work.

I'm a noob when it comes to exchange, can we get a step by step guide for this?? thanks! :D

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
The reason that the BB guys are getting their mail is because they're using desktop redirector. BB has a program that's part of its desktop software that redirects outlook mail to the BB and back.

I've been told that HTC sync works the same way with android, but I won't have my droid until next wednesday to find out.

Schmoozer#AC

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
we have some members here saying they have solution. can we post exact solution for the users that are having trouble. i can tell you i thoought i have it right and i obviously dont. lets share the solution. thanks

Basically what ericjay said:

As I understand it, going into your outlook settings and looking for your exchange address is not the way to do it. You need a web address that allows you to access your e-mail outside of the network (not with a VPN). For me this was as simple as going to my company's intranet and searching for OWA. My username and password are the same and I set require SSL. That was it.

If I'm not being clear, let me know what I need to elaborate on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar