Eris to Droid

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had gone form the Eris to the Droid, and what your experience so far has been. I picked up the Eris and really love the OS of Android. It is definitely taking me a little bit to get used to the interface as I am coming from a Storm. lol But now that I have been using it, I am seriously considering moving up to the Droid. I guess I just don't want to be stuck with a phone that is not the top the day it is released. I love the HTC build quality, and that is probably one of my biggest concerns. I watched a video of a guy reviewing a case/holster combo and he appeared to baby the phone to death. I do not want to worry so much about the phone that it becomes an issue. I know the keyboard isnt the greatest, but as long as it is not breaking on me, I'm good with that. Again, I don't intend to throw the phone around, I just want to be assured that build quality is comparable to the Droid. Thanks for any input you guys can give me. Also, will I miss the Sense UI a lot?

Thanks.
O.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you'll have to worry too much with the build quality of the phone. Some people are just very quirky about the way they handle their phones (me lol). I haven't owned an Eris but the Droid doesn't feel cheap or delicate. I think you'd be happy with it if the build of the phone is what worries you.
I hope this helps. :D

csiguy1

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't worry about the keyboard, I rarely use it. The only time that I use the keyboard is when I surf the web and I need to click a small box and my fat fingers make it hard on the virtual keyboard.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
My wife has an Eris and loves it. It's her first smartphone, so that's part of the attraction, but she very much likes the Sense UI, the size of the display, and all of the features.

I have a Droid and love it as well, but could imagine being happy with an Eris, especially after it gets upgraded to Android 2.0. I don't have particularly large fingers, and I have no problem typing on the virtual keyboard (go to landscape mode for larger keys). It does take practice, but what doesn't? I have used the slide out keyboard a few times. It's OK, and I'm sure I would get even faster on it if I practiced, but I'm satisfied with the virtual keyboard for now. I don't type particularly long emails or notes.

LSkolnik

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
owned them both for the purpose of comparison. Eris is very nice. I love the form factor of the HTC devices, Eris included. However, the Droid is a beast! I returned the Eris today in fact, as my experiment is over. The Droid is just so fast, efficient, responsive, and that keyboard.... don't be fooled, I absolutely love having the ability to flip up the screen and type away on the keyboard. I use the GDE desktop app and have 7 screens to configure on the Droid. Lack of battery life and often times, significant lag times on the Eris did me in. Seems like the Droid just does everything better.

My 2 Cents

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
This is the issue that I am having right now. The battery that is. Picked the phone up Saturday and played with it incessantly over the weekend. Now that I am at work away from my charger, it is right after lunch and my battery is at about 15 percent. I have adjusted all the settings necessary in order to give me optimal batttery life. But this is a little crazy. I browsed th einternet for a total of about 30 minutes all morning, and have sent a dozen or so texts and 1 email. This has got to be a fluke, right? Even my ~gasp~ Storm 1 lasted me all day under the exact smae circumstances and wouldnt need to be charged until midnight. Is the Droid battery more efficient than this folks?

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I've been very impressed with the battery so far. I used it all day Friday with navigation, plenty of texting and emails, about an hour on the phone and had half battery at the end of the day. Didn't charge it, used it lightly on Saturday and finally charged at 5pm that night for a bit. Check wifi bluetooth and brightness as I think that will be your biggest battery killer.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
My Eris died at about three o'clock. I spent the last two hours at work with no phone. Seeing as how I figured I had nothing to lose, I printed the new Dell $119.99 ad and enter to Best Buy. They price matched, so I exchanged my Eris and got a Droid for just 20 more bucks. Made my damn day. And I love the Droid. Does everything better with battery to boot. I actually like the interface better than the sense ui. But that's just me. So it was a good evening for me. Thanks for all the info guys.

CSNova

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
My Eris died at about three o'clock. I spent the last two hours at work with no phone. Seeing as how I figured I had nothing to lose, I printed the new Dell $119.99 ad and enter to Best Buy. They price matched, so I exchanged my Eris and got a Droid for just 20 more bucks. Made my damn day. And I love the Droid. Does everything better with battery to boot. I actually like the interface better than the sense ui. But that's just me. So it was a good evening for me. Thanks for all the info guys.

Congratulations on the new Droid. I also switched from the Eris to the Droid. Great decision. Much happier, with the battery life especially.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I've been playing with it all morning and I havent even used 25% of the battery. This time yesterday I was below 40%. Definitely loving it. :)

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I've been playing with it all morning and I havent even used 25% of the battery. This time yesterday I was below 40%. Definitely loving it. :)

Congrats on your new love. That said I own both devices and it took four "complete-drain-charge" cycles before the Eris caught up with the Droids battery life. I know its history for now, but I strongly recommend you do that process with the Droid battery to enjoy it more. I swap ESN's every other day between Eris and the Droid :rolleyes: love them both ;)
PS: with Li-Po batteries you can charge them anytime as long as you DONOT let them get to 0%. There is NO memory effect with these batteries.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Definitely good info equus. I really liked the Eris, but I was looking for a good excuse to get the Droid. And with the price match, it was all the push I needed. I have to say though, I definitely like the capabilities of the Droid better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37