1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Motorola Droid: Looking For Tips On The Following

i came from a blackberry and there are certain things that i need my phone to do which the blackberry seems to do with no problem. the droid, however, seems to be having a problem with it or i haven't figured out how to make things work.

1. i need my yahoo email and i need it work. i have seen and set up my yahoo mails using that guide floating around but it seems to have stopped working. it would pull the initial email batch, but any subsequent time i try to refresh for new email, all i get is "connection error." i didn't change anything. somehow it was able to get the email when i set it up but it couldn't after that. it also wouldn't send my email out. since my default is a yahoo email account, i'm guessing that's tied to that.

2. i can't choose which email account i can send email from. someone suggested open up the menu button when composing (which i have tried even before asking that) and nothing in there indicates changing accounts. i can add cc, attachment, compose, save draft, or discard. those are the only options. since i have a lot of email addresses, i need to be able to select which email account an email is going out from. i have to use a work email address to send out work things and personal email address for my own stuff. it seems it just wants to send out email from one account and it's not very intuitive to change accounts.

3. message loading. there are certain emails that if they have images attached, would hang on "loading" instead of actually fetching the message and images. no movement at all. this in turn locks all my other email accounts on infinite "loading" and they never do anything again unless i delete the account and redo the whole process of adding that email. i'm not sure if it's because of the amount of pictures in the email or what. is the motorola droid able to load emails with 10mb worth of pictures? sure it will take long but shouldn't the loading animation be moving? or does it just sit there?

4. when i type on the blackberry, it will do certain things like capitalize at the beginning of a sentence, punctuate at the end after two spaces, AND auto punctuate words that need apostorphe. while the droid does the first two, it doesn't seem to want to add an apostrophe to certain words that need it. i guess i have just gotten used to the blackberry doing it for me but since on a droid it actually requires several keystrokes to actually get an apostrophe, i'd like it to be able to add that automatically. the only way i've found so far is to add contracted words in the dictionary. do i have to do that for every contracted word? because prior to doing that, it wouldn't auto-complete contracted words even though the settings i have on the device and screen keyboards say it would auto-complete and correct errors.

5. facebook notifications. on a blackberry you get facebook notifications like you would messages. it would indicate that you have them. the one on the droid however doesn't seem to do that. it's up to you to open it to see if there are any changes.

thanks for any help. i like this device, but if it can't do what i need it to do, then i'll have to go back to my tour... and it's trackball. >_<

Ok, I'm gonna see what I can help you with, like yourself I let go of my BB Bold for the Droid and came to realize that "I'm not in Kansas anymore" so to speak.

But anyway, re: #5 Facebook - By default your FB Notification Ringtone is set to Silence, as well as the FB Phone LED is disable and the FB Vibrate too. So you need to open Facebook > Settings > flick to the bottom of the list and > enable > enable > choose a ringtone. After that you should be ready to become aware of your FB updates.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    Ok, I'm gonna see what I can help you with, like yourself I let go of my BB Bold for the Droid and came to realize that "I'm not in Kansas anymore" so to speak.

But anyway, re: #5 Facebook - By default your FB Notification Ringtone is set to Silence, as well as the FB Phone LED is disable and the FB Vibrate too. So you need to open Facebook > Settings > flick to the bottom of the list and > enable > enable > choose a ringtone. After that you should be ready to become aware of your FB updates.
    the facebook notifications i'm talking about is an icon on top of the phone where it normally indicates that i have mail, instant message, downloads, etc. doesn't do that for facebook. i actually don't want it to make any sound, vibrate, or led flash whenever i get a notification, but i do want to see an icon at the top of my phone where the message indicator is. blackberry does this with no hassle or setup.

Oh, Ok, guess now I know why some have said FB for Droid sucks
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    Oh, Ok, guess now I know why some have said FB for Droid sucks
    yea the thing also is that on the blackberry one, there is a notification box where it pools together all the responses to you in which you could click and comment directly from the app itself. on the android one, it does show you who responded to what but you have to click and be on the web in order to respond, else you have to go back on the app and hunt down the posts where the responses are. >_<

still, my biggest problem right now is emailing. i can't get yahoo to work even with the imap settings located in the tutorial. either yahoo is blocking google or something else is going on.

for #5, get bloo from the marketplace

it's much much better than the native facebook app

I miss the BB IM notification. you could be alerted when a instant message contact signed on or changed his/her status. they need that for the Droid

I just set up email notifications on FB. I get an email whenever anyone responds (which shows me their response), tags me in a pic, etc. I can either respond by replying to the email, or I can click on the link in the email that takes me to the thread on the touch site. Works great for me! I DO get notifications in the notification bar if someone sends me an inbox message on FB, as well as the other things you can set in preferences.

In your settings, "messages" means actual inbox messages and not posts. That's why you have to set up email notifications on FB for PC.

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Re #4, if you want automatic apostrophes, the trick to is to type a partial word, followed by a space. For example, if you want "we'll" with the apostrophe automatically added, type "wel" and then space.

Quote Originally Posted by the virus View Post
    I miss the BB IM notification. you could be alerted when a instant message contact signed on or changed his/her status. they need that for the Droid
    Anyone know of an app that does this? Notifies you when a IM contact changes their status from unavailable to available...

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

Give MailDroid a try. I also needed yahoo, but i stay on wifi most of the day. maildroid works on yahoo and hotmail even on wifi. it is the closest to BIS to me.
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by the virus View Post
    Anyone know of an app that does this? Notifies you when a IM contact changes their status from unavailable to available...
    It would be great If someone new if this doesnt exist so I can stop/continue searching for it....

So let me get this straight, you went from a world class emailing device to the Droid and subsequently consumed by how it doesn't perform like a Blackberry? Good luck to you.